Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Being a Troll for ToT in particular was an extremely noticeable advantage. It's not always that big of a deal but for this tier it was anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Being a Troll for ToT in particular was an extremely noticeable advantage. It's not always that big of a deal but for this tier it was anyway.
    This, also duo to a couple of beast bosses (IQ, Horridon, Tortos, Megara).

Personally Im troll, and will stay troll as long as I am in my current guild, but if If I went less commited I would prob go undead or BE, or human/gnome if alliance.

I think that the answer that you are looking for is: what is most important to you. Yes, racials do matter, a bit. Is that bit important to you? Can you just play and not think about it? Does your guild mind. In case they do, do you really give a damn?

My main character is a caster, and I play as a blood elf because of the looks. I am in an average guild, with some hroic kills usually in a patch while current. Nobody cares about my character's race. They don't have to carry me either. So everything works fine.

The question is: can you do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
    It's more due to the fact that in PvE the extra dps you gain from the racials adds up. If there's 2 tanks and 17 dps (tanks at the moment at least are like dps), that's 19 players, if all of those players do let's say 1.5% more dps, let's say that 1500 dps, the entire raid gains 28500dps, over a 5 minute fight that's 8 550 000 damage. Ever had a boss wipe at 1-3% during progression? That's why it matters for those who want to push, but as many of the above people said, for those who do not want to rank or compete with the world's best guilds or PvPers, it really doesn't make a big difference.

Troll racial especially is good for when there's a short period of time when you have to nuke as fast as possible, or it'll essentially be a wipe, e.g. Dragon Soul - Spine of Deathwing HC. They can squeeze alot of extra damage into a small window.
    This is Argument No. 1, which in imho is a sound one logically on the surface; however if you look at what has to be done realistically to achieve the outcome (1.5% more dps per person) one is looking at a maximum of about $500 being spent just to get through a 1% wipe...thus making this argument rather unsound don't ya think?

Now I will acknowledge as stated in the quote this person does agree that if you aren't pursuing rank 1 the race you choose doesn't matter really. I'm simply addressing the argument at hand here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftyonred View Post
    Because it doesn't matter!

The dps difference is marginal, and equivalent to you accidentally delaying a shadowbolt by 0.2 sec 10 times in a fight, or some other human error.
    NOBODY plays the game like the sims does, and nobody in their right mind should expect them to.

Go watch some of the top guilds different wipes, look at the total dps for 3 random players, and divide that with the amount of minutes the fight lasted before they wiped.

if they were within 0.1% difference of themselves for each fight, THEN it would matter, but guess what, they are not!

Human error is an integral part of the game, and the amount of 1-2% wipes due to low dps, is almost non existent in progression guilds.

Get real please!
    And this is the counter argument to argument No. 1. This is 100% sound no matter however you look at it.

1-2% wipes are not due to lack of racials, its because you had 1-2 people (10 man) or 5-7 (25man) pulling low dps throughout the fight. So its much easier to just have those not pulling weight to actually pull their weight rather than to have everyone race change for 1.5% more dps...

To Conclude:
    Race 100% does not matter for dps unless you are a min/max player.
    Just because someone rolled a troll warlock doesn't mean they always win the top spot on meters over an undead warlock. The knowledge of the class and fight take far more precedence over a racial when it comes to dps preformance.

PS: World of Logs typically show people that successfully padded their numbers to huge amounts, and the top spots should almost always be ignored.

Deleted
    OP is not asking if he should spend money to go troll, he is already but he is doubting if he should go undead. If you ever want to do any semi-serious raiding, then I don't see how you can justify dropping 3,4% (straight from sim) damage for looks. It does not matter at all if you and the rest of your raid play perfectly or not, a damage increase will kill bosses and that's all there is to it.

Pushing transitions faster or killing adds faster is absolutely crucial in any kind of progression environment, not just ''1% wipes''. Just because you get a couple percent difference from pull to pull due to trinket procs, doesn't mean a few percent increase in ANY scenario is marginal.

There is really no argument at all for not being troll, except liking the way it looks. If that matters more to you and you are willing to hold your raid back because of it, then by all means go for it.

Is it worth your 20$ to go troll if you are not already? Depends if you can afford it, it's a lot of money for the change it brings. Is it worth not spending your 20$ and look a bit worse with the benefit of not holding your group back? Absolutely, unless you are very casual and don't give a damn about damage.

How many times do you wipe at 1%, 2% due to enrage? Most of the wipes I've seen in T14/T15 were due to deaths from personal failures, and we never saw a boss enrage. Yes, Trolls have a DPS advantage, followed by Orcs - 5% extra pet damage and the Blood Fury cooldown make the Orc easily worth consideration, provided you take Tome of Supremacy rather than Sacrifice. If you don't like the looks of the Troll, go to the barber shop. It's easy to make them look like a respectable Darkspear instead of a wild animal, especially females. You get hairstyles that you can't choose at character creation.

My choices were Tauren and Troll, so of course I took the superior choice. But god damn, we make ugly bears.
    Last edited by Tarazet; 2013-08-15 at 03:53 PM.

does anybody have a simulation comparing troll and orc racials ???

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kidace View Post
    does anybody have a simulation comparing troll and orc racials ???
    For my character currently: 238,2k (troll) vs 233,8k (orc). 1,9% increase, but keep in mind that does not include extra damage on beasts.

Racials matter alot!

I simmed my char Warlock ilevel 550 engy/ench with Troll vs Neutral DPS race(Gnome/human/dwarf/belf) here are the results, Target:Humanoid, Patchwerk, 10k iterations, Player Skill:ELite

Troll: 240071 dps, just for funnies if the target is a beast(lots of them in TOT) 246840 dps
    DPS neutral race: 231274 dps

And the idiotic ppl saying, haa but human error margin blablabla. That argument is flawed because if you play bad on a human you do less dps than if you play bad on a troll(unless you don't use bezerking at all but that isnt human error thats being stupid)
    Last edited by Hellfury; 2013-08-15 at 04:18 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, racials do make a difference.
    However, it's up to you to decide if those differences matter enough to justify playing something you don't enjoy (that much).