Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mber341 View Post
    Besides, if I wanted to actually purchase the game after the trial, I don't want my account locked to some email I'll never actually use and only created to play the trial. Chances are if it's not an email account I use regularly, I'll once again forget the password or username which may result in me not being able to log into the game itself.
    If you're actually buying the game, you could buy through your GW1 email and link the accounts, or change the trial email used to that email at that time. At most you'd lose a weekends worth of gameplay.

So yeah, it's a hassle, and it's bad planning, but what most of us are saying in various degrees of politeness, is don't let that stop you from trying the game if you're interested. In the grand scheme of PC gaming, this is a minor thing that is easily worked around rather than a game-breaking bug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    So yeah, it's a hassle, and it's bad planning, but what most of us are saying in various degrees of politeness,
    Lol I love that. I was originally just having a laugh but now its outright ridiculous the QQ.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    It wont, you just use your GW1/beta account, you can link that one just fine, its only the trial.
    This is what I was unaware of, and my main issue with the error. The only other MMO I play is WoW, and it's the opposite. If I sign up to WoW starter with one email, my account is locked to that email if I purchase the full game. I wanted to avoid that with GW2, when I already have a GW account. So you can see where I might have been upset about it.

The reason I call it a 'punishment' because I was under the assumption of the previous paragraph. If each sequel of a game required a new email attached, that could be a problem. Imagine of every Halo game on Xbox Live required you to create a new profile to play, I'd call that punishing your playerbase no matter how significant the inconvenience.

Besides, I'm not the other two guys in this thread. I never called any of you out, so don't lump me in with whoever your attitude's aimed at.
    Last edited by mber341; 2013-08-25 at 06:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mber341 View Post
    snip
    Yes, okay that I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    You know, if you are going to have so much histrionics over them not being able to link a live account with a trial account, you probably won't like this game. In fact, I'm sure of it. You will hate it.
    I have 2 emails, I do not want anymore than that. Truthfully, I don't even want the second one(and for all intents and purposes it doesn't get used anyway, I don't even remember the password for it), I would prefer everything I do be linked to 1 email. And if that preference means I'll hate GW2, I suppose I'll take your word for it.

Normally I'm sympathetic to this sort of thing, but I have to agree creating a mock e-mail for a trial is not that devastating. O_o I have about 4 gmail accounts I use for things like this, but only one main e-mail account. Just because it exists doesn't mean you ever have to bother with it again. :P

Plus, I don't see how you can become so invested after 2 days of playing that you're unwilling to essentially 'reroll' by making an account with your main e-mail after purchasing the game. Screenshot your sliders and just dabble in everything or make a class you want but with a race you don't want (or vice versa), etc.

that was pretty fun. it's at least worth the buy, just to have around when i'm bored of all my other games. i don't picture myself ever doing anything at max level or anything like that. just doing events and such in lowbie zones.

Biggest problem IMO for a potential newcomer is the practically full price of the game, even almost a year after release.

Quote Originally Posted by Pourekos View Post
    Biggest problem IMO for a potential newcomer is the practically full price of the game, even almost a year after release.
    It's $36.99 on GMG right now, that's a fairly substantial discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkman View Post
    I am in the UK where the cheapest I can find is about £30, which about $46.60 and as I have said too much IMO for a year-old game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am in the UK where the cheapest I can find is about £30, which about $46.60 and as I have said too much IMO for a year-old game.
    Its an MMO though, I don't personally feel MMO's can be judged by age until the next expansion releases (withing reason)

If it makes you feel better, the game has MORE now than it did at launch, so they should have raised the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkman View Post
    I just bought this today - and just for anyone wondering it counted as heroic edition so I got the bag, skin/armor, and exp boosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    If it makes you feel better, the game has MORE now than it did at launch, so they should have raised the price.
    With that logic WoW should cost the same as a house since it's been adding content for 8 years now :-p

Regarding the price to buy, in my opinion (so I am not saying "this is a fact" :-) MMOs should drop their prices to buy the game earlier than other games because they have and depend on other sources of income post-launch (subs/shops). I understand that the first sales help with recouping some of the development costs, if not more, but a year on it's the subs/store that keep bringing the money in. Having such a high entry barrier is detrimental for a potential new-comer, especially with so many cheaper and good alternatives. That's my 2 cents on the subject anyway.

Well, they recently added incentives to buy, but beyond that I don't think you can expect a B2P game to lower its box price very much since there's no subscription and no guarantee you'll buy anything from the gem store.

10+ Year Old Account
    With that logic WoW should cost the same as a house since it's been adding content for 8 years now :-p

Regarding the price to buy, in my opinion (so I am not saying "this is a fact" :-) MMOs should drop their prices to buy the game earlier than other games because they have and depend on other sources of income post-launch (subs/shops). I understand that the first sales help with recouping some of the development costs, if not more, but a year on it's the subs/store that keep bringing the money in. Having such a high entry barrier is detrimental for a potential new-comer, especially with so many cheaper and good alternatives. That's my 2 cents on the subject anyway.
    I have spent about 8 pounds in store and only to realm change to join a friend otherwise up haven't spent much, if people aren't prepared to fork out 30 quid for an mmo I can't see them shelling out much on the gem store. of all games b2p mmos should not lower the price much, they might as well go f2p and hike up gem price.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-08-27 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Well, they recently added incentives to buy, but beyond that I don't think you can expect a B2P game to lower its box price very much since there's no subscription and no guarantee you'll buy anything from the gem store.
    Actually you can. Historically speaking, it has happened a lot.

Both for non-MMO B2P games and MMO B2P games. As an example, TSW had a sale that put the game at $15 USD and the standard price dropped from $60USD to $30USD standard. The original Guild Wars games also had several price drops over their lifetime- to like $20 standard and like $5 on sales. I believe the "battlechest" for GW1 is like $25 or $30 via Amazon and the platinum edition is somewhere around the same price range.

Even B2P games can have big price drops- the above are almost 50% reductions in some cases. And it happens a lot.

I had a Hell of a time finding anything for GW1 on sale. I finally ended up having to use some coupon just to get $5 off the retail price of the Platinum Edition. Maybe these sales exist, but at the time I was shopping (which was over the course of about 2 months keeping an eye out/waiting for a sale) I certainly never saw one.

Tbh, a game as old as GW1, I don't really care how good it is/was, I expected to be a LOT cheaper than it is, like WoW battlechest cheap. I got sticker shock shopping for it, it's also the main reason I didn't buy any of the expansions.

I just told you it is. It's on Amazon right now. Even on Steam.

Standard price is $30 for the GW "battlechest". Cheaper on sale. Compared to original costs of the games, that is a big discount. Also no sub fee required like the WoW battlechest which is only $10 less. Natch, you need a $15 sub with that WoW battlechest 30 days later.

B2P games drop in price just like all other games. It's a reasonable consumer expectation.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-08-27 at 01:03 PM.

Well, first of all, I was under the impression Pourekos meant a drop in the standard price, not sales, many of which (such as in the case of Amazon) are independent to the business handling them.

Second of all, I'm assuming relatively new games, or at least newer. GW1 is over a decade old and rightly so should have had a series of price drops due to age if nothing else. (It's still not cheap enough, IMO. Plus, I already bought the game, I'm not going to re-buy it because 6 months after I purchased it someplace is finally having a sale. :P)

Third of all, I'm also assuming relative success. GW2 seems to be doing okay. However, I don't know anything about TSW. Did they need a strong incentive to get more people to buy/play?

Regardless, this is not interesting enough to me to debate. :P If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. My experiences are anecdotal anyway. Typically unless it's a poorly received game it's a long time before I see drops in price.