Changing Racials

By and large there is much complaint about how the racials have worked for WoW and that some of them can be flat out stupid compared to others, lol Warstomp, so I thought about it and came up with this:

What if the racials that do modify how our characters act, such as Stoneform or Berserking, are removed from races themselves and rather becomes selected character traits. Cool things like racial traits, Cannibalise or Epicurean, stay so races don't loose out on their lore/flavor. Like playing a Dwarf but are a caster and would rather have a Haste buff? Be a dwarf and take the trait corresponding to it.

Traits:

Survivor: Acts as Every Man for Himself does currently.
    Hardy: Acts as Stoneform does currently.
    Blood Thirsty: Increase attackpower/spellpower.
    Blood Lust: Increase Haste of character
    Vigour: Heals character for an amount

These are just examples I know and probably poor ones at that but I think this would help. If someone wants to play PvP but really likes the idea of being Goblin then they simply take the Survivor trait and can still play the race they want without feeling they are loosing out on being a specific race or faction.

Thoughts?
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Everyone would pick the best. That's not a solution.

I'd like a racial revamp, even if it just made them more cosmetic and provided no battle benefit.
    I don't care enough about them to race change but it still smarts a bit that some are just objectively better than others for certain classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Everyone would pick the best. That's not a solution.
    How is it not better? The races are no longer tied to them so people play the race they want and benefit from taking the trait they feel they need.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.

Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    By and large there is much complaint about how the racials have worked for WoW and that some of them can be flat out stupid compared to others, lol Warstomp, so I thought about it and came up with this:

What if the racials that do modify how our characters act, such as Stoneform or Berserking, are removed from races themselves and rather becomes selected character traits. Cool things like racial traits, Cannibalise or Epicurean, stay so races don't loose out on their lore/flavor. Like playing a Dwarf but are a caster and would rather have a Haste buff? Be a dwarf and take the trait corresponding to it.

Traits:

Survivor: Acts as Every Man for Himself does currently.
    Hardy: Acts as Stoneform does currently.
    Blood Thirsty: Increase attackpower/spellpower.
    Blood Lust: Increase Haste of character
    Vigour: Heals character for an amount

These are just examples I know and probably poor ones at that but I think this would help. If someone wants to play PvP but really likes the idea of being Goblin then they simply take the Survivor trait and can still play the race they want without feeling they are loosing out on being a specific race or faction.

Thoughts?
    You should not be able to have it all. There should be trade-offs and decisions to make. You should not be able to be a gnome druid with shadow priest spec with few paladin spells and mage tier set. No. There is a plethora of options you can choose from. Race and racials are two of those and not every race should be available with any racial. There is dwarf race with dwarf racials and so on. Pick what suits you best. Get over it.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Custom Racials would be pretty awesome, in my opinion, but I don't think we could do it as all the racials. Maybe half of the racials you get are ones you can pick on your own? That would be pretty awesome. Everyone gets their two "x race only" racials that they have to have, and then three more racials from a big pool to choose from.

Or we could just leave them as they are and tweak them a little for the weaker ones to be better. -shrug-

Quote Originally Posted by gee View Post
    You should not be able to have it all. There should be trade-offs and decisions to make. You should not be able to be a gnome druid with shadow priest spec with few paladin spells and mage tier set. No. There is a plethora of options you can choose from. Race and racials are two of those and not every race should be available with any racial. There is dwarf race with dwarf racials and so on. Pick what suits you best. Get over it.
    Dude the issue is most people DON'T in fact pick what they want simply because they want to get the most out of their character. You blew what I said way out of proportion. When did I ever state half of the crap you spewed? All I want is for people to not be torn because they want to maximise.

Yes there are choices that we have to make like classes and races and with this you can be the class and race you want without feeling like you are wasting "available resources". This idea neither takes away from lore nor does it add anything in the game the isn't currently there and balanced with.

So read dude. It tends to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Custom Racials would be pretty awesome, in my opinion, but I don't think we could do it as all the racials. Maybe half of the racials you get are ones you can pick on your own? That would be pretty awesome. Everyone gets their two "x race only" racials that they have to have, and then three more racials from a big pool to choose from.

Or we could just leave them as they are and tweak them a little for the weaker ones to be better. -shrug-
    I think using racials is wrong though. Racials in this would be minor things like passives races have already. Yes sometimes, like Worgen, the passive parts people spout as broken or the main reason but in reality it isn't that major.

Things like EMfH and Berserking are both hard to balance around and far more game/race choice changing.

Dude the issue is most people DON'T in fact pick what they want simply because they want to get the most out of their character. You blew what I said way out of proportion. When did I ever state half of the crap you spewed? All I want is for people to not be torn because they want to maximise.

Yes there are choices that we have to make like classes and races and with this you can be the class and race you want without feeling like you are wasting "available resources". This idea neither takes away from lore nor does it add anything in the game the isn't currently there and balanced with.

So read dude. It tends to help.
    Perhaps you should read AND understand. What you ask for is a slippery slope, race and racials, what's next classes and specs?

L2makedecisions.

Perhaps you should read AND understand. What you ask for is a slippery slope, race and racials, what's next classes and specs?

L2makedecisions.
    How is that a slippery slope? You must have wanted to hide in a cave when they started the Blizzard store items.

L2makedecisions.
    Uh, a slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy... Saying "x will lead to y" is a slippery slope argument, which is what you're saying. You have empirically been proven inherently wrong just by the nature of your argument.

Honestly the ones that need revamped are human Everyman just due the sheer utility in pvp for obvious reasons and for pve Orc blood fury and troll beserking because honestly a racial shouldn't be something you macro into your large cd to make it fire and forget. All the other racials are pretty much balanced other than night elves should have a slight buff since their racials are avoidance based (ie drop avoidance racial for a new one called wisdom of the ancients that gives 1 percent mastery boost) and Draenei racial becomes instant iver a hot like desperate prayer.

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    Honestly the ones that need revamped are human Everyman just due the sheer utility in pvp for obvious reasons and for pve Orc blood fury and troll beserking because honestly a racial shouldn't be something you macro into your large cd to make it fire and forget. All the other racials are pretty much balanced other than night elves should have a slight buff since their racials are avoidance based (ie drop avoidance racial for a new one called wisdom of the ancients that gives 1 percent mastery boost) and Draenei racial becomes instant iver a hot like desperate prayer.
    I think the space goat one is like that already to be honest. It is a heal.

The thing is why remove cool down gained via a specific choice. Rather open them to everyone to let them pick the one they like most. Me I like the idea of a sprint, like that gained by worgen for my warrior, or others. Sadly as it stands we are stuck with be x with the bonus or y without it but be something you like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post

Doesn't rly make sense though, if we had shadowmelt on a human would look a little strange x) Or Orc or even tauren x)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Iv always had the thought of making out level 30 talents or even 15 to have one solely for PvP, one for PvE and one for hybrid of PvE/vP. Some of the racials make set classes better then others so like with ToT. Everyone rerolled troll pretty much for the + damage on beasts.

How is it not better? The races are no longer tied to them so people play the race they want and benefit from taking the trait they feel they need.
    and Blizzard loses out on tens of thousands of dollars from race changes. Don't get me wrong, I'd like it if something like this happened, but it never will.
    Last edited by Youvegotfail; 2013-08-08 at 06:54 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The answer isn't to make racials a choice. Because the OP option will still win.

The answer is to balance racials.

Give each race one of the following, an Active, Passive, Stat, Profession, and Cosmetic racial. Remove excess, add new ones, rework broken ones.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)