Poll: Would you play a warcraft type ARPG?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    WTB This type of game.

Bore-derlands 2 is.. Yeah..

Given how I feel they've handled D3 (all around), I'd probably shy away from one. I'm not a fan of the majority of their design decisions with the game.

Now if it was the old Blizzard North crew...I'd play it in a heartbeat.

Xenoblade Chronicles is exactly what WoW would be as an ARPG, as far as melee classes are concerned, with some notably fun differences such as attacks with stun components that rely on whether you hit your enemy from the back or side, and also NPCs that tank and heal for you. Even if I'd played it within the past few months there is no description I can give that does the combat system justice; I recommend watching a gameplay video.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Given how I feel they've handled D3 (all around), I'd probably shy away from one. I'm not a fan of the majority of their design decisions with the game.

Now if it was the old Blizzard North crew...I'd play it in a heartbeat.
    Hell yeah, didn't they merge half of the blizzard north staff with blizzard itself, and then the rest of them just did something else (new company, quit overall etc)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZombie View Post
    Xenoblade Chronicles is exactly what WoW would be as an ARPG, as far as melee classes are concerned, with some notably fun differences such as attacks with stun components that rely on whether you hit your enemy from the back or side, and also NPCs that tank and heal for you. Even if I'd played it within the past few months there is no description I can give that does the combat system justice; I recommend watching a gameplay video.
    I ALMOST bought that game awhile ago. I'll look into it again.

EDIT: Now I remember why I didn't, it was for wii, I have a wii but I really don't like it much. After watching a gameplay vid of it though it looks like monster hunter though with smaller mobs =/

They couldn't make D3 particulary long lasting or interesting, and I have already played with the Warcraft lore for far to long. I can't see myself playing something like this if they make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    I'm not familiar with the term 'GGG'
    GGG = Grinding Gear Games. The Developers of Path of Exile.

But everytime I try to play path of exile, I make a character, then I level up and look at the skill tree and just... quit game as I'm doing this.
    I can understand. Path of Exile is not supposed to be overly accessible. The developers aimed the game at a very hardcore, min/max audience. There is little in the way of guidance by design.

That's what I want out of a ARPG personally. Actually take that back- that what I want out of all games. I typically dislike overly accessible games. The few games that have kept me playing them over the years are those with immensely complex rule set or play systems.

I can enjoy a good, superficial romp in a game every now and then. Though I don't play many games for enjoyment. So if I have a gripe with something like a Diablo 3 or say, Skyrim [just to move the genre posts a little] it is in their shallow play systems.

Truthfully, I don't care about franchise too much. Even Diablo. despite enjoying all the games in the franchise. I'll play any ARPG so long as it is suitably complicated and interesting.

However, I doubt Blizzard will ever make an extremely complex game at any point out of the Warcraft franchise. It's somewhat a shame that D2 was about as complex Blizzard ever got outside of an RTS that was interesting due to asymmetry primarily.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-09-03 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noorri View Post
    They couldn't make D3 particulary long lasting or interesting, and I have already played with the Warcraft lore for far to long. I can't see myself playing something like this if they make it.
    I think d3 was as long as d2 acts 1-4 wasn't it? I think a tad longer because I feel like d3 act 2 was longer than d2's counterpart. d3 act 3 felt shorter as well (god I hated d2 act 3 so MUCH, urgh *shudder*)

I hope though that reaper is as long as act 5 in d2 if not longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

I can understand. Path of Exile is not supposed to be overly accessible. The developers aimed the game at a very hardcore, min/max audience. There is little in the way of guidance by design.

That's what I want out of a ARPG personally. Actually take that back- that what I want out of all games. I typically dislike overly accessible games. The few games that have kept me playing them over the years are those with immensely complex rule set or play systems.

I can enjoy a good, superficial romp in a game every now and then. Though I don't play many games for enjoyment. So if I have a gripe with something like a Diablo 3 or say, Skyrim [just to move the genre posts a little] it is in their shallow play systems.

I doubt Blizzard will ever make a extremely complex game at any point out of the Warcraft franchise. It's somewhat a shame that D2 was about as complex Blizzard ever got outside of an RTS that was interesting due to asymmetry primarily.
    You might look into titan quest then, and their newer counterpart soon to come grim dawn. Regardless though, I'll give it a good shot eventually. But something about reaper of souls sparked this arpg feel in me to just finish all the ones I have now (d3, torchlight 2, titan quest).

You might look into titan quest then, and their newer counterpart soon to come grim dawn. Regardless though, I'll give it a good shot eventually. But something about reaper of souls sparked this arpg feel in me to just finish all the ones I have now (d3, torchlight 2, titan quest).
    I've played TQ for years. And I am in the Grim Dawn beta.

They are fun games. They are not particularly complex. GD is actually fairly linear and shallow in it's play systems.

Few games are unknown to me.

I've played TQ for years. And I am in the Grim Dawn beta.

They are fun games. They are not particularly complex. GD is actually fairly linear and shallow in it's play systems.

Few games are unknown to me.
    Hmm, well I guess the man lied during his kickstarter video. I've owned TQ+IT for like 4 years? Since late 2009 and I still have yet to even beat the first act :3

Been peer pressuring friends to get it...

Grim Dawn is like a really advance TQ mod. There a few quirks to GD that were not in TQ. But overall the basic play systems and so forth are essentially, Titan Quest.

Crate didn't lie at all. Most who KS the project [of which I was one] knew it was going to run on top of the TQ engine and play similarly. That is what fans of TQ wanted after all- TQ2, but we never got it. So came Grim Dawn.

Grim Dawn is like a really advance TQ mod. There a few quirks to GD that were not in TQ. But overall the basic play systems and so forth are essentially, Titan Quest.

Crate didn't lie at all. Most who KS the project [of which I was one] knew it was going to run on top of the TQ engine and play similarly. That is what fans of TQ wanted after all- TQ2, but we never got it. So came Grim Dawn.
    But he mentioned it'd have the same type of 'complex' however that maybe, and you says its shallow so I assume that means its not complex. I could be understanding incorrectly though.

It's about as complex as TQ circa Immortal Throne or like D3. Which I guess is more complex than like... um, Diablo 2.

Though no ARPG is on the level of Path of Exile. It's the finest game of the genre. Anything short of POE is somewhat child's play in terms of game systems, frankly.

Am I the only one here who played Champions of Norrath? Because that was the EverQuest version of what OP seems to be describing.

I would play a Warcraft equivalent to that, sure.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

I loved Champions of Norrath! It was/is one of my favorite games of all time. LOVED IT.

Wish SOE would have made a proper PC port of the game. Years ago my PS2 burned out and I lost the ability to play Champions and Trap Gunner. It was tragic.

Yes, I am aware I can buy a console and remedy the situation. However. /Stuff/.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    Am I the only one here who played Champions of Norrath? Because that was the EverQuest version of what OP seems to be describing.

I would play a Warcraft equivalent to that, sure.
    Brb buying it on amazon.

My ps2 is sitting beside me below my tv which I haven't turned on in over like...4 months.

/netflix

Brb buying it on amazon.

My ps2 is sitting beside me below my tv which I haven't turned on in over like...4 months.

/netflix
    Heh, I found it at a Gamestop a few months back and picked it up for like $5 or something. Mucked around for an hour or so and it's pretty fun so far.

Truthfully, I don't care about franchise too much. Even Diablo. despite enjoying all the games in the franchise. I'll play any ARPG so long as it is suitably complicated and interesting.

However, I doubt Blizzard will ever make an extremely complex game at any point out of the Warcraft franchise. It's somewhat a shame that D2 was about as complex Blizzard ever got outside of an RTS that was interesting due to asymmetry primarily.
    PoE has pretty terrible and clunky control as well. It doesn't feel fluid at all. Complexity doesn't always translate into depth too. Things should be simple and straightforward but very deep like chess,StarCraft for example. Not really saying PoE is not a good game though. Everyone has their own opinion. For me D3,PoE,TL2 all of them are not good enough to worth my time. I will give D3 one last chance for RoS because I liked D2 but if Blizz messes up again then goodbye ARPG.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-09-03 at 08:24 AM.

Deleted
    Diablo III is as bright and happy as WoW is. I play it, when I get nostalgic 'bout WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    PoE has pretty terrible and clunky control as well. It doesn't feel fluid at all.
    While it's not as responsive as a game like D3 or TL2, it's far from "clunky". Curious as to what makes you feel the controls are "clunky" (scare quotes are because that's one of the most vague, nebulous terms that's thrown around all the time in various situations without any definition given to it beyond, "I don't like X so I'll call it clunky")

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    While it's not as responsive as a game like D3 or TL2, it's far from "clunky". Curious as to what makes you feel the controls are "clunky" (scare quotes are because that's one of the most vague, nebulous terms that's thrown around all the time in various situations without any definition given to it beyond, "I don't like X so I'll call it clunky")
    The fact that it's not as responsive as D3 makes it "clunky" imo. It's only natural that I compare it to other games in the same genre. It's kinda same concept as there bad because there is good. I don't really like "it's not as good as x but it's not that bad". You could say D3's itemization is not as good as D2's but it's not that bad but the fact is it still sucks.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-09-03 at 09:17 AM.