Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    No Final Fantasy? The games may not be direct sequels but the lore is connected. And what about Zelda?
    The lore in most of the FFs aren't connected. That said, each game has a pretty well realized world. FFX is my favorite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Witcher is also older than ASoIaF.

- - - Updated - - -

[/B]

Hardly, the extended ending pretty much did just that.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a lot of lore in Zelda really, same for FF. It's a new story and or world with each game.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really... First of all WoW is ten years old, second of all some of the most praised videogames comes from FPS games such as Deus EX HR or Bioshock, where as other FPS games hardly have a story, like CS or CoD. Difference is that with Deus Ex and B-shock it's story > gameplay and with CoD/CS it's gameplay > story. It's all about definition and different strokes.
    Well the OP asks about established lore universes, and Zelda and FF definitely have established lore universes even if they don't have the same stories...

Also, pokemon

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Well the OP asks about established lore universes, and Zelda and FF definitely have established lore universes even if they don't have the same stories...
    Eh, it's a bit muddy and grey honestly, but let's just leave it at that and agree that they are indeed established universes.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    The HALO and battletech universes .halo for the background and how its rooted in something we can relate too in current history etc.

Battletech because the games never really delved into a microbe of what the novels covered omg succession wars the arrival of the clans kai allard liao the fall of the federated suns etc.
    Faith Manages

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Not really... First of all WoW is ten years old, second of all some of the most praised videogames comes from FPS games such as Deus EX HR or Bioshock, where as other FPS games hardly have a story, like CS or CoD. Difference is that with Deus Ex and B-shock it's story > gameplay and with CoD/CS it's gameplay > story. It's all about definition and different strokes.
    Still, to be beaten by an FPS as an RPG in the story department is just sad - that said, Deus Ex and Bioshock could have been made as RPGs without losing much; heck I have a feeling they were made as FPSs because it's the only way to get funding these days. :/

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Still, to be beaten by an FPS as an RPG in the story department is just sad - that said, Deus Ex and Bioshock could have been made as RPGs without losing much; heck I have a feeling they were made as FPSs because it's the only way to get funding these days. :/
    Deus Ex is a fullblown RPG, and has always been an FPS PoV game. And Bioshock, being "based" upon Systemshock had to FPS styled aswell, and the first two games were almost RPG's as well (leveling up, making game altering decisions etc).

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Pokemon .
    What? Once upon a time Arceus, then suddenly Mew, then Team Rocket? 10 year old boy saves the world? I've abandoned the real Pokemon games for the Smogon Metagame long ago, the Pokemon themselves are well-developed but there isn't a very gripping storyline at all.

Everquest has deep lore, its worth a read if you're interested.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2013-09-01 at 08:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Also, pokemon
    Zelda lore is somewhat connected with Ocarina of Time creating two separate timelines.

I was going to say Final Fantasy but there isn't really a Final Fantasy universe, just a bunch of separate stories.

Final Fantasy IV (2 in the US) was one of my favorite! Also, Phantasy Star 2 and Dragon Warrior 7 were up there as well for me

Guess that shows my age a bit but these games are some of the best RPG game experiences I've had in my long gaming history!

10+ Year Old Account
    Mass Effect and Halo I have enjoyed more than any other. Especially Mass Effect, everything just "clicks" well together and it is brilliant.

Anarchy Online's lore is fantastic. Chrono series lore is decent, but I attribute the story being so good due to the theme rather than the lore itself. The Longest Journey saga has some great lore as well. I really liked Final Fantasy X's lore as well; religious turmoil always makes for interesting lore.

Deleted
    The Ivalice Final fantasy series such as FFT,FFT:A,FFT:A2 and FF12 and the Eroza such as FF13 FF13-2 and FFXIV

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Star Wars, followed closely by Warcraft. Both are amazing sources of stories, characters, abilities. However, the storytelling in Star Wars is better generally than Warcraft, hence the slight preference of it.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    suikoden i thought was pretty good if you really decided to dig into the past (i cant remember much off the top of my head though).

final fantasy VII is pretty extensive and i really enjoyed digging through all the different story lines through the various games and whatnot.

The Old Republic part of Star Wars I find to be very fascinating.

Although the Fate/Stay Night (and others) series is mostly known for anime/novels/whatever else, i think there's a game out there too; and that universe is awesome.

As for games that might have had some nice lore, but that i can't vouch for:
    Guild Wars
    Ogre Battle 64 (great game)

Guild Wars definitely has some nice lore. It's probably my favorite lore out of the pure video game fantasy genre (games like LOTRO wouldn't count there).

I still prefer Mass Effect overall for video game lore though.

Probably the ones I care about the most are the Starcraft and ME universes (the latter is partially ruined by the end of ME3 though).

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Huh, I didn't know there was really all that much of a story behind that. I've always been a big supporter of Mechwarrior, but mostly for their very realistic portrayal of what a 200 ton bipedal tank would move and fight like. None of that skating around and flashy lightsaber dueling that other mechs like Gundams do. No, with a Mechwarrior mech, you get a small earthquake with every step accompanied by that satisfying "vrrrrrrrr *boom* vrrrrrr *boom* vrrrrrrr *boom*" And giant laser rifles that you actually have to pick up and shoot like a normal gun? Who the fuck thought that made sense on a mech? None of that shit in Mechwarrior, though. But you might see one with a freaking howitzer for an arm. And they can't fly, but when one of those bastards jumps, everyone within a 5 mile radius needs a new pair of pants. Plus, this thing:

I actually run one of those in my tabletop army, or I did back when I still played. Not much for offense, but if you just need to make a wall, it basically cannot die.
    I read a summary of the whole storyline once. It is fucking MASSIVE.

Mostly I just remember the set up of the clan wars because of the old Mechwarrior cartoon (which was awesome in its day). Why the hell hasn't someone made a Mechwarrior movie? Hopefully someone other than Michael Bay and his imitators (what kind of world do we live in that Michael Bay has imitators?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    - WH40k if you would count it
    - Star Trek if you would count it
    - Warcraft
    - Starcraft
    - C&C Tiberium Universe
    - Bioshock
    - Homeworld
    - Everquest
    - Zelda
    - Deus Ex
    - Old Republic/KOTOR

With 40k, there is no universe or lore more badass and on such a huge scale. The population of Man is in the quintillions alone and there are a bunch of other races that fill the galaxy with huge empires. Also, mankind are one of the most badass and most powerful in any lore I've seen, we're usually pretty weak relative to other aliens. Not much can stand toe-to-toe with a space marine not to mention titans that can stand up to 150ft tall. There's so much lore and all of it is awesome. It's a sci-fi nerds wet dream.

Not sure if it counts, but the god of war series' lore has always been really interesting to me. Anything with greek mythology has my heart.

Assassin's creed without a doubt