Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Pointing out that popularity =/= quality as mvallas so claims apparently isn't part of the discussion.

okay
    Post 253. Your post consisted of 'all the games you like are shit' and

pls

plsssss.

Come on Digglett. You don't get to make snide remarks about other people not having 'good' posts when you do it yourself. Why do you not like the games he listed? Why do you think they are shit? How is any Nintendo offering equal or better than say... Gran Turismo or Forza? Or are we back to 'graphics don't matter' because it supports your point at the time? Then why do a Wind Walker with updated graphics, if they don't matter? Just admit to yourself, just once, just for a tiny little bit, that the big N isn't the end all and be all of console gaming. It won't hurt, I promise.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Just admit to yourself, just once, just for a tiny little bit, that the big N isn't the end all and be all of console gaming. It won't hurt, I promise.
    I never once said that they were, sir. Don't put words in my mouth now.

I never once said that they were, sir. Don't put words in my mouth now.
    Nope, that is just what your every post amounts to. Everything N does is perfect, everything everyone else does is shit.

Provide reasons you think that. Show examples. Or you can just keep up with the snide comments and backing down when you get called on it. Whichever floats your boat.
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Seems you missed my point entirely, thanks anyways. Skeli spelled it out for you in fine print though son. ((:
    No - I got your "point" - I just like being a bit snarky sometimes. ^_^

- - - Updated - - -

Pointing out that popularity =/= quality as mvallas so claims apparently isn't part of the discussion.

okay
    By your claims and definition the KKK must be a brilliant masterpiece of philosophy since so few find it popular. :P

My point is that many prefer ES to Zelda today because it offers more game variety of play and continued replay and (most importantly) forever amounts of free roaming discovery. Zelda no longer offers that as it's VERY on-rails these days (one version was literally was on rails... Spirit Tracks). I wish it would like in the 8-bit/16-bit versions... but it doesn't anymore.

The problem is your stringent concept of "quality" is only skin-deep. You see the games bugs (and I acknowledge they suck. They prevent me from giving it a perfect score by miles) - but you refuse to acknowledge (or even see) the massive leaps and bounds forward that Elder Scroll games have over Zelda - namely the open world, freedom to choose your game STYLE OF PLAY however you want, the TRUE exploration model that reward you, the fully voiced cast, the dozzens of well-written plots and sub-plots to find, the massive MASSIVE amount of beautiful lore and universe detail (as in the culture and land... NOT graphics!!), the thousands of hours of play...

...and I'm not even including the graphics or music - as those are rather obvious and are the LEAST thing that makes them excell. :P

Now, BEFORE you go saying "I'm blind to what Zelda has to offer over ES" - I'm not. One thing I LOVE about Nintendo's game design is they're always well tuned and VERY tight controls. Every action just "feels" fluid. Skyrim doesn't have this and I hope the next ES game does. Because, quite frankly, that's the only thing its missing. Well, that - and serious bug-testing (again, a plus to Nintendo Game designers).

I think you need to read some of my prior posts. I love Nintendo games... but I'm sick of them waisting their time on Home console hardware and gimmick toy controllers. I want them to take their creative game designs and put the power of the next-gen systems and DEFINE what can be done with those engines. I'm not just talking graphically... I mean gameplay-wise. You don't need to reinvent the damn controller... simply refine the gameplay/game design instead. Nintendo's good at that - and not the home consoles/gimmick controllers.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-09-10 at 04:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    If everything was left up to you we probably wouldn't have progressed very far at all in gaming. Rather than have a shred of anything new the industry should stagnate and milk what it can out of what it has? New ideas and all the gimmicks killing the industry are the reason it's come so far. And the vast majority of indie games are pretty garbage. They won't be saving it any time soon.

Popularity has never meant anything close to quality. You should look around once in a while and you'll notice how much people flock to shit regardless of form. In terms of gaming, when you give the option to make it sparkly with mods you've basically guaranteed that you can make money with minimal effort.
    Note the megathread is kept alive by modders and first time players....Also I dropped skyrim for YEARS to get in om Zelda and never went back till this year...

Quality and fun are subjective.

There's hate for nintendo because it's the cool thing to do at the moment. They aren't conforming to what Sony and Microsoft do with their systems (SHINIER GRAPHICS AND I CAN WATCH MOVIE DISCS, WOWIE-ZOWIE!) and the self-proclaimed "hardcore" gamers don't like anything new and want to go back to using the dual shock controller and play the same shit they did over 10 years ago. You know, I bet similar types of people cried foul on the switch from 2d to 3d in gaming on home consoles, claiming that it was a stupid gimmick that would never work and how everything based around it is inherently terrible despite not trying it before talking shit on it.

I will admit, Nintendo did fuck up with the 3DS and Wii U releases, but, as we've already seen with the 3DS, the games are coming (finally), and they look pretty good. At least Nintendo's "gimmicks" actually try something new, and if you don't like it, hey, would you look at that, there's a classic-style controller. Oh my goodness, something similar to what you're used to for a reasonable price for a wireless controller. Also, Nintendo included a tablet in their controller, look what sony and microsoft did almost immediately afterwards: touch pad and tablet interfacing. "Oh, but those aren't required for the video games on those consoles!" They will be for some games, and xbox already has kinect which will probably have ever more terrible games for it and they'll probably try to force some bigger games to use it.

It's still funny how people claim Nintendo is failing when they have more than enough money saved up to function at a loss for over 10 years, and people have been making the same fucking claims since the Sega Saturn.

Also, all you people saying you want Nintendo to just stop making consoles and go 3rd party is about as logical as me claiming I want Sony to do the same thing so Naughty Dog games and Killzone will start going to PC. "I think the PS4's controller looks dumb and the touch pad is a horrible design. They should just stop making consoles that only do minor upgrades to the graphics and add a shitty gimmick to their controllers." That's what you sound like. You want to play Nintendo games? Buy their consoles.

No offense, but this is utter fucking nonsense.
    Yes, the rest of your post after this sentence is utter fucking nonsense.

Nintendo has set the vast majority of console gaming's trends, and others follow, always. To this day, Microsoft/Sony controllers feature a + thumbpad, which originated on the Famicom's controller. Xbox's A B X Y L R buttons... SNES controller much? Portable gaming? Thanks, Gameboy. Analog sticks? Hi Nintendo64. Touchscreen gaming? Mainstream because of DS. Motion controls? Dear Wii, Playstation Move and Kinect send their thanks. Hell, the SNES even had online play with Xband (though, the Genesis did as well in all fairness).
    Apparently in your world Nintendo came out before Atari. Apparently in your world, Nintendo was putting Dpads on their controllers before the computer industry was. Apparently in your world the gaming industry didn't rip each other off all day long and Nintendo was the ONLY company out there with the intelligence to innovate in the gaming industry.

Sure, they had the first handheld (if you don't count the Microvision).

But again, apparently in your world, Nintendo is number one first, always.

Wii, by far the weakest system of the last generation, outsold both PS4 and XB360. Say what you will about 'but thats because of casual gamers' - it doesn't matter. Nintendo made more money than their competitors, period, and I believe that's called 'winning'.
    No, it's called 'selling out.' You know, when you create something just to make money, with total disregard for quality.

Even their franchises are ripped off. Playstation All Stars... Super Smash Bros called, it wants its idea back. And how many ripoffs of Mario Kart have there been?
    Because Mario is such an original character, right? Because racing games where you kill your opponents never happened before Mario Kart, right?

to say Nintendo doesn't understand games is possibly the greatest display of ignorance I've seen on these forums and that is saying something. We wouldn't have gaming as we know it today if it was not for Nintendo, and that isn't an opinion. Its an inarguable fact.
    I said they don't understand the entertainment industry. Sure, they can continue pumping out games which are rehashes of their first party titles until the end of time, and little kids will persuade mommy and daddy to open their wallets for them, there is no arguing that. But the gaming industry would have gotten along as it has without Nintendo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Note the megathread is kept alive by modders and first time players....Also I dropped skyrim for YEARS to get in om Zelda and never went back till this year...

Quality and fun are subjective.
    ...you do Realize that Skyrim came out exactly 1 year and 9 months ago, right?

...unless of course you mean you NEVER played Skyrim until a few months from now. :P

Yup, I'm sure that proves your point that Skyrim is more fun and enjoyable and has more replayability.

Because sales numbers proves that a game is out right better than another when that is an entirely subjective thing, or wait not even just games, if it's a higher selling medium than another in any form then it is clearly good.

Thanks for setting me straight, son.
    I'm pretty sure it's the modders keeping Skyrim alive while Zelda sits on your shelf, setting you straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's the modders keeping Skyrim alive while Zelda sits on your shelf, setting you straight.
    Totally forgot about the modding community. Another amazing example of innovative game designing from indie people that doesn't require a jack-leg controller to play said mod with. ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...you do Realize that Skyrim came out exactly 1 year and 9 months ago, right?

...unless of course you mean you NEVER played Skyrim until a few months from now. :P
    Sorry I get releases mixed up....Still dropped it for awhile....I played it aftet it came out(midnight release) dropped it until 1-2 months ago....

And my point still stands if anything the fact that I couldn't even remember it's release should say somethings..

Not everyone considers games like Skyrim the best things ever...Again I'd say Zelda is a MUCH better game....Pretty much any of them.

Oh and note I fully admit I play my PC and PS3 more then my nintendo consoles.

- - - Updated - - -

Which means it's not the game itself....

I get that it's a Nintendo thread, meaning that there are irrationally strong opinions on all sides, but keep things civil please.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post

Releasing modding tools with the game, and making it extremely easy to mod stuff into/out of the game is kind of a game feature...
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzefik View Post
    There's hate for nintendo because it's the cool thing to do at the moment. They aren't conforming to what Sony and Microsoft do with their systems (SHINIER GRAPHICS AND I CAN WATCH MOVIE DISCS, WOWIE-ZOWIE!) and the self-proclaimed "hardcore" gamers don't like anything new and want to go back to using the dual shock controller and play the same shit they did over 10 years ago. You know, I bet similar types of people cried foul on the switch from 2d to 3d in gaming on home consoles, claiming that it was a stupid gimmick that would never work and how everything based around it is inherently terrible despite not trying it before talking shit on it.
    Yeah, nintendo is not keeping up with technology. And it's not just sony and microsoft players playing the same shit since 10 years ago. Nintendo is just as guilty with their versions of mario, zelda, smash bros, mario kart etc.
    I don't think people meant that nintendo failed as a whole. It's specifically the WiiU that is failing and proof of that is in the sales. But we can only wait and see how well it does when its first party games come out. It might turn out like the 3DS.
    Also, even if they're capable of loosing money for over 10 years, it wouldn't do well for their image.

If they released a version of zelda like the tech demo they showed us, that would be amazing. But it is a tech demo so my expectations are kept low.

It's not the game itself... letting modders and indie developers enjoy the humility of open source development.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the game itself... letting modders and indie developers enjoy the humility of open source development.
    My point is I'd rather judge a game as it comes out of the box as opposed to the modded product even if supported.

Love Nintendo, but I hate they decided to turn to some bumpy road along the way.
    In past console wars I had N64, GCN, DS etc... now, I have an Xbox360 and will prolly go after PS4 now (maybe Xbox "One" later along the way as well).
    I really hate that I only have a choice between MS and Sony now when it comes to big consoles. Wii - not my target and sucky wiimote for "normal" play - Id rather use NES pad tbh. If next gen (such a long wait ;() Nintendo will be out as a proper gaming console - Im gonna buy it instantly.
    I want proper Nintendo games, not something I could play on my phone (control wise)... Id get a Nintendo Phone, sure, but not a Wii U or Wii - sorry but thats totally not my kind of fun as I hate all the kinect, PS move, Wii mote bullshit. I want a proper gaming pad and cool games on a standard machine that uses DVD/BR as discs, has online on it and thats it - no TVs, no bullshit.
    Nintendo... I miss you .

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I hate the fact that Nintendo hasn't just gone software only. I want to play a GOOD zelda again. And not have to buy a crappy system for it.
    Just because a game system doesn't have all the unnecessary bells and whistles that the xbox and playstations have doesn't mean its a crappy system. How often do xboxs get the red ring again

Just admit to yourself, just once, just for a tiny little bit, that the big N isn't the end all and be all of console gaming. It won't hurt, I promise.
    The big N has always been the king of console gaming... We are in a new era where monotone lens flare ridden brown shooters are apparently popular. However that doesn't mean that nintendo wasn't here first, it doesn't mean that they still pumped out the best console games of all time and it certainly doesn't mean that they are inferior to microsoft and sony in any way, shape or form. Even sony knows nintendo has it right. They copied them with their playstation move and then copied them with playstation all stars. MS and sony don't want to churn out fun and light games like nintendo does because they know that in that genre they will get blown away, so they resort to becoming famous for games that include content that they know nintendo won't do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Love Nintendo, but I hate they decided to turn to some bumpy road along the way.
    In past console wars I had N64, GCN, DS etc... now, I have an Xbox360 and will prolly go after PS4 now (maybe Xbox "One" later along the way as well).
    I really hate that I only have a choice between MS and Sony now when it comes to big consoles. Wii - not my target and sucky wiimote for "normal" play - Id rather use NES pad tbh. If next gen (such a long wait ;() Nintendo will be out as a proper gaming console - Im gonna buy it instantly.
    I want proper Nintendo games, not something I could play on my phone (control wise)... Id get a Nintendo Phone, sure, but not a Wii U or Wii - sorry but thats totally not my kind of fun as I hate all the kinect, PS move, Wii mote bullshit. I want a proper gaming pad and cool games on a standard machine that uses DVD/BR as discs, has online on it and thats it - no TVs, no bullshit.
    Nintendo... I miss you .
    Have you even tried out the wii remote? Ya, it's weird when you got two halves of the controller connected by a cord, but it plays really nice. It doesn't constrain your arms to the same positions. It's hard to follow the gamecube controller but the wii remotes and nunchuk work well. Don't hate on it just because you haven't given it a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaystea View Post
    Yeah, nintendo is not keeping up with technology. And it's not just sony and microsoft players playing the same shit since 10 years ago. Nintendo is just as guilty with their versions of mario, zelda, smash bros, mario kart etc.
    I don't think people meant that nintendo failed as a whole. It's specifically the WiiU that is failing and proof of that is in the sales. But we can only wait and see how well it does when its first party games come out. It might turn out like the 3DS.
    Let me put it this way.

Playing a new first part nintendo title is like reading the next chapter in a book. Chapter 1: Metroid, chapter 2: Metroid 2, chapter 3: super Metroid, etc.

Playing a new CoD game is like reading the same chapter just with some words replaced with synonyms of themselves. The same chapter but a different combination of words each time.

The WiiU failing? Sure, sales are low but considering like the only first party game before pikmin 3 was another mario bros, it makes really good sales considering most all of them were off of excitement for what's to come.

I don't understand why people are bashing nintendo for low console sales when the other two companies don't have the guts to even release their own consoles until they have games to back it up with. Nintendo simply allowed us to purchase theirs early and get our hands on the console as well as some third party games and a first party game or two to sate us while we waited for the wave of first party games that has begun with pikmin 3.

Nintendo created the current climate of console gaming. If they hadn't backed out of their deal with Sony, the Playstation as we know it would not exist. That means Microsoft may have never joined the industry with the Xbox. With their mistake, they turned a multi-million dollar industry into a Hollywood-busting billion-dollar industry.

Thank you for your idiocy, Nintendo.

On a side note, I understand the hate. Nintendo is notorious for selling items to their loyal customers and then providing minimal support. After the SNES, all Nintendo systems - including the Wii - have only had a handful of games worth playing and even fewer worth owning. And it has culminated in the Wii U, which may end up being Nintendo's worst-selling console ever. But each has been a disappointment. Personally, I will never purchase another Nintendo console again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagoex View Post
    And it has culminated in the Wii U, which may end up being Nintendo's worst-selling console ever.
    It's already sold more than the Virtual Boy! Though I'm sure there's some more obscure Nintendo console that sold even worse than the Virtual Boy somewhere.