Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Lightbulb Should the Timewalkers Become A Playable Class? [5.4 Spoilers, suggestions]

Origins of the Timewalkers
    The Timewalkers are a new faction in WoW that was mainly in a few TCG expansions, it was their job to 'police the timeways' after the Bronze Dragonflight became more 'mortal', after the Fall of Deathwing. They are introduced in 5.4 on the Timeless Isle as a faction that is 'investigating' the Isle. A few of the characters from the TCG are there on the Isle. However, they are also introduced there as having different titles, like Historian, Weaver, Warden, and Watcher. However, I took a look at the way they are presented on the Isle:

Presented as Roles
    And it seems a lot more like they are presented in their dialog as a class. One, the Warden says that he is a 'staunch defender'. The Weaver says they 'repair the timeways', and the Watcher says they are like a 'scout'. You have a tank, a healer, and a dps role right there. Could you make a class out the Timewalkers? What would they do? They seem to be an arcane faction, relying on temporal magic, as the Weaver is wearing the mage armor tier from Dragon Soul... And the Warden is wearing plate armor. Would it be interesting to have a class with different specs that wear entirely different armor classes, or just a pain? Of course, studying the card set I see that the weaver is also a 'bloodmage', something that you see in WoW only in a few places, and even then, only by blood elves near the Dark Portal to Outland. Ah, but a mage nonetheless. Bianca is also a mage in the TCG. There are battlemages in WoW, and they do wear heavier armor than regular mages. It would be interesting to see a battle mage type class introduced.

The Arcane Art of Time Travel?
    Already, though, the mage class is starting to get a lot more 'time' based spells, having Slow for quite some time, Alter Time, Time Warp. Obviously the control of time is an arcane magic. If there were a Timewalker class, it would be a more time-based class, probably 'rolling back people to a point of past health' or something. It would certainly be a support class, and i could see there being a lot of ranged attacks or blinking away or stopping enemies in their tracks. I see that the faction in the TCG encompasses a lot of classes, actually, there are Timewalker druids, Lightsworn, etc. But I would assume that the actual travelling in time is done by mages and some form of arcane magic. This is odd, as that would be the realm of the Kirin Tor and the Blue Dragonflight... so the Timewalkers has to be something completely different than mages... or there is some overlap into the arcane and the temporal to a degree... Most of the temporal things you see in the game are a kind of bronze or yellow color, while arcane is more purple-looking... if you go to the Caverns of Time, there's a lot of purple energy just swirling around the place... It would be interesting to see more of the time travel element in WoW, more paths to travel in in the Caverns of Time...

An Expansion?
    Now, also, keep in mind that most classes relate in some way to the expansion that they are in. Death knights made sense in Wrath because we were fighting the Lich King. Monks made sense because they are related a lot of the lore of the Pandaren. What kind of an expansion would there be for us to have time-traveling mages? Some kind of Time Travelling expansion? Obviously, you would have the freedom to explore the many possibilities of WoW, the past, the future, alternate presents... that would be kind of interesting, you travel to the past, to some important event, you change something, and the whole world is phased differently to you, as you have altered something, but that alteration lets you get to some new thing... that would make for an interesting expansion, especially to the people who are always clamoring for 'bring back vanilla servers'. Maybe with a time travel expansion you could offer such options to players? Of course, I suppose you would have to ask who the villain of such an expansion would be, I would guess Murozond? Or some other thing that corrupts the Bronze Dragonflight, or some paradoxical event that as a Timewalker, and with the help of the Timewalkers, you are to defeat. It would certainly be a change from the typical, "here's some new places to explore" expansions of the game.

Do I think they will actually DO this though? Maybe not in the next expansion. Maybe not ever. But it's nice to dream... What do you think? If they were a class, what kind of abilities do you think they would have? Or what kind of things would you want to see in a time travel expansion? A futuristic Azeroth? Events in history that have not yet been explored by the Caverns of Time? What would you change in the world?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice theory, I really enjoy the idea of a Time-focused class I also think the tank model could have some really interesting mechanics.
    Would personally love to see a spell that slows down the game to you, and makes it so you move incredibly fast to others, although that's probably impossible :P

Only thing is they'd have to kind of take some of the mage spells and give them to this new class, eg. Alter Time, Slow, Time Warp.

And it would probably have to be the expansion after next, I doubt they'd put in another new class when they've just introduced Monk. Although I could definitely see the Timewalkers be an interesting faction in a Burning Crusade themed expansion like the next is probably going to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmmmm Sound theory, and the three specs do make sense.

They could wear mail, and that DPS spec could be anything. They're also highly original, and the corresponding expansion could make a lot of sense with all the phasing and everything else Blizzard is currently doing. They could also be a full hybrid class.

They definitely fit all the missing pegs that the 12th class could fill. Very cool, and very interesting. I think I actually like this as much as the Tinker concept.

EDIT:

You should have made a poll dude.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-08-02 at 02:33 PM.

If there is a new class to be introduced in 6.0 I hope it will be Timewalkers <3 So much awesomeness could be achieved! But in general I don't want a new class in 6.0, they have to balance the already existing tank and healer specs...Monks stealing rDruids niche, Warriors and Guardians being replaced by DKs and Monks... that definately needs some work!

Quote Originally Posted by myathe View Post
    The Arcane Art of Time Travel?
    Already, though, the mage class is starting to get a lot more 'time' based spells, having Slow for quite some time, Alter Time, Time Warp.
    Mages spells, correct

So to answer your question "Timewalkers become a playable class?", no.
    You kinda answered your own question, tho.

As you see that Mage is already the unofficial "time travelers" with their Teleporting, Alter Time, Time Warp, Blink, Slow, etc

Seriously, Mages are the unofficial timewalker. They use the arcane powers to bend time and space to their will.
    Last edited by Tyrael the Impatient; 2013-08-02 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael the Impatient View Post
    Mages spells, correct

As you see that Mage is already the unofficial "time travelers" with their Teleporting, Alter Time, Time Warp, Blink, Slow, etc

Seriously, Mages are the unofficial timewalker. They use the arcane powers to bend time and space to their will.
    Well to be fair, there is space for a full hybrid class that focuses ONLY on time magic. Its sort of like how Shaman also use fire magic, but they just dabble in it, while Mages completely master it. Or how Balance Druids have Arcane spells where Mages have a full Arcane spec. This could work in a similar fashion, because time magic is extremely broad conceptually.

Also, there's some lore within the game to make this a feasible concept. Mages are linked to the Blue Dragonflight, Druids are linked to the Green Dragon Flight. A class linked to the Bronze Dragonflight isn't a far off concept.

I'd take this over demon hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    I'd take this over demon hunters.
    Same here. I'd take this over Tinkers too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Hmmmmm Sound theory, and the three specs do make sense.
    Wouldn't this stomp your theory that only WC3 heroes can become WoW classes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    IF this class was to be implemented, yes it would. However, I have no problem admitting I'm wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    I like this theory, but as already mentioned in the thread Time magic seems to be a more mage-like concept. Don't get me wrong, I've been dying for a more mage-like tank, but I'm just skeptical about new classes as of this moment.

BUT, in favor of your theory:
    - The class could most certainly wear mail. That not only gives another int-mail wearing class, but fills the final armor class that doesn't have 3 classes to wear it.
    - Time magic can be viewed in some ways as a support ability. There hasn't been a major confirmation that the next class will have support abilities, but from recent comments, they DO appear to want more support abilities around.
    - Full hybrid. Tank, DPS, and Healer. The game always needs more tanks and healers, and every class needs to be able to DPS.
    - More use for Intellect shields, perhaps? A tank that uses Intellect instead of Agility would be a new thing. And it seems to fit their active mitigation model for tanking; Uses spells to protect and heal itself instead of just reducing damage.

I'd be down for Timewalkers.
    An INT-based tank would be VERY interesting. It was already proved possible with Warlocks, so we know that its doable if the stats are worked out correctly.

In terms of abilities, they would have to become very inventive or else it would be horribly lame, or horribly OP.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Why? WHY? WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP SAYING THAT DRAGONS ARE MORTAL NOW?! Dragons ARE NOT MORTAL! Even Blizzard has clarified this! The only thing that the Aspects lost were their Titan-gifted powers! They are still extremely long-lived, ancient beings of physical power and magical prowess! They aren't mortal, so stop CALLING them mortal! The 'Age of Mortals' was simply a Medivh thing, saying that the power to protect the world has passed into the hands of normal folk like the players and mortal NPCs.

-Calms down-

That said, I'm really all for a new class. Whether it be Tinker, Timewalker, Demon Hunter, what have you. This could be a very interesting class to play, and I'd be for it.

This sounds awesome, would take this way over demon hunters or tinkers aswell. Does it come with a TARDIS mount?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    Remember when he said that demon hunters didn't stand a chance because there are already enough spells on the warlock demo spec that act like a demon hunter? How is this different? And if the answer, teriz, is that the spells that make the demon hunter are already in the demo lock then I redirect you to the poster above, where he points out that according to you, only WC3 heroes can become classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    Remember when he said that demon hunters didn't stand a chance because there are already enough spells on the warlock demo spec that act like a demon hunter? How is this different? And if the answer, teriz, is that the spells that make the demon hunter are already in the demo lock then I redirect you to the poster above, where he points out that according to you, only WC3 heroes can become classes.
    Read post #6.

As for WC3 heroes and classes, IF this becomes the next class, that simply means that Blizzard always intended the Tinker and Alchemists heroes to be professions and nothing more. If that is the case, then so be it. In the end, that is up to Blizzard, not me. That would also mean that there would be no more heroes to utilize for classes, so Blizzard would have to go outside the hero and unit templates from WC3 and pull elsewhere from lore.

If you read any of my posts, you would note that I said many times that if you have a better concept that fills all the 12th class gaps, I'm all ears. Well, this is the best one I've heard in a very long time, and its backed by evidence within the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd re-roll my mage for this. I'm a huge fan of the bronze flight. I noticed the three roles when I first came across info on them too, and wondered if it would be a possible new class. I hope it is!

It's interesting, but I don't think it can be a class. Those NPCs you talk to are in the TCG. All classes are part of the Timewalkrs in the TCG, one of those mages is a bloodmage. The other just frost spec'd. The warden is just a warrior. They'd have to much further for it to be a class, but at the moment it just looks like adventurers helping the bronze dragons.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Why? WHY? WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP SAYING THAT DRAGONS ARE MORTAL NOW?! Dragons ARE NOT MORTAL! Even Blizzard has clarified this! The only thing that the Aspects lost were their Titan-gifted powers! They are still extremely long-lived, ancient beings of physical power and magical prowess! They aren't mortal, so stop CALLING them mortal! The 'Age of Mortals' was simply a Medivh thing, saying that the power to protect the world has passed into the hands of normal folk like the players and mortal NPCs.
    1. Source it, where did Blizzard supposedly say this?
    The champions who fought at our side assured the survival of our world. But now, we must see it with mortal eyes.
    Alexstraza in DS cinematic
    I am Lara, agent of the Timewalkers, a group of scholars and adventurers who strive to protect the timeways in this age of newly-mortal dragons.
    A letter that comes with the Timeless isle intro quest http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=104114/c...arcel#comments

Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    It's interesting, but I don't think it can be a class. Those NPCs you talk to are in the TCG. All classes are part of the Timewalkrs in the TCG, one of those mages is a bloodmage. The other just frost spec'd. The warden is just a warrior. They'd have to much further for it to be a class, but at the moment it just looks like adventurers helping the bronze dragons.

1. Source it, where did Blizzard supposedly say this?
    2. Alexstraza in DS cinematic
    A letter that comes with the Timeless isle intro quest http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=104114/c...arcel#comments
    They could treat the tcg like they did the rpg books, take bits they want as canon and change/scrap things as they please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    They could treat the tcg like they did the rpg books, take bits they want as canon and change/scrap things as they please.
    Yeah, I don't think anyone is saying that this is definitely the next class, but it definitely could be. It has all the trimming for it, even down to spec names and roles.

Granted they could just be seeding them as an important faction that will return later in the game as a third party faction, but it is possible it'll be a class. If so I think it'll be the first class to be seeded like this though. It could be interpreted either way. It's fun to speculate, but yeah this is a far cry from confirmation on a new class.

As far as mages go, I don't think this would cause too much overlap. Fire mages and destruction warlocks both have fire spells for example. And mages only have three time based spells that I know of. So they could potentially introduce a time based class that feels distinct from arcane mage.

The demon hunter on the other hand, has had all of its WC 3 abilities given to other classes in some form or another. Even if the match isn't 100%, you're not going to GET a 100% functionality swap from WC 3 to WoW because they've different genres. Demon form/immolation to warlocks, mana burn to priests (and then removed with all other mana attacking spells) and evasion given to rogues, and dodge in general belonging to all classes. So not only would demon hunters be a second 'edgy' class with its lore tied up in demons, it'd also have to totally reinvent itself to deal with the fact all its abilities have been used, which would upset people who want them in their WC3 incarnation. The death coil thing with death knights/warlocks was a much more minor issue because warlock DC didn't function ANYTHING like DK DC.

I think there's just too much overlap there. But with timewalkers, sure mages have a few time based spells, but there's not a preset idea to most WoW lore fans on what a timewalker has ability wise. They could make up a whole slew of time based abilities without making them copies of the three mage time based spells, because there are no iconic timewalker spells since they're not a pre established thing like demon hunters.

Granted, timewalker isn't the class we'd get next if it was up to my personal preference, but I could see blizz making it working.
    Last edited by Florena; 2013-08-02 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael the Impatient View Post
    Mages spells, correct

I agree. Mages have a pretty tight hold on anything to do with time. Could Timewalkers be an extended class version for mages? Although this would warrant every class getting extensions... who knows...

10+ Year Old Account
    so, the playable race would be like a Doctor Who character?
    Hi