Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question HOLY: Mastery rating

Is there a rating when Mastery is worthless for holy priest?
    Should I reforge some to Crit to get bigger EoL?

Thanks

Whallee-Zuljin
    (can't link armory now, first thread)

10+ Year Old Account
    No, Mastery pretty much is always good for us.

Crit generally just leads to more overheal, and the change to your EoL is kind of miniscule compared to the consistent increase from Mastery.

I armoried you...and I can't help myself, so I'm going to poke you a bit:

1) Gemming for pure Mastery is generally never a good idea. You'd be much better off going with Artful gems in your red and yellow slots (Int/Mastery) and something like Zen gems in your blue slots (Mastery/Spirit).
    2) Try getting some more Haste. Haste up to the 4717 breakpoint is amazing for Lightwell/Lightspring.
    3) Really would encourage you not to take non-Spirit pieces if at all possible. They really don't help you.
    4) Change your glyphs. Glyph Lightwell and Lightspring and the third glyph is up to you. You can keep the Glyph of Binding Heal, but try to only use it when you have a Lucidity proc.

Are you healing 10 man or 25 man?
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Gemming for pure mastery is a bad idea like it was previously said, try int/mastery spirit/mastery i use spirit and int gems too.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...allee/advanced so people can click on it to have a look.

Not sure why people do orange gems in red and yellow sockets at the same time. You either want to do:

1) red or prismatic/worthless socket bonus(full main stat) yellow(half main stat +half best secondary stat) blue(main stat +spirit or hit or stam depending on role)

or

2) yellow or prismatic/worthless socket bonus(full best secondary stat if it is worth more than half the amount of your main stat) red(half main stat +half best secondary stat) blue(best secondary stat +spirit or hit or stam depending on role)

there is no reason to do anything different really except a few cases with stam/avoidance stacking for tanks or rune of re-origination type secondary stat balancing

edit: OT, mastery is never better than int for holy so if you aren't doing full spirit blues half spirit half int reds and half spirit half mastery yellows then you want to be doing half spirit half int blues full int reds and half int half mastery yellows
    Last edited by Vicarious; 2013-08-03 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    4) Change your glyphs. Glyph Lightwell and Lightspring and the third glyph is up to you. You can keep the Glyph of Binding Heal, but try to only use it when you have a Lucidity proc.
    And for the love of god, get rid of the PoM glyph. Especially with the 2pc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    Not sure why people do orange gems in red and yellow sockets at the same time. You either want to do:

1) red or prismatic/worthless socket bonus(full main stat) yellow(half main stat +half best secondary stat) blue(main stat +spirit or hit or stam depending on role)

or

2) yellow or prismatic/worthless socket bonus(full best secondary stat if it is worth more than half the amount of your main stat) red(half main stat +half best secondary stat) blue(best secondary stat +spirit or hit or stam depending on role)

there is no reason to do anything different really except a few cases with stam/avoidance stacking for tanks or rune of re-origination type secondary stat balancing

edit: OT, mastery is never better than int for holy so if you aren't doing full spirit blues half spirit half int reds and half spirit half mastery yellows then you want to be doing half spirit half int blues full int reds and half int half mastery yellows
    I prefer having a mixture of secondary stats. I don't like gemming pure Secondaries because then I lose Int. I don't like gemming pure Int because then I lose Secondaries (which will be important with T16 unless they decide to change the way the gear is statted, which I really want them do but don't hold out hope that they will).
    Last edited by TirielWoW; 2013-08-03 at 11:49 PM. Reason: I fail at grammar.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

15+ Year Old Account
    When raiding 25man don't bother getting any haste cap, gem prio spirit and mastery comes 2nd. Nerfing your EoL for a lightspring tick is ridiculous. You can never have too little mastery and crit is indeed mainly useless. (Don't bother looking at my reforges/stats and forge your spirit away ;p, it's still my shadow spec reforge).
    But yeah seeing you took the renew glyph my guess is 10man (or else, that slot is useless).

15+ Year Old Account
    I heal 25 hc's. Mastery value depends a lot of encounter design. Steady AoE makes it worth much more than burst fights. Overhealing % can be really high for EoL, thus I like a mix of Haste & mastery (I go with around 50/50). Faster heals is always good if you have enough regen for it, so I've always been a fan of a good portion of Haste myself, not because of Haste plateus, but speed.

If there will be a lot of fights with steady AoE in SoO I will probably switch to a more Mastery heavy gearing

Deleted
    It's also very dependent on your other healers. It's more noticeable in a 10man. If your other healer(s) allow your mastery to top people off instead of spam overhealing everyone then it'll have a much greater benefit. Something as simple as people showing 'incoming heals from hots' on their raid frames for example can make a huge difference

Mastery *can* be sub-par as Holy... if you are healing 10man normals, for example, or any content where people are routinely topped off for a large duration of the fight. Even on content where there is a lot to heal, haste builds where you refresh rolling renews with Heal in yellow chakra are quite effective.

Have people forgotten that Haste is not just about breakpoints?

Quote Originally Posted by meddle View Post
    blasphemy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    When raiding 25man don't bother getting any haste cap, gem prio spirit and mastery comes 2nd. Nerfing your EoL for a lightspring tick is ridiculous. You can never have too little mastery and crit is indeed mainly useless. (Don't bother looking at my reforges/stats and forge your spirit away ;p, it's still my shadow spec reforge).
    But yeah seeing you took the renew glyph my guess is 10man (or else, that slot is useless).
    I raid 25 man Heroic content. The 4717 Lightspring breakpoint is absolutely amazing on any encounter with enough damage for you to shine. Which, incidentally, means that your Echo of Light is ticking a lot, too. On progression fights, I've seen Lightspring do 4-5% or more of my overall healing. While Echo Of Light does more, it also overheals much more than Lightspring tends to. They are both good, and ignoring Lightspring's potential because all you can see is pew pew numbers is a bit silly. :-\

Quote Originally Posted by meddle View Post
    Mastery *can* be sub-par as Holy... if you are healing 10man normals, for example, or any content where people are routinely topped off for a large duration of the fight. Even on content where there is a lot to heal, haste builds where you refresh rolling renews with Heal in yellow chakra are quite effective.

Speaking from a 25 man perspective, no, I haven't forgotten that Haste is about more than Breakpoints. However, telling someone to bump up to 4717 at least ensures that they are getting more bang for their buck out of one of our most powerful spells - Lightspring/Lightwell. I personally sit around 5,000 Haste because I like how it feels.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I'm raiding 10men normal content with heroic progression. My EoL represent 30% of my healing in average. I'm always 1st healer, and get 6 ranked this patch (5.3)! The point is that i'm wondering if switching to an Haste/Mastery spec will increase my healing ... Using Renew/Ligthwell/Cascade /etc ...

here's one of my WoL for Heroic Tortos:
    worldoflogs.com/reports/vjtc6wnylhoe3odl/sum/healingDone/?s=3547&e=3868#Whallee

My rotation is mostly: PoH/PoM(on CD + on proc for instant chain healing), CoH(on CD), Halo(1sec. before massive damage) and DH(after massive damage).

I'm raiding with a Shamy and Pally heal.

Thank's for reply tho.

heres my thinking

The raid damage in 25h is very high and I never run oom and wipe because I can no longer put out healing we wipe because the damage was higher than our responsive healing outside of planned CDs. I never forgo spirit but it is never a choice of spirit or int, I always pick int because holy's burst is its strong point and every instant heal I cast should be as fucking ridiculous as humanly possible. For food flask and trinkets they make the decision for us because they don't even make it near 2:1 spirit int its the same amount except for alchemist's flasks and that's only 160 more spirit than you get extra int so who gives a shit. All of that seems pretty much set in stone to me. The only way it would be different is if you're under-geared and need to gem/flask/food etc spirit or whatever but if you've got the LMG and spirit on nearly every piece in the 530+ ilvl range and still go oom its a spell selection error plain and simple, stop padding.

So the decision to me is what to do for gems where the socket bonus is worthwhile and reforging. Well sometimes the decision is easy, I want the socket bonus and the socket is blue- its going to be a purified gem. Yellow sockets get either full int if the bonus sucks or, most of the time, a mastery int gem(or haste int if balancing a breakpoint) simple. Now I want to figure out what to do with reforging when I cant get more spirit or int and here is the only part I think is negotiable for 25 man heroic. First off crit is out, sorry if anyone thinks its good they are wrong and I don't care to have a big argument about it. Haste and mastery both have their places breakpoints and not, and my thinking is the only place that more mastery wouldn't mean more overhealing is the same situations that a better haste breakpoint would mean much more than that extra mastery because of lightspring and glyphed renews(not sure why people dont get why they can be good sometimes even in 25 man, when damage is bursty and you heal the raid up in less than 8 seconds whats the point in a 50% wasted duration renew?) So therefore I go with 4253 haste(goblin) and the rest into mastery, haste is good for faster casts sure but I don't really care too much about that as after this new FDCL change we are more about instant casts than we already were and you get a pretty comfortable cast and GCD at the 4253 breakpoint.
    Last edited by Vicarious; 2013-08-04 at 11:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    heres my thinking

The raid damage in 25h is very high and I never run oom and wipe because I can no longer put out healing we wipe because the damage was higher than our responsive healing outside of planned CDs.
    I think this is why we're saying different things. I do go OOM on progression, and have several times during raid testing already. Now, I will grant you that was before I got my HLG (I haven't seen a progression fight since then except on the PTR, since I didn't get the trinket until we were finished with the damn tier), but I don't pad. I wasn't OOMing from padding. I was OOMing because we were underhealing the encounter (at the time) or had a healer dead and there was a lot of raid damage out and I was doing my best to keep up. I had to keep people alive, and I will cast whatever is necessary to do that.

I still don't understand your disdain for the Lightwell/Lightspring breakpoint, tho.

Edited to Add: I especially don't understand it when you're actually hitting that breakpoint already. Just the Goblin version of the breakpoint. -_-
    Last edited by TirielWoW; 2013-08-05 at 04:08 AM.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WalleeZuljin View Post
    I'm raiding 10men normal content with heroic progression. My EoL represent 30% of my healing in average. I'm always 1st healer, and get 6 ranked this patch (5.3)! The point is that i'm wondering if switching to an Haste/Mastery spec will increase my healing ... Using Renew/Ligthwell/Cascade /etc ...

here's one of my WoL for Heroic Tortos:
    worldoflogs.com/reports/vjtc6wnylhoe3odl/sum/healingDone/?s=3547&e=3868#Whallee

My rotation is mostly: PoH/PoM(on CD + on proc for instant chain healing), CoH(on CD), Halo(1sec. before massive damage) and DH(after massive damage).

I'm raiding with a Shamy and Pally heal.

Thank's for reply tho.
    Haste to PoH 2.0 second cast mark (8089 I think), mastery after that. Spirit holds higher value than Int up until you have enough regen to successfully complete the most taxing mana fight you are facing. This assumes your current style of healing.

You could also opt to go for 13163 haste and run a serenity build. After that you budget spirit mostly and crit after that. Both are viable, serenity build has a higher skill cap and more throttling on heals.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    Haste to PoH 2.0 second cast mark (8089 I think), mastery after that. Spirit holds higher value than Int up until you have enough regen to successfully complete the most taxing mana fight you are facing. This assumes your current style of healing.

You could also opt to go for 13163 haste and run a serenity build. After that you budget spirit mostly and crit after that. Both are viable, serenity build has a higher skill cap and more throttling on heals.
    ...why would you ever want that much Haste? I just...why? And...Crit?!!!!!!!!!
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Half in shadow, half in light and all in the fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post

No. That much haste is....just no. Mastery>Haste for 25 man. And if 10 man you would be gearing around a renew break point most likely. Lightwell having an extra tick is nice but look at what makes up the bulk of a high parsing holy's healing.

Echoes of light will be in the top three.
    Renew, Lightwell Renew, and Holy Word: Sanctuary ticks COMBINED will not make up more than 10% in 25 man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WinniPriest View Post
    No. That much haste is....just no. Mastery>Haste for 25 man. And if 10 man you would be gearing around a renew break point most likely. Lightwell having an extra tick is nice but look at what makes up the bulk of a high parsing holy's healing.

Echoes of light will be in the top three.
    Renew, Lightwell Renew, and Holy Word: Sanctuary ticks COMBINED will not make up more than 10% in 25 man.
    Even in 10 man, I can't see how Renew would be beefy enough to heal through some of the more intense damage.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I use glyphed renew on most fights and on heroic iron qon it is about 10%+ of my healing usually. Sanc isn't really something I care about for % of my total healing because its only important for buffing your burst healing and its good for that. Lightwell is usually fairly substantial as well; although it varies greatly on some fights and healer setups, I can't imagine a time they aren't 10% or more combined, for 25 man anyways.

not sure why you think I don't like the lightwell breakpoints?