Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Chicken Nugget Made In China? US Chicken supply will now be suspect

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't care about chicken nuggets.

However, it's absolutely bullshit to remove country labels on food of any kind. People have a right to know where their food came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    However, it's absolutely bullshit to remove country labels on food of any kind. People have a right to know where their food came from.
    But that could negatively affect the income of a corporation. We wouldn't want that right?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Don't care about chicken nuggets.

Technically the food came from the US, but was processed in China, after the four Chinese Plants passed USDA inspections. They still have to use only chickens that are born and bred in the US, if they don't want the 'made in china' label applied to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Technically the food came from the US, but was processed in China, after the four Chinese Plants passed USDA inspections. They still have to use only chickens that are born and bred in the US, if they don't want the 'made in china' label applied to them.
    And I'm sure there's going to be rigorous ongoing inspections to ensure that they aren't slipping any of their own product into the stream for increased profits.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Who would want american chicken anyways? 100% banned in the EU, we don´t like our chickens to be rinsed in ammonia and chloride.

Grow in the US and sent to China to be processed is a bit scary. Also makes you wonder what is going on that it is cheaper to ship it around the world then just do all the work here.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmmmmmmmm, mystery meat just became more mysterious!

I fail to see how food safety will go up when the food is being processed in another country and then must be ported here after processing. Strikes me as a very unsafe thing to even attempt. The amount of miscommunication that can happen across the language barrier could easily kill people before they can ever yank products off the shelf in time. I would prefer it stay here so we can at least know faster if it needs to be returned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Who would want american chicken anyways? 100% banned in the EU, we don´t like our chickens to be rinsed in ammonia and chloride.
    Yeah, seriously.

"Made in the US" is treated as if sacrosanct by Americans -- as if their companies would never stoop to the same levels that China's has.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but around here, we don't really like to eat food made in the US, because your standards are not only dubious, but we can't be sure that your corporations won't do the same shit that China does.

I love mc nuggets but I wont buy ones made in china.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    I buy from a local Amish chicken farm, as does most of the people around my area. The shit from big names doesn't really sell around here.

The chicken I buy is fucking good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I fail to see how food safety will go up when the food is being processed in another country and then must be ported here after processing. Strikes me as a very unsafe thing to even attempt. The amount of miscommunication that can happen across the language barrier could easily kill people before they can ever yank products off the shelf in time. I would prefer it stay here so we can at least know faster if it needs to be returned.
    There isn't much of a language barrier anymore. Many Chinese speak better English than most Americans do -- that's either a beaming statement about their education system, or a dismal statement about yours.

Personally, I think it's a little from column A, and a little from column B.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    I buy from a local Amish chicken farm, as does most of the people around my area. The shit from big names doesn't really sell around here.

The chicken I buy is fucking good.
    Yes, but you understand that this is a unique situation, and most people buying chicken at their local grocery store aren't getting the same thing, right?

I remember the chinese dog food that was contaminated with lead. I think the chinese tried to cover it up so it was on the market a long time until dogs started dying.

I dont eat prawns either if they are made in china or near there. I watched a show on how polluted the water was where they were farmed and it was disgusting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Grow in the US and sent to China to be processed is a bit scary. Also makes you wonder what is going on that it is cheaper to ship it around the world then just do all the work here.
    If your processing is in the ballpark of millions of tons (probably more) per year, and you can outsource that processing for pennies on the dollar, shipping doesn't really add up to much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feh. Chicken is chicken. If I wanted to know where It came from I'd buy from a store, or better yet, raise the chicken myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    And I'm sure there's going to be rigorous ongoing inspections to ensure that they aren't slipping any of their own product into the stream for increased profits.
    You didn't hear the best part? They are going to let them inspect themselves.

That's like the government returning autonomy to auditors, but here we are playing with peoples lives, not investments.

China imports far more food than it exports so i wouldn't be worried. The article sounds like fear mongering.

And, chicken lovers, brace yourselves: There's more. A report suggests chicken inspections here in the U.S. might be poised to take a turn for the worse. The Government Accountability Office this week it has serious "questions about the validity" of the new procedures for inspecting poultry across the country.

Basically, these changes would replace many USDA inspectors on chicken processing lines with employees from the poultry companies themselves. The USDA has been piloting the new procedures, which will save money and significantly speed up processing lines, in 29 chicken plants. As The Washington Post , the plan is to roll out the new procedures eventually to "most of the country's 239 chicken and 96 turkey plants."

What shocks me is the attitude some have that American companies are somehow more respectable then Chinese. China does nothing but the processing of the chicken, turning it into the Chicken Nugget. It is still the exact same meat, but it is clearly cheaper to do it all in China.

I doubt it has any impact on the taste, flavour, or texture seeing as American Chicken(s) tends to be pumped with Chemicals, Flavourings & Preservatives.