Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    lower back pain can lead to more serious injuries depending on how severe it is. I know you are a switched on guy, so you know this already but let me just say

go to a doctor.
    Hi

Keyboard Turner topmiamiplasticsurgery's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The low back, or lumbar area, serves a number of important functions for the human body. These functions include structural support, movement, and protection of certain body tissues.
    When we stand, the lower back is functioning to support the weight of the upper body. When we bend, extend, or rotate at the waist, the lower back is involved in the movement. Therefore, injury to the structures important for weight bearing, such as the bony spine, muscles, tendons, and ligaments, often can be detected when the body is standing erect or used in various movements.
    Protecting the soft tissues of the nervous system and spinal cord as well as nearby organs of the pelvis and abdomen is a critical function the lumbar spine and adjacent muscles of the low back.

Deleted
    Do deadlifts

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    I know that the first response will be go see a doctor/PT/Chiropractor but lets move past that for now.

So my dad had back problems and I do as well. Couple reasons why are I have terrible posture and I sit in a chair all day at work then go home and sit in a chair all day on my PC. I'm in decent shape (5'10", 160 pounds) and I exercise 4 times a week. For back strengthening I do two exercises: Chin-ups and I'm not sure what the second is called but basically it's like a row. I stand and hold a bar around my waist then pull it up to shoulder level (the bar stays under the elbows).

For me my lower back is the main trouble spot. I've gone to PT who gave me some exercises to do (supermans, stretching, etc) but it was only a minor improvement so I stopped doing it. I've thought about yoga as well but never done it. At this point it's unlikely my posture will drastically improve as I've had bad posture all my life (hunch over). Other recommendations are getting a massage once a week which is not practical as it is far too expensive. Additionally, the PT I went to seemed like he knew some chiropractic stuff as he would realign my body and it was incredible how much it helped but sadly it only last about a day before I was back to having problems.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'm really looking for but if anyone has some thoughts I'd be interested to hear.
    Hey there

I am a long term sufferer also.
    Suffering with the dreaded DDD, I have blown two discs, had a lumbar microdiscectomy on L5-S1 and currently suffer with L4-L5 herniated on both sides.

From your post, just a few observations:

Chin-ups hit your Lats: Pretty much useless for lower back.

..Bar around my waist then pull it up to shoulder level: This is an upward row. Again, useless for lower back.. its a shoulder exercise!!
    Supermans : TERRIBLE for your spine. You are asking for a prolapse... same with Rowing machines. Just a god awful witches brew of pronation/supination.
    PT/Chiro: Be very careful here. Some are great, most are nothing short of charlatans.
    Yoga: The specialst I see (Who was also my Orthopedic Surgeon... Lucky me he is one of the best in the UK!) has basically commanded me to do Pilates. Yoga is more about balance. Pilates more about functional movement and stretching.. The diabolical genius told this gem to my wife also, so next monday I will be donning lycra for my first pilates class lol!

Good luck mate. Its a pretty miserable existence.. but there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Keyboard Turner topmiamiplasticsurgery's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Low back pain or lumbago is a common musculoskeletal disorder affecting 40% of people worldwide at some point in their lives. Low back pain (often abbreviated as LBP) may be classified by duration as acute (generally pain lasting less than six weeks), sub-chronic (six to 12 weeks), or chronic (more than 12 weeks). The condition may be further classified by the underlying cause as either mechanical, non-mechanical, or referred pain. For most episodes of low back pain, a specific underlying cause is never identified or even looked for, and the pain is believed to be due to mechanical problems such as muscle strain or joint sprain. The management of low back pain typically includes the use of medications for the duration that they are beneficial, and expert groups recommend the use of acetaminophen as the first thing to try. With conservative measures, the symptoms of low back pain typically show improvement within a few weeks from onset.
    Tests are available to look into the cause of the pain if it does not go away with conservative treatment. Some low back pain is caused by damaged intervertebral discs, and the straight leg raise test is useful to pick this up. Although uncommon, if the pain is accompanied by unexplained weight loss, significant problems with feeling or movement in the legs or groin or unexplained fever, these "red flags" may indicate a serious underlying condition. In most cases, imaging tools such as MRI are not useful and carry their own risks, so generally they are not needed unless red flags or other unusual conditions are present. Despite this, the use of imaging to investigate low back pain is increasing in popularity. In individuals with chronic low back pain, the pain processing system itself may malfunction, causing large amounts of pain in response to non serious stimuli, or causing pain with no stimuli at all.
    Many options are available to try to manage refractory low back pain and its consequences. Chiropractic care and spinal manipulation have conflicting evidence regarding their effectiveness. Low back pain often negatively affects mood, which may be improved by antidepressants and psychological counseling. Opioids may be indicated if over-the-counter medications do not control the pain, but they are not recommended for general use due to side effects. Surgery may be considered to manage intractable pain. Surgery is indicated for those with chronic nerve root related pain due to a disc which is causing significant problems; no clear benefit has been shown for those with other symptoms. Spinal fusion may benefit certain individuals. Although a number of other surgical options are available, there is insufficient evidence to support their use. Additionally, there are many alternative medicine therapies available, including alexander technique, acupuncture, massage and herbal remedies, but there is insufficient evidence to recommend them confidently.

Deleted
    Sitting at the chair in front of the pc is probably the main issue.
    Check the height and level of your keyboard/monitor/desk/chair combination.
    Can you move around the office during the day a little eg if you are on the phone? That is important and I find that if Im on a longer call just to move around and stretch works. I also take my laptop out to work on email in the canteen. Just changing positions helps
    This wont cure your issues but it will help and once you have the problem fixed use these methods along with exercise to make sure it never happens again. I had very similar issues and have been trouble free for 3 years now.

Rory K
    backpainfixed.net

Deleted
    Do deadlifts, start at a very low weight and work on perfecting your form, then add weight.

As someone who had a serious back injury almost exactly a year ago (had a bulging disc on the bottom vertebrae of my spine, L5-S1 I think it is?) that sidelined me from work for almost 2 months, I would recommend speaking to a orthopedic surgeon or a physical therapist (not a chiropractor) If you go to a physical therapist and are able to chose where you go I'd definitely research and find a good one as not all PTs are created equal (though most are still better for you than a chiropractor visit would be)

The one thing that my doctor AND my physical therapist told me was to not do any dead lifts or power lifting as the issue lies with your core muscles and power lifting will most likely make things worse.. Strengthening your lower abs helps to offset some of the pressure your lower back endures.

There are a lot of exercises you can do, but the key to fixing the pain is you start on very low weight and increase the weight slowly. If you go up in weight to fast then you're just risking hurting your back permanently.