Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashardis View Post
    And people would rather call you bad, or unskilled, than admit that most guilds come with one attitude or another that alot of people can't be bothered with
    There are guilds that raid 3-6 hours a week and finished 13/13... If you are good/skilled enough you will find a bunch of like-minded people and be able to finish current content. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to have people that don't fit your "needs" in a guild, it would be disrespectful to your other raiders to keep someone that goes against the requirements.

I can see both points, but a full gkick is pretty unwarranted. I could see replacing you if you would have trouble meeting the raid times or whatever, but from reading the post it sounds like you asked for 2 weeks off until Siege of Orgrimmar, and got kicked for that? That's a bit harsh for any guild. My guild has a 12-year old that runs with us (so does his father) and we recently had a discussion about something similar since school is starting again, but since his father is an officer we instead changed our raid times to end earlier, which reduces our raid time overall, because we don't have anyone to replace him with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finished 13/13?
    And how many hours a week were they playing BEFORE getting 13/13?
    My point wasn't that guilds....
    Brb, phone playing up

As I was saying, my point was agreeing with the guy I quoted, that guilds come with drama that people cant be bothered with.
    And that there are people out there that dont buy it as an acceptable reason for doing lfr only, and would rather lable them as bad or unskilled
    Last edited by Ashardis; 2013-08-29 at 11:01 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    If the GM was a friend he would have demoted him. I would. I have an responsibility to the guild to select members for raids that actually make effort to show up and can play properly. Why would I treat my friends different then a regular member? (in terms of guildbusiness)

If friends do not understand this they aren't suitable to join your guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    If the GM was a friend he would have demoted him. I would. I have an responsibility to the guild to select members for raids that actually make effort to show up and can play properly. Why would I treat my friends different then a regular member? (in terms of guildbusiness)

If friends do not understand this they aren't suitable to join your guild.
    I agree with you!

Rules are rules and everyone must follow them - if there must be 100% attendance, so be it.
    If GM is friend - he may forgive once in 4 months. But even if he doesn't turn a blind eye, there is no reason to make such topics.

Even if OP had 100% attendance for 4 months. Even if he could compete with others. Even if he was ALWAYS there when needed.
    Even then it IS GM call, not anyones on this topic - so stop asking for pity.

Rules are rules - there must be order to make progress.
    Good gm will make choices that group need, not deserve.
    ---
    I get why op is so shocked.. but only if op had 100% attendance before. if he was always there..

But i get Op`s Gm as well:
    Give one person a free pass, everyone will think they deserve one.
    Let one person always be late and soon whole raid will think that it's fine to miss 10-20min of start.

Rules are there to be fallowed!

Deleted
    Focus on your life and future. WoW takes MUCH of your time and some day you'll regret all this time spent killing pixels. Even if now you may not recognize/appreciate it, some day you'll thank your father for being strict and pushing you.

To answer your question, he was a douche for kicking you especially after you were honest with him and explain your situation. Even if you were an incompetent player, he could have kept you as a social. There was absolutely no need to kick you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    So you're 16. You need 2 weeks to study for tests? What? I'm a tad bit confused as to how that's possible.

Regardless, just find another guild. Really isn't a big deal.
    What's odd about that? Different people need different amounts of study. In my case I didn't study at all through school. I have a better than average memory and could regurgitate entire lectures I hadn't paid attention to by virtue of the fact I take in background noises well. I wrote entire essays on books I will never open due to lack of interest.

To assume this is normal us stupidity. Likewise I could train all of my life to perform as an acrobat and never match someone who puts in far less effort but is naturally gifted.

If you plan your time accordingly there's nothing that stops you from raiding while your exams are on. However, as you're still young your family partly sets the rules and this is a huge part of the reason why most raiding guilds don't accept people under 18. There's little worse as a former Officer/RL and University student when a high school (or it's equivalent) lets you know that he or she "can't attend the raid due to exams" when you yourself schedule your studying and raiding just like anyone would do with a hobby you've signed up for.

So, suck it up and find a guild that's on the same level as you instead. In Sweden we have exams up to 4 times a year (note that the average University student here studies for exams far more than 2 weeks in advance), if I was to disappear for 8 weeks simply due to exams every year my attendance would drop by an additional 15% on top of vacations and occasional missed raids which I wouldn't consider acceptable in a semi-hardcore or hardcore raiding guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Sastank View Post
    I personally don't think students belong in raiding guilds since they have considerably less time to invest into raids/strats/time put into the game in general.
    Most guilds I've seen and been a part of require you be 18+ for this reason. Also because "kids" under 18 are in less control of their lives than more "mature" or older people.
    I.e your dad telling you straight up you can't play WoW.
    Sorry and best of luck finding a more laid back and tolerant guild for students and underaged players.

Except when i was in collage i could spend about 100 hours a week to my hobby and now im working 40 hours a week i dont, so id rather have mature younger people that can spend 100 hours a week over a mature 25 year old that can only play 15 hours a week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pank View Post
    Focus on your life and future. WoW takes MUCH of your time and some day you'll regret all this time spent killing pixels. Even if now you may not recognize/appreciate it, some day you'll thank your father for being strict and pushing you.
    Spend as much time with your family as you can. There will always be stupid video games to distract you, but you do not want your "golden" years to be all video game memories.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that does seem a little mean.
    You made your situation clear and he kicked you anyway even though you would be coming back after those 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    The reason why i hate joining dedicated raiding guilds :P It comes with way too much hassle just to be able to raid :/ I'd prefer just to do LFR for the rest of my time in wow than having to deal with that rubbish :P
    You can't "just raid" when people turn don't turn up. Fact of life is you need organisation to be able to raid, if people want to be "relaxed" (ie. slack) about attendance and performance, they can't raid.

You don't understand why your GM did this? As my Dad once said, the reason he did it is simple: Because he could.

What do you do? Forget about him! 5.4 is nearly here. It's a bit late in the day to be pushing progression or fussing over raiding schedules. People with sense are on vacation, gearing up their alt guilds of killer-gnome demo-locks, playing on the PTR, or... studying for their exams.

This GM is not your boss. Does he pay you? Give you health care? Guilds exist to advance the community's raiding and social gaming needs, not the other way around. Re-roll on a better server when you return, and until then study well!

10+ Year Old Account
    Your GM is an ass, but he had the right to kick you. They can kick for any reason or no reason at all. I think he might have done you a favor in kicking you though.

when i was in high school , i never study'ed outside of school and i always passed my exam's. some times i'd even skip school to play wow or sleep all day, and i still got excellent grades. mind you i am now 21, so that was 4 ish years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoef View Post
    Except when i was in collage i could spend about 100 hours a week to my hobby and now im working 40 hours a week i dont, so id rather have mature younger people that can spend 100 hours a week over a mature 25 year old that can only play 15 hours a week.
    I think you are missing the point a lot of the posters here saying they prefer 18+ raiders are making: certainly for me as a GM the amount of hours you DO put in a week falls completely secondary to the number of times you are going to have to say on Mumble, an hour before raid call 'my dad says I have to go'. I do not want the risk of that happening ONCE. I don't care if you played 100 hours this week, that happening is just a no-no when it comes to respecting the fact that 9/24 other peoples' plans have now been screwed up.

That being said I have raiders who have spoken to em and said 'look I won't be around as I have exams coming' up as we have a couple of members doing their Masters but you don't kick them, you say 'cool good luck, see you in a few weeks' and work around it. I appreciate not every guild may have spare raiders in their roster so maybe we are lucky in that respect.

Based on what the OP has said an outright kick does seem harsh for the described circumstances but the old cynic in me is pretty convinced it probably isn't the first time it's happened / the only thing that's happened.

Edit: oh and to all the people who are saying he did it 'because he can', any GM with any self respect and/or an ounce of maturity should never, ever do that. If you think they should, I hope you never get your hands on a serious guild.
    Last edited by Allatar; 2013-08-29 at 12:34 PM.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Sounds like a guild I personally wouldn't want to be a part of.

They did you a favor, if you're as geared as you say you are, some other guild will gladly take you. Most of those guilds aren't foolish enough to think they're so "leet" or "hardcore" that they feel the need to kick a member in good standing when he has real life issues that will keep him from the game for two weeks.

Deleted
    being in a raiding guild is alot like having a job you play with 9/24 other ppl and with that you cant give a 4 minute notice and then think its safe to just leave for 2 weeks it does not take 4 mins to find a suitable person for the spot on a low pop server that can take weeks/months to find and as i see it he just screwed his friends over.

Anyone that say that he dont screw them over with his bad planing dont know what friends are this test, W/E whaatever you want to call it did not come sudden.

PPL should stop just prio themself Raiding is a team sport and that means you have to put in a effort if you dont like it go LFR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larwood View Post
    You can't "just raid" when people turn don't turn up. Fact of life is you need organisation to be able to raid, if people want to be "relaxed" (ie. slack) about attendance and performance, they can't raid.
    Pugs/ flex/ lfr turn that argument to shreds.

Quote Originally Posted by qamar927 View Post
    You don't understand why your GM did this? As my Dad once said, the reason he did it is simple: Because he could.

This GM is not your boss. Does he pay you? Give you health care? Guilds exist to advance the community's raiding and social gaming needs, not the other way around. Re-roll on a better server when you return, and until then study well!
    When you're in a raiding guild the GM is your boss. His job is to provide you and everyone else in the guild with the opportunity to raid in particular content/difficulty. A job which I can assure you is like any other part-time job and for which he does not get paid. The most critical and most difficult part of providing that raiding opportunity is to get a group of people to show up consistently. If everyone acted like the OP, disappearing for weeks and being "incapable", then no serious raiding would be happening in the guild.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Just remember that the bricks you lay today in early education will be a house someday.

The bricks you lay in World of Warcraft are nonexistant.
    I cant say enough about this comment. I know its hard to see when you are 16, hell it was hard for me to see when I was 24. FF to my mid 30s and I get it. Your school does matter, education does matter, success is evaluated by the individual but no matter what you want to do, that education is important. Games will come and go, do not sacrifice your education for it. I didn't start college until I was 29, I wish I could go back and kick myself in the ass for not going when I graduated high school.