Page 1 of 47
... LastLast

The End of AdBlock?

AdBlock recently posted a campaign they're launching regarding them trying to "advertise" AdBlock so that more users will download it, and ultimately re-shape the internet advertisement model. After seeing some related videos, I saw a response to it which made some points, some a bit ridiculous, about AdBlocks lifespan. Already, as of a month ago, I've seen some advertisements on Youtube videos slipping through AdBlock, and in this response video, they make the point that websites will ultimately end up blocking users who have AdBlock (some have, which is named in response video) from even accessing their website, or even charging fees (such as Youtube) perhaps $4.99 a month for unlimited viewing or whatever if this begins to effect their profit margin. So my question is, if AdBlock does get too popular, does it have the possibility to make the internet worse-off for everyone as a whole in the future?

Note: I'm NOT saying I agree with the response video, it made points that created the question above

Here's the campaign video:

Here's the response video:
    Last edited by Vellus; 2013-09-07 at 03:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't had any issues with Ads getting through Adblock, and I frequently use Youtube, MMOC, Twitch, etc... So I'll just keep using it until something happens I guess.

Deleted
    Is Adblock+ for Firefox and AdBlock for Chrome created by the same person?

I'd assume so if it's a trademarked name. You can see their whole page by clicking the adblock icon on chrome, has a big link to their campaign/page info

The rebuttal video was so informational, i mean between all the fucks, shits, and pure repetition.

The only way free servie websites can gain profit is through advertisements. If those advertisements don't get seen, the whole purpose of them is gone, and no one will pay to have their name on say youtube. If that happens, youtube obviously has to find some other way to keep their business going.

So in response to your question, yes, I do believe it would be harmful for the internet as a whole if AdBlock got too popular

I won't be surprised if it stops being a reliable tool within a few years, mostly because many website owners or w/e are fed up with their ads getting blocked and are actively looking for ways to correct that, whatever those ways may be. The situation is quite complicated, though. Honestly, I don't really mind what YouTube said they might do in the future - paid access.

For me personally, though, Adblock just blocks ads. It's not taking money away from the websites I browse. I can vaguely recall literally a handful of times when I actually clicked an ad because it interested me. That's against thousands and (hundreds of?) thousands of ads I've seen before installing Adblock. So, I could be considered a leech regardless of whether Adblock was installed on my PC or not since it would hardly have made any difference in how many ads would actually get through to me.
    Last edited by Creotor; 2013-09-07 at 03:18 PM.

The creator of Adblock looks baked.

Also, the rebuttal isn't even something I'd watch with a Call of Duty stream going. That says it all really.
    Last edited by Hurwyn; 2013-09-07 at 03:15 PM.
    I would love to have nice things in game but the game is just too hard for me to earn them in.

Don't worry friend, let us go to the Blizzard store!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    Your in the wrong because ... you haven't been smart

If companies want to charge me because I have Adblock then I will just stop using those pages. It's as simple as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    but...how else would mmochampion make money

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    The rebuttal video was so informational, i mean between all the fucks, shits, and pure repetition.
    True, but I was forming a question more around the content and arguments he discussed than the CoD and the swearing

10+ Year Old Account
    ive never had any ads slip through adblock.

and im 460k ads blocked.

adblock is here to stay
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    If companies want to charge me because I have Adblock then I will just stop using those pages. It's as simple as that.
    You'd just up and stop using youtube?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a funny thing really, I cant think of a single time I have clicked on an add or been persuaded to buy something due to an advert I have seen on any website.

I foresee a company being made that you pay £5/$5 a month to and you never see advertisements online pretty much like how the bbc works in the UK.

Sort of goes back to the piracy stuff, If you purchase a legal copy of a movie you have to put up with unskippable anti piracy bull before you can enjoy your movie, If you download the rip of the exact same movie you don't get any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by InDecisive View Post
    You'd just up and stop using youtube?
    Lol, absolutely. I don't need YouTube for anything.

Mmo-Champ, Pandora, Youtube, I can go on. I don't plan on just "stopping" using those websites

Deleted
    Pretty much, for every website that will charge me there will be a website trying to take in all those that refuse to be charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    Mmo-Champ, Pandora, Youtube, I can go on. I don't plan on just "stopping" using those websites
    I do, I don't need em for anything except youtube for trailers. And imdb offers those just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Pretty much, for every website that will charge me there will be a website trying to take in all those that refuse to be charged.
    That's not a solution. If a service on the internet fails that functions off advertisement, how would a competitor who does the exact same service stay in business and not charge or advertise

I can't watch that Zybak video, I find him intolerable. I love AdBlock and couldn't go on the internet without it. I really don't care if some guy sitting at his computer all day making money from frapsing games "loses" money because of me. However, a few years ago I didn't bother with AdBlock, and here's the important thing to think about: Ads used to be "okay". You'd go on a website with a banner at the top, or down the side of the page. Maybe a square in the corner or whatever. To me that was ok and didn't bother me. Now, you get a 30 second unskippable ad to watch a 2 minute clip on Youtube. You have websites literally infested with ads. It seems 60% content 40% ads. If I turn my adblock off now my screen just gets filled with bullshit. So until the greedy cunts cut back on advertising space I'll keep using AdBlock, and God bless the creators.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Yeah lets all listen to a Mashitima cod-drone busting out a couple worthless videos a day with attention whore titles and thumbnails and worthless opinions and comments