Some thoughts on leading a PUG

I use to run a Friday night 25man Gruul's Lair Pug. I thought it would be a nightmare but in the end, I think it was one of the best raid leading learning experiences I had had up to that point. If you can lead a PUG group then leading a group with a vested interest in succeeding (ie your guild mates) will be much easier. Here are some other thoughts on PUGs that I put together. Agree? Disagree? Share your worst PUG leader story in the posts!

PUG leading, as frustrating as it can be, can really improve your raid leading. You need to be a-game to run a successful PUG. Give it a show with the below caveats to see where you stand.
    If you can lead a Pick Up Group of raiders that have no real incentive to be skilled, respectful, or rational then you can lead a guild group with ease.

Want to test your ability to lead? Try raid leading a pug to a successful completion of a current raid tier. Anyone can yell “go go, pull” to a bunch of great players that know their jobs. This is NOT raid leading but raid facilitating. There’s a big difference in skills needed between the two.

A “PUG” by definition is a Pick Up Group of people that do not know each other who want to tackle a team puzzle whether it be a raid, dungeon, or a battleground. Pugging can be anything from a full 25m pug on the latest raid tier or just pugging a few spots in your almost filled guild raid. Either way your style will need to change a bit from your typical full guild run. People are less patient with just about every aspect of the raid.

Leading a full PUG raid
    Modifying your leadership style (up your patience, lower your expectations)
    You have to know your fights in and out to lead a pug. (you have to know each persons capabilities and role)
    Instructions need to be clear and per player (“ok slayernoob, you are interrupting frostfirebolt and then TIMEWARP when P2 hits” “johnnyrageface you’re dpsing adds only until P3″)
    In pugs it pays off to spend a good amount of time giving clear and specific instructions rather than the wipe/learn approach a lot of guild teams will use. PUGs break up quickly if the future does not look bright.
    Know that some people will not listen to the instructions and you’ll have to give them the instructions again in real-time.
    Be clear about loot before, during, and after the boss dies. (and some idiot will still cry fowl /sigh)

PUGging a few spots
    Many inexperienced raid leaders will call a raid night because one of their “key” players can’t make it. This especially happens when the team is new and trying to find its “core.” I call bullshit on this mentality. There are plenty of good players out there. PUG one and make it happen. Your team will thank you and you will accomplish the following things for your guild/raid teams.

Shows your team that we raid these nights with or without you.
    Shows your team that you are willing to wipe and learn and lead for even one more boss kill. Practice is Practice. Get it in any way you can and bosses will fall.
    You might find a diamond in the rough in trade chat or even your own guild.
    An active raiding guild is a happy raiding guild.

We've all had nightmare pugs. Post your worst pug leader experience below.
    Frontallobe
    Being generally horrible but helpful since Molten Core;
    When leading was more about managing bathroom breaks than boss mechanics.
    http://www.ihazlead.com - Raid leading guides, tutorials, and videos.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've led regular PuG raids beginning in Tier 4 all the way up until Cataclysm., but I can't really think of two many horror stories aside from the occasional bad night.

In fact, this is the first expansion I haven't led one, mostly since I'm leading my primary raid now too.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |