Quote Originally Posted by D4NNYB0Y View Post
    Then why has no one done so? There was no hesitation before.
    What do you mean either it has been done before and this is a hoax or it hasn't been done before so there has always been hesitation?

- - - Updated - - -

So you're telling me that at no time during the examination process the OHIM verifies the credentials of the applicant or contacts the applicant's representative?
    You did read what you quoted right?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    A) OHIM doesn't check for fraud. That falls on the Representative when notified by OHIM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean either it has been done before and this is a hoax or it hasn't been done before so there has always been hesitation?
    I think what hes trying to say is that if it were so easy there would surely be countless troll trademarks being submitted there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MxLionheart View Post
    I think what hes trying to say is that if it were so easy there would surely be countless troll trademarks being submitted there.
    This is another point people are conveniently avoiding. We get so many comments about how easy it is to fake a trademark under Blizzards name, yet there's only one. I wonder why that is?

And one other thing. Boub reported it on the 13th, when the 14th is the first time it was actually seen on any website. Where did he get the info?
    Last edited by mmoc994488aac4; 2013-08-18 at 07:44 AM.

Then why has no one done so? There was no hesitation before.
    One possibility is that the (alleged) hoaxer was so invested in the original (alleged) hoax or it's storyline that he didn't care about or consider repercussions that would keep 99.999% of the population from doing this.

Another possibility is that the "hoaxer" actually acted in concert with Blizzard (with their knowledge) in an attempt to provide some sort of proof-of-concept (similar to how some groups provide proof-of-concept exploits to computer software makers), and thus didn't fear legal reprisal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taurvanhiel View Post
    One possibility is that the (alleged) hoaxer was so invested in the original (alleged) hoax or it's storyline that he didn't care about or consider repercussions that would keep 99.999% of the population from doing this.

Another possibility is that the "hoaxer" actually acted in concert with Blizzard (with their knowledge) in an attempt to provide some sort of proof-of-concept (similar to how some groups provide proof-of-concept exploits to computer software makers), and thus didn't fear legal reprisal.
    Grasping at straws at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasere View Post
    I think those straws are just out of reach.

I'll admit the proof-of-concept scenario is unlikely, unless it was done by a member of the wow media community in concert with Blizzard.

But I think the other scenario is entirely plausible – people from all walks of life perform actions that others wouldn't consider simply because of their own personal investment in the stories they tell themselves or the stories they believe they are part of.

Quote Originally Posted by taurvanhiel View Post
    I'll admit the proof-of-concept scenario is unlikely, unless it was done by a member of the wow media community in concert with Blizzard.

But I think the other scenario is entirely plausible – people from all walks of life perform actions that others wouldn't consider simply because of their own personal investment in the stories they tell themselves or the stories they believe they are part of.
    Then why are we not seeing dozens of fake trademarks flowing in since apparently its SOOOO easy to fake these.

Deleted
    And one other thing. Boub reported it on the 13th, when the 14th is the first time it was actually seen on any website. Where did he get the info?
    IIRC, it appeared on a thread here before the main page.. as usual :P

Quote Originally Posted by Azreal313 View Post
    Then why are we not seeing dozens of fake trademarks flowing in since apparently its SOOOO easy to fake these.
    Possibly because no one else has come up with that idea and not talked themselves out of it.

Keep in mind, I won't say this is a hoax, nor will I say it's a non-hoax. I'm like Dogo in Case 55 of the Blue Cliff Record as far as this matter is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Azreal313 View Post
    Do you want to be the one person that gets caught impersonating an employee of the law firm that submits them for Blizzard or Blizzard itself? There are a lot of things which are easy to do but people choose not to due to fear of repercussion.

You did read what you quoted right?
    You're missing the point. If the OHIM suspected this application was fraudulently filled out, they would have already contacted Blizzard's representative to confirm.

What you're saying would be plausible if the application hadn't already completed three stages of the examination process, including Searches which according to their flowchart is one of the last steps before publication.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you want to be the one person that gets caught impersonating an employee of the law firm that submits them for Blizzard or Blizzard itself? There are a lot of things which are easy to do but people choose not to due to fear of repercussion.
    Just to be clear, you're arguing that the hoaxster is the bravest man/woman in all the interwebs then?

You're missing the point. If the OHIM suspected this application was fraudulently filled out, they would have already contacted Blizzard's representative to confirm.

What you're saying would be plausible if the application hadn't already completed three stages of the examination process, including Searches which according to their flowchart is one of the last steps before publication.
    Why would they have any reason to suspect it was fraudulently filled out? You also seem to be confusing the Publication of the Application, which really means nothing other than it appearing in databases or notices being sent to similar CTMs that they may need to contest it, and the Publication of Registration, which would be it actually becoming a CTM. There is really no need to contact the representative before Registration, as that is when it does become a CTM and the fee is actually paid, unless there is an issue caused by opposition or a similar CTM already existing. All the examination process checks for is that it can be a trademark. I've never filled out a trademark online but have gone through the process with legal counsel and you seem to believe that it is something that it's not.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear, you're arguing that the hoaxster is the bravest man/woman in all the interwebs then?
    Or someone who truly just does not care.

Well, depending on which of their two flowcharts (the one linked in your OP or the one linked in the TDB application directly) they follow, Searches are either independent of the "Application Under Examination" process or a portion of it. The flowcharts (if either can even be considered accurate) are unclear as to whether the Examinations and Searches occur sequentially or concurrently. Either is possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by angryplateguy View Post
    "Previous expansion was old god minions, and this one seems like old god minions! The first one did poorly, the second one will do better, promise."

I mean, really, it's going to be cataclysm all over again. More seas, more disjointed landmasses, THIS TIME ISLANDS!! And still, no demons. It's a bit boring. We've been on azeroth too long, imo.
    Everyone hated the old god minions in Ulduar, yeah. I heard everyone hated classic too because of C'Thun.

Deleted
    I notice how people like to argue everything and ignore the facts that have been put infront of their faces many, many times.

They hid Hearthstone and Reaper of Souls until they were ready to be announced. Do you REALLY think that they WOULDN'T do the same for their BIGGEST game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is your proof that anyone can submit a CTM application under a different companies name:

Now you are more than welcome to go through the application process and verify this for yourself.
    strange, though, as I don't see that trademark appear on the list of trademarks submitted by Blizzard Entertainment upon viewing the list.

A) OHIM doesn't check for fraud. That falls on the Representative when notified by OHIM.
    This point doesn't "mean" anything... In essence, they DO check for fraud by checking if the owner and/or representative are indeed... well, the owner and representative, in addition to checking the Signature on the application, either of which criteria stand in the way of it being approved, and, as their little infographic seemed to indicate, would result in the application being refused if either of those things turned up false. The only "bankable" point for people claiming it's a hoax is to say "they've just put off checking anything remotely pertaining to the application for the past three (going on four) days."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would they have any reason to suspect it was fraudulently filled out? You also seem to be confusing the Publication of the Application, which really means nothing other than it appearing in databases or notices being sent to similar CTMs that they may need to contest it, and the Publication of Registration, which would be it actually becoming a CTM. There is really no need to contact the representative before Registration, as that is when it does become a CTM and the fee is actually paid, unless there is an issue caused by opposition or a similar CTM already existing. All the examination process checks for is that it can be a trademark. I've never filled out a trademark online but have gone through the process with legal counsel and you seem to believe that it is something that it's not.

- - - Updated - - -

Or someone who truly just does not care.
    Cares enough to make it this elaborate. They're either certifiable and spent what time they're not plotting this boiling bunnies, or this is real. I like to think the latter is the more realistic, but of course can't rule out the former. There are some crazy folks out there in internetland.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Cares enough to make it this elaborate. They're either certifiable and spent what time they're not plotting this boiling bunnies, or this is real. I like to think the latter is the more realistic, but of course can't rule out the former. There are some crazy folks out there in internetland.
    The thing is is I honestly believe this is legit also but believing that it is beyond a shadow of a doubt is just being ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmochampionuserone View Post
    I notice how people like to argue everything and ignore the facts that have been put infront of their faces many, many times.

They hid Hearthstone and Reaper of Souls until they were ready to be announced. Do you REALLY think that they WOULDN'T do the same for their BIGGEST game?
    Both Reaper of Souls and this trademark appeared within a day of one another on the European trademark listings. And I don't recall Blizzard ever officially announcing a WoW expansion outside of Blizzcon... however, we have found their trademarks in months prior.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.