Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fury pulling mass amount of threat?

I have heard of this going around but never quite understood it...

How does a fury warrior pull so much threat and does it still happen?

I know for a fact that unleashing hell immediately with all your cooldowns can at times pull aggro, done it myself a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
    I know for a fact that unleashing hell immediately with all your cooldowns can at times pull aggro, done it myself a couple times.
    What i dont understand is, what makes fury so special? Many classes can blow CDs at the start and go nuts lol.

It's an old saying. Pre MoP, Warriors where one of the few classes that didn't have an inherent threat reduction. This combined with our insane burst in the opener made us prone to rip aggro from the tank

In MoP I haven't seen this particular issue, and that's due to two reasons. Our opener burst is not as high as it used to be. Our opener now a days starts 10seconds into the fight, so the tank will already have enough threat to handle anything we throw at them.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorsarri View Post
    It's an old saying. Pre MoP, Warriors where one of the few classes that didn't have an inherent threat reduction. This combined with our insane burst in the opener made us prone to rip aggro from the tank
    I*m quite sure berserker stance had a build-in aggro reduce of 20% or something, even in wolkt and bc, which however was not stated in the tooltip. Problematic was that heroic strike had an aggro increasing component and a warrior had no ways to lower his aggro (besides dying ).

It's probably just people being silly and not noticing they are in defensive stance

Quote Originally Posted by Taik View Post
    It's probably just people being silly and not noticing they are in defensive stance
    No. It's because Warrior is the only MELEE class with that kind of instant burst with no threat reduction, dump or redirect. Others have way more "ramp up time" to build their burst going from 0. Ranged again have this magical 130% threat barrier while melees get aggro already when jumping over the 100% threat limit. Usually just rogue or hunter alone helps keeping my aggro these days on the raid.

However I still get these aggro things from time to time, but very rarely these days - usually because the tank was lazy on pull. LFG is an another thing though. I'm tanking 24/7 on it (and probably die) IF I get a casual tank on the run and pull my full numbers. 5mans is also the same, but that's usually because I have way more higher Ilvl than the tanks (and 150k more hp).

Also, because we don't have any threat resets, I'm always 2nd on threat. If the tank dies, I'm next. I mean every single damn time. It has upsides and downsides, like if tank dies to some small error and I pop DBTS, the raid can CR tank fast and go as nothing happened (well, not counting the threat levels, but taunt can fix it if it's about single target only).
    Last edited by Kankipappa; 2013-08-15 at 01:18 PM.

Deleted
    I think Dragon Roar has a huge threat value on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwergerl View Post
    I*m quite sure berserker stance had a build-in aggro reduce of 20% or something, even in wolkt and bc, which however was not stated in the tooltip. Problematic was that heroic strike had an aggro increasing component and a warrior had no ways to lower his aggro (besides dying ).
    Yerp. Imp. Berserker Stance in the Fury tree had a 10% threat reduction built into it. Ah the days of HS macros and two-button mashing, how I sort of miss thee.

Anywho, Fury these days is much, much more of a whack-a-mole playstyle, and you have to get pretty (un)lucky to have enough procs/rage to pull that much aggro. I think this might have been the design decision behind Bloodbath, since a DoT doesn't generate nearly as much threat as a string of giant crits.

Since MoP its only happened if my tank got a very bad RNG string of misses/dodges/parries, LFR tho, I use DBtS with my CDs because I WILL be tanking after a CS with CDs.

I'm pretty sure there's some hidden threat mods on some warrior abilities or else less threat reduction in battle/zerk stance than other melee get innately. Generally when a tank dies, I'm next on threat, even if there's all sorts of other melee ahead of me in DPS.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwergerl View Post
    That hidden threat reduction in Berserker and Battle stance only brought DPS warriors inline with other melee dps which had the same hidden threat reduction baked into the class.

In MoP, I've only seen fury warriors pull aggro at the start of a fight due to burst damage in the opener. Heroic Leap, Dragon roar, pop all CDs/trinkets, and Colossus Smash debuff lets Fury Warriors do a lot of damage fast while the tank hasn't had a chance to do much with high vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirivaria View Post
    That hidden threat reduction in Berserker and Battle stance only brought DPS warriors inline with other melee dps which had the same hidden threat reduction baked into the class.

In MoP, I've only seen fury warriors pull aggro at the start of a fight due to burst damage in the opener. Heroic Leap, Dragon roar, pop all CDs/trinkets, and Colossus Smash debuff lets Fury Warriors do a lot of damage fast while the tank hasn't had a chance to do much with high vengeance.
    This.
    I have burst over 700k easily in the first 10 seconds of a fight, that is a lot of threat. Only Shaman opening burst rivals (surpasses) ours, and it isn't nearly as concentrated. If your tank uses some kind of offensive CD's (Reck), it usually isn't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorsarri View Post

In MoP I haven't seen this particular issue, and that's due to two reasons. Our opener burst is not as high as it used to be. Our opener now a days starts 10seconds into the fight, so the tank will already have enough threat to handle anything we throw at them.
    I stand behind this too, it's just a saying. During the first few months of Cataclysm mastery was a significantly superior stat compared to anything else, and ontop of that it was very easy to get your hands on it. End result was that people managed to pump their Death wish to give 3-4 times the benefit critting for almost 100k with RB completely running over the tanks in threat.

I used to need every single paladins salvation back to back lol.

With the opening BT-DR-CS-RB-BT-RB-RB, you can have threat issue, 1.5s after the beginning of the fight you're already hitting the boss with a full-cd DR which hits very hard.
    Nowadays, the opening tends to be a bit different, especially with Feather, so this kind of thing does not happen anymore.

I still don't know how I am supposed to survive in Challenge Mode when I open with BT-(full cd)+Bladestorm, though.
    (Well, actually I know, I ask my tank to use his Mocking Banner, but I couldn't do it without a prot w

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    What i dont understand is, what makes fury so special? Many classes can blow CDs at the start and go nuts lol.
    Because ranged get a 120% threat threshold before pulling aggro and despite having pretty much the worst damage output in the game, Warriors still burst harder and faster than anyone else in a very brief window.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    With the opening BT-DR-CS-RB-BT-RB-RB, you can have threat issue, 1.5s after the beginning of the fight you're already hitting the boss with a full-cd DR which hits very hard.
    Nowadays, the opening tends to be a bit different, especially with Feather, so this kind of thing does not happen anymore.

I still don't know how I am supposed to survive in Challenge Mode when I open with BT-(full cd)+Bladestorm, though.
    (Well, actually I know, I ask my tank to use his Mocking Banner, but I couldn't do it without a prot w

Thank fuck I had a good holy pally in my group when getting my Challenge set

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    This.
    I have burst over 700k easily in the first 10 seconds of a fight, that is a lot of threat. Only Shaman opening burst rivals (surpasses) ours, and it isn't nearly as concentrated. If your tank uses some kind of offensive CD's (Reck), it usually isn't a problem.
    Or if he just, uses shield slam, crits 600k on account of first vengeance procc, times 700% threat increase because tanking was too hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    No ramp up time, most other melee take about 5 seconds of ramp up before they can start to burst. Tanks dmg is included in this simply because they need a little time to build vengeance then a little more to actually get some hits in with the vengeance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

If any DPS is pulling off a tank at any time single target then there is a problem with the tank not the DPS.