Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lei Shen 10N Transitions

Having reached Lei Shen my group tends to have issues during the transitions, specifically the first transition phase when all the pillars are active. Sometimes we can overcome it but many of our wipes are during the first transition when he hits 65% (we haven't gotten to the 2nd one yet, closest was around 40%). At least once we had one group of two get oneshot by Static Shock despite being stacked (death logs showed both of them being hit for about 590k). Other times, we have a lot of those smaller adds that eat people because the tanks are stacked up elsewhere (I'm guessing that is due to people not spreading for the diffusion).

Any tips for dealing with this? Our group comp is:

Guardian Druid
    Protection Paladin (me)
    Resto Druid
    Disc Priest
    Holy Paladin
    Destruction Warlock
    Frost Mage (previously a Shadow Priest)
    Frost DK
    Beast Mastery Hunter
    Beast Mastery Hunter

I think our normal groups for the first phase is: Bear/Prot Pally (1), Druid/DK (2), Warlock/Hunter/Disc (3), Mage/Hunter/Holy Pally (4). The DK and the Druid were the ones who got oneshot by Static Shock (however this only happened a couple of times, seemingly at random). If we were to get to the second transition, the Druid and DK would probably go to different groups (Druid with the tanks, DK with probably the Mage/Hunter/Pally group).

First question is that sometimes the bear tank will charge off leaving me alone on a platform because he's going to round up adds that spawn. This sounds to me like people are screwing up and either not soaking the bouncing ball or being too close for diffusion, because from what I'm reading we should be getting few, if any, adds up and they certainly shouldn't be just destroying groups because the tanks aren't there, as you have to divide your group so it would be assumed there wouldn't be a tank available to grab adds.

Second question is regarding the static shock; as I said at least once the DK and Druid were stacked up and got hit for nearly 600k, killing both instantly. Since it happened very randomly (I think perhaps once more during that night, out of 8 or so attempts) is this some kind of bug, or were they not stacked correctly or something else? According to the DK he popped AMS and the Druid used Barkskin and it did all of nothing and both died instnatly. I've also read that things which make you immune can't be used to soak as the game will treat it as though you weren't there at all, and the remaining person will take all of the damage and presumably be oneshot.

Third question is to clarify the mechanics, because we sometimes get confused: You should always stay spread apart (except for tanks, as it seems none of the targeted abilities ever target a tank) for diffusion to minimize the adds, stack for Overcharged (that's the wave that stuns, correct?) and stack for Static Shock, and of course soak the blue swirlies so you don't get the bigger add(s). Do the small adds (Diffused something or other, I forget their name) have kill priorities? Also, during the first phase when they appear, are you meant to spread out for diffusion to get them to spawn, then have everyone stack to AOE/kill them, or am I thinking of the adds from P2? I recall on the Fatboss video there was something about spreading for adds, then stacking to kill them but I can't recall which phase that was in.

People not spreading for diffusion chain is pure fail, make those who fail to spread stop doing that.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can always try giving the tanks a pillar each (And then have them take one on the last transition), which will mean there's 4 people on each of the other platforms which should stop them from dying to the Shock.

The smaller adds killing you is because of not spreading. Just have them stay spread and then when something is about to blow (Overcharge/Shock) and has 1-2 sec left, they stack then.

Deleted
    I'd suggest going with only 2 healers. Nothing in this fight really warrants 3 healers. For transitions try 2-2-3-3 with groups of 2 consisting of 1 tank + 1 player that can solo soak static shock (mage/hunter in your set-up). The groups of 3 will have a healer and can easily split the damage between the 3 of them. Splitting like this will mean the abilities are more evenly spread out across all quarters, instead of 2 or 3 quarters having everything aimed at them. Both your tanks can also offheal a little on the mage/hunter.

Have the tanks take their own quadrant. they can only be targeted by bouncing bolts so worst case scenario is they get two. If this happens they soak one, pick up the add while soaking the second when it bounces again.

Static shock can be soloed by your hpala, hunters, warlock, resto dru and mage. If the disc priest or DK gets it then you need at least 3 people to share it, the more the merrier. If people immune it then the others need to stay the hell away.

The adds from diffusion chain, you should only spawn one. Make sure people are spread when that ability goes out. People stacked spawn more than one add. Nuke the shit out of it. It should die in no time.

Silly question, but you aren't letting any conduit gain levels, right? Have your druid Symbio mage for Iceblock (= solo static shock). You could drop healer as well, the only heavier (spikier) damage comes during transitions and late p3 (and even p3 can be solo healed, 3 healers is overkill).

Deleted
    We also started with both tanks together, but we eventually changed that to team them up with one player that can solo soak the Static Shock.
    All the other abilities don't hit the tanks, so both these groups are safe. (Tank 1+Warlock, Tank2 + Hunter1)

That leaves the other 6 people to be divided 2x dps with a healer.
    The disco priest cannot solo soak, so he needs two people with him that can, like hunter2+Mage

Not sure if the frost DK can (AMZ?), but the pally and resto druid (with symbiosis on mage) can, so that group is fine too.

So you have
    Transition 1:
    A Guardian Druid + Warlock *This corner is eliminated
    B Prot Pally + Hunter *This corner will be where you start P2, since the prot pally will have aggro
    C Disco Priest + Hunter + Mage
    D Resto Druid + Holy Pally + DK

Transition 2.. you can place both tanks together now, since they dont get hit. I would place the weaker two healers together, and the stronger one alone.
    A. ---
    B. Guardian Druid + Prot Pally
    C. Disco Priest + Hunter + Mage + WarlockfromA
    D. Resto Druid + Holy Pally + DK + HunterfromB

In honesty tho, You'll probably find it easier to 2heal this fight. The trick is to do the transitions properly, besides that there is really not that much to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivrax View Post
    Silly question, but you aren't letting any conduit gain levels, right? Have your druid Symbio mage for Iceblock (= solo static shock). You could drop healer as well, the only heavier (spikier) damage comes during transitions and late p3 (and even p3 can be solo healed, 3 healers is overkill).
    Fairly sure they aren't. I know we are usually a bit late on moving sometimes and one will get to around 85-86, but we get the right one (Diffusion) overloaded first so it seems to be working correctly. I tend to start moving Lei Shen a couple of seconds after Thunderstruck I think (the one where he throws the axe and it does less damage the further you are), when it gets around 70; the Druid sometimes delays until about 80 to start moving, so it goes up a bit more while he's moving but still in range.

I think people aren't spreading for diffusion, because most of our wipes we have people dying to the little adds, barring the crazy thing like somebody getting oneshot by static shock.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2013-08-07 at 02:55 PM.

Deleted
    First, we disable diffusion chains as that make intermission phase 2 a lot simpler (here you can then basically just stack whenever you are not catching bolts then)

Finally, the intermission phase is fixed. Diffusion chain comes first, then overcharge. Be sure that those people that have to run far run to positions at about 67% health and are spread 8 yards while doing so.

About the intermission phase 1:
    ( can advice /console cameraDistanceMax 50 and scroll to max distance during this phase)

This is the order of events (the number is seconds)
    T0: Diffusion Chain (Spread 8 yards while positioning)
    T2: Overcharge (At this point everyone should be in the back on their quandrants)
    T8: Overcharge explode (After explosion you have 4 seconds to catch bolts)
    T12: Static Shock (Ignore this warning, keep catching bolts)
    T13: Bolts land (After bolts have been caught, you have 7 seconds to get within 8 yards on static shock person. Do not hug, just get arms and hands within 8 yards)
    T20: Static Shock explode (After this explosion, get back to initial positions, spreading 8 yards)
    T25: Diffusion Chain (Note this is the last chain, spreading after this point is no longer needed)
    T25: Overcharge (Get to the overcharged person)
    T31: Overcharge explode
    T33: Static Shock (Ignore this warning, keep catch bolt. If your platform receives 3 bolts, the static shock person takes the center bolt)
    T37: Bolts land (Quickly get to the static shock target. If the bolts are far, allow one bolt to hit the ground and safe the static shock person)
    T41: Static Shock Explode (After explosion, go to platform where lei shen will be tanked first)

More info on bolts. After bolts are called, you will have 6 seconds before it lands. Likewise, if the bolt is not caught, it will land again after 6 seconds.

We found that the key to this encounter was the positioning.
    We used this as initial position (depending on having 2 or 3 people )
    (im sorry I'm not allowed to embed images)
    i40.tinypic.com/11tbynq.jpg
    i40.tinypic.com/27zyn43.jpg

And then boltcatching while static shock happens.
    i40.tinypic.com/15dv3oh.jpg

Also note hunters are very strong, they can solo deflect 2 static shock on their own using deterrence. Resto druid can get that ability and deflect 1 static shock. So having a tank + a hunter is the two 2 player groups is ideal (as you have two hunters).

Also, if e.g. you are stacking up for static shock, and some players use cooldowns it seems that then (sometimes) they players take a lot less damage but then others take more. We have had deaths in that way. So to be on the safe side, if people were stacking to soak static shock, no cooldowns were used.

The other groups that consist of 3, here all players should identify how they can survive a single hit of static shock. E.g. disc priest using shield + pain supression etc. Have them make a yell macro they use so people know not to stack them.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by mmocf6adffbbcd; 2013-08-07 at 03:18 PM.

All I know is we struggled on this fight for a bit, it was only on the intermissions. We learned that everyone in the area must stack for static shock and if possible, pop an absorb or damage reduction cd. But only those. Popping any sort of immune spell while stacked is a no no as it transfers damage to others (or something a long those lines anyways) and then they will go bye bye.

Eventually, we did it so once we got past the first, during the second, we didn't have to worry about diffussion chain, which made it a complete joke.

For the static shock damage, you want to see about getting dps to dps down the boss enough to where you don't have to be in the static shock quadrant for too long.The more power it gets, the more damage it deals.

Second, we have both tanks stand alone during first intermission (the adds from diffusion don't hurt enough to warrant a tank And a healer there). Each group has a healer other then the tanks since we cannot be targeted by most abilities. During second intermission I stay alone (prot paladin) while our other tank goes and pretty much grabs diffusion adds.

We usually take out bouncing bolt first, then over charge. The adds from discharge don't even hurt as long as who ever is tanking them stays away from everyone else. They are easily burned down. We have who ever can soak a static alone soak it. Druids symbo paladins so they can bubble through a static shock.

The fewer people that are hit by diffusion chain, the fewer that spawn. During second phase lightning balls spawn. I think those are why you stack and aoe em down. My group usually just stays stacked unless a diffusion chain is about to happen.

We managed to get to the second transition one attempt, and then I don't even remember what went wrong. Our RL said we should disable Overcharge first since I think we had people getting stunned before they could run into the bouncing bolts, and we spent the rest of the night trying that strat but we ended up no better off (still usually dying in 1st transition), so I think it's best to stay with disabling Diffusion first, as that seems to be the primary thing killing people, and it usually happens while we are spreading out to get into position so that also makes me think people need to be moving to their quadrants faster and before he actually teleports into the middle of the room.

Out of curiosity when should we be moving him from pillar to pillar? We normally let the one we want destroyed get around 84-85, and then usually close to 80 but we are hitting the transition phase sometimes just as he gets to the fourth pillar, like before he actually starts to charge it (this happened at least once) so I'm wondering if we should start moving him right after Thunderstruck goes off.

Deleted
    Phase 1: 100-65
    You start at the one you wanna remove (Diffusion) .. move him straight when decapitate hits the MT. (have the 2nd tank already stand on the edge to the next platform when he taunts. That one then ends at 96-98 energy,which is perfect.
    All other platforms: move straight after the Thunderstruck hits.

Phase 2: 65-30 .. move after the fusion slash, and END at the one you want to remove, since it will ding at least once. (*)

In order to have people arrive on time: start moving when the boss is at 66% and 31% .. dots will tick it down. At the 31% marker, be carefull that you have your Ball lightning adds, and overcharge (i assume you will level that) out of the way before pushing him trough.. stop dps at 34% ... wait for overcharge and adds .. push him through.

(*) You dont actually remove this, but it levels the highest so it will hurt the most. Overcharge doesnt hurt at all since it doesnt hit anyone when people are hugging properly.. That's why we dont solo soak either in P2 transition, only on P1.. In P2 transition, everyone just stands there and heal through the dmg when you have static shock(which doesnt hurt much since you didnt level it)
    Last edited by mmoce02695a3d4; 2013-08-08 at 11:47 AM.

Deleted
    The movement we did exactly as qwerty said as well.

However, we found that we had to prepare move at about 67-68%. Our positioning was such that we had 2 melee + 1 healer in the quandrant we were already in, and the players that had to go the opposite quandrant used a lock portal (1 disc priest + 1 lock). So basically we could have the 2 tanks, 2 melee, 2 healers, 1 ranged stay put, and it was only the 3 players (not counting tanks) that moved to the side quandrants that had to move early.

Remember ./range 8 using DBM while running to positions, then you will only 1 add for each cast diffusion chain.

Also can most definately advice to disable chains conduit. Overcharge is a lot easier to handle during phase 2+intermission phase 2 than chains. ( because in intermission phase 2 you can then basically stay hugged all the time unless you're cathing bolts.)

There are a few interesting things to note about the transition phases:

-all pillars get an additional level during this phase, so even if you didn't level up any of them during p1 they'll all be level 2 during transition phase.
    lvl 3 remains max lvl which means it doesn't really matter whether you level up a pillar once or twice, it'll be lvl 3 in either case.

-all pillars abbilities will be evenly distributed among all remaining quarters of the room, as long as there's a valid target in that quarter:
    bouncy balls don't need a target and are therefore distributed evenly all the times.
    tanks aren't valid targets for neither overcharge, static shock nor diffusion chain. therefor if there's a quarter with only tanks in it it will be only targeted by bouncing balls but nothing else.

usually in the first transition phase you'll want to have your tanks cover one quarter to just take all bouncys and not take anything else, since they're no valid targets. this leaves you with 2 groups of 2 dd and 1 heal, and one group of 1 dd and 1 heal. for this 2 man group it's importent to chose players that can avoid being one-shotted by the static shock. your frostmage with ice block and your pally or druid (symbiosis: ice block) should do, though there's a chance that they'll get targeted twice in one phase.

in the 2nd phase you'll be left with three quarters and can cover them with two 4-man group and the 2 tanks, but in this case you run into trouble if you've level the static shock or overcharge. These will then be level 3 an target 3 players at once, but since you only have 2 corners in which there are valid targets there'll be a corner which will be hit by two of them at the same time.
    also the biggest problem seems to be being hit by an overcharge while on the way to your corner at the beginning of the transition phase

When we first killed him we had the diffusion chain distroyed in the first round and then leveld up the overcharge in the 2nd round. we then had one group of 4 people standing in the corner in which we all were standing at the beginning of the transition phase. the second group of 4 people then used the demonic portal of our warlock to teleport to the neighbouring quarter and avoid being overcharged halfway through. the tanks could just walk to their quarter since they aren't targeted by anything and just need to catch the bouncys.
    The problem with this tactic is that it fails quite easily if you don't stack up all the time. if two players in the same corner that are not standing on top of each other are hit by overcharge all the players in that quarter can't avoid being hit by atleast one of them. so you need to stack up and only spread to catch the bouncys and imideatly after you need to stack up again.

to avoid this problem you can change the groups in such a way that all heal and dd just remains in the same quarter they'd been in the first transition and the tanks (which in this case had been in the quarter that's been destroyed) just go to different quarters supporting them. with this composition, even if leveled up you won't see two statics or overcharges in the same quarter. only problem is that not everyone can use the demonic portal to safetly go to their quarter. in this case you'd want one group to leave early before the transition phase begins and the two groups that can use the demonic portal and the one that's allready in the right quarter can finish the last ~2% before transitioning

destroying overcharge first is possible but i don't see a big benefit from this. in transition 1 you have to deal with it anyway and in transition 2 it gets even a little bit easier. just make sure to stand in the center of you quarter to not hit people from other quarters with your overcharge. Diffusion chain on the other hand can be quite painful if you have 4 people in one quarter. Also diffusion chain is the only thing that keeps you from just stacking up in the center of your quarter all the time (except for when you have to catch bouncys). if you do this in transition 2 the thread of hitting people from other quarters with overcharge becomes quite small.

for moving the boss: we usually start the fight at the pillar we want to have destroyed first. we keep the boss there until the first Decapitate and then have the 2nd tank taunt him from max range to the next pillar. this usually leaves the first pillar with 96-100 energy (and never leveld up for us). after this we usually start pulling him at around 70-80 energy, depending on how much dps you have (to avoid leveling the last one) and always pull them when nothing else is happening.
    for the 2nd round we start pulling him away from the first pillar at around 86-90 energy, the 2nd one at around 80, so it is lower then the first one and then keep him at the 3rd until transition phase. this way the 3rd one will be leveld but lately as our raid-dps increased we also managed to bring him into transition without leveling the 3rd one and he then destroyed the first pillar which also leaves us with half the platform for the final phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty006 View Post
    Phase 1: 100-65
    You start at the one you wanna remove (Diffusion) .. move him straight when decapitate hits the MT. (have the 2nd tank already stand on the edge to the next platform when he taunts. That one then ends at 96-98 energy,which is perfect.
    All other platforms: move straight after the Thunderstruck hits.

Phase 2: 65-30 .. move after the fusion slash, and END at the one you want to remove, since it will ding at least once. (*)

In order to have people arrive on time: start moving when the boss is at 66% and 31% .. dots will tick it down. At the 31% marker, be carefull that you have your Ball lightning adds, and overcharge (i assume you will level that) out of the way before pushing him trough.. stop dps at 34% ... wait for overcharge and adds .. push him through.

(*) You dont actually remove this, but it levels the highest so it will hurt the most. Overcharge doesnt hurt at all since it doesnt hit anyone when people are hugging properly.. That's why we dont solo soak either in P2 transition, only on P1.. In P2 transition, everyone just stands there and heal through the dmg when you have static shock(which doesnt hurt much since you didnt level it)
    Quoting the above poster as I have to agree with what they say as that's the standard tactic we use also.

@OP We move from Diffusion (East) as soon as the first decapitate happens. Second tank is already positioned halfway to Overcharge quarter (South) taunts and runs Lei Shen to that section. Then Lei Shen is moved on to each new section the very moment that Thunderstruck is cast. You should have him at 66% when you are in the 4th quarter Static Shock (North).

For the first transition have your two tanks at North. Have your other group of 2 people at either East or West which ideally should include the Holy Paladin, instead of the Resto Druid, as they can Bubble solo a Static Shock if needed, and possibly your Destruction warlock who, if glyphed and talented for Sacrifical Pact with Grimoire of Supremacy, should be able to solo a static shock if required also. The rest get split amongst the other two sections. Also have your Warlock setup at Gateway between North and South at the beginning of the encounter so the South team can get there fast for the first transition.

After that transition is over start at North and go West then South moving on to each next section when the Fusion Slash hits the tank. Stay at south until you hit the next transition. Then you can have a group of 3 or 4 use the gateway again to fast port to North with the rest spread among West and South as your raid leader sees fit (Best organised before you start the fight).

Second transition is easy as you can all stack in the circle of your respective quarter now that Diffusion Chain is gone and only spread to soak the blue swirls of the bouncing bombs then re-stack after.

Final Phase if you have done everything right should have half the room open and tanks put Lei Shen between the two quarters then taunt switch at around 10 stacks of Overwhelming Power. Everyone else spreads out before the Summon Ball Lightning is cast and then collapses in on tanks/melee to AoE them down then spreads out again after. In this last phase the Thunderstruck hits like a truck so make sure your raiders are well away from it when it explodes. Rinse repeat this stacking up and spreading out and moving away from thunderstruck until Lei Shen is flat on his face.

Deleted
    Our tactic is:

ROUND ONE:
    Start east on Diffusion Chain.
    Once tank A gets Decapitate have the other tank pull it south to the Overcharge plattform. Diffusion chain will be at 94-98.
    While you do that you will get one Overcharge .
    Now watch the new Overcharge timer. Pull the boss west as soon as the Bigwigs timer on Overcharge is at 8seconds.
    You reach the west platform with 1second left and Overcharge becomes Swirly pools. You have to do another tank swap because of Decapitate now.
    Once the boss does his Thundering axe it is time to move him north to the Static Shock platform. It is very important that you watch your dps. If you can pull it off the boss will be near 66% on the third platform already. So you can just pull him near the center area and finish off the last percentages. If you are missing to much just pull him to the static shock platform and wait for the first static shock. Make sure the platform guys watch the boss health to move in place in time.

PLATFORM PHASE:
    North - 2 tanks
    South - 1 heal with soak, 1 dps with soak
    East - 1 heal, 2 dps
    West - 1 heal, 2dps

ROUND TWO:
    The second runway starts North at static shock. You will go counter clock-wise. Chains are down so you can clump up in melee range. Use HERO now. The movement in this phase is very easy. You use the boss tank kick ability to swap platforms. No magic. Once you reach the Overcharge platform it depends on your dps how much is left until 30%. Have the tank get kicked to the center now. Finish off the last percents there if you are still missing some. Do not wait on the Overcharge platform. Just move to the center and nuke down the last percentages (if you got some left).

PLATFORM PHASE:
    North - 2 tanks
    South - 1 heal with soak, 1 dps with soak
    East - NONE
    West - 2 heal, 4dps

LAST PHASE:
    Every one is in melee range until the timer on Thundering axe is at 5 seconds. Now all ranged will move out until the axe has landed. Move back in since the adds will arrive. Nuke them in melee range. Rince / repeat. Loot.
    Since the boss timers are the same every pull it is very predictable and easily redoable.
    Last edited by mmoc48efa32b91; 2013-08-08 at 03:50 PM.

as far as diffusion chains go
    the main issue I've noticed people have is that diffusion chain go off like 2-3s after a person gets overcharge so if everyone rushes in asap on the person with overcharge everyone gets hit by diffusion chain
    so watch the timers ^^

OMG I feel like a total noob I didn't even consider the fact our Warlock can drop a Gateway to help people get to their quadrant faster.

I suggest you make the groups something along the lines of

Transition 1
    Guardian Druid , Protection Paladin

Resto Druid , Destruction Warlock , Beast Mastery Hunter

Disc Priest , Beast mastery hunter, DK

Hpally, Frost mage.

No one should really be dying to static shock, Hunters can get everyone alone with Deterence
    Hpally And Frostmage are wayyyy better to have alone because of double bubble and icelbock
    Also have your resto druid symbiosis one of the hunters for deterence to get rid of static shock as well..

You have only about 2-3 classes that actually should take damage from it.