10+ Year Old Account

Rediscovering Darkness Assassin Joys: PvP

I love Deception/Infiltration, and the rework to make the spec viable made me very happy. The downside is that a Deception Assassin is very squishy, making them a "glass cannon" build. Yes, they have decent defensive CD's that can help in the start of a fight, but in a prolonged engagement they wilt very quickly.

As mentioned in another thread, I mostly enjoy the "Bruiser" style of gameplay, and the other day I got back on my Assassin and decided to go back spec Darkness. It was just how I remembered it...great. =)

Darkness will not pump out much burst and is not really good at taking out healers by themselves, but they do provide a great amount of team support in mass battles as well as making for arguably the best solo node defenders. And its been fun to be a beast again who can widdle an enemy down faster than they can widdle me down.

The method of spec'ing Darkness and wearing DPS gear is still viable, and is what I'm doing (using a Shield Generator instead of a Focus though). And it allows for some decent constant damage (not much burst though) while also providing a good amount of defense through Armor and Shielding. For reference, an Operative and myself were able to defend the mid node in Alderaan from about 5-6 enemies for a very significant amount of time due to using LoS and the high number of AoE attacks the Darkness Assassin has.

So if you've got an Assassin you want to take for a spin in PvP, but don't want to get blown up, try Darkness. Its nice!

Shield generators are OP.

I like darkness as well but... Infiltration / deception is like... Crossing an enhancement shaman with a rogue! At least when I played WoW it would have been. No idea what either class is like nowadays. I putzd around on my shadow in a warzone the other day and god DAMN backstab can hit hard.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you can Maul crit for 8-9k easy. And like I say, I LOVE the Deception/Infiltration spec. But its super squishy and doesn't function well in a big brawl. I've also had issues with taking down top tier healers in groups with Deception, which is annoying. But then again, that is in a PUG situation where I am the only one attacking the healer most of the time.

Have you watched Aeonetta's videos? She is by far the best Assassin/Shadow I have ever seen, and her guild was briefly on my server so I had the chance to face off against her several times. Even though our gear was similar, I felt like I was in Recruit gear against a Veteran. She thoroughly outclassed me every time I tried to duel her off on some node. Without a doubt she places the spec with near perfection. She's got some Arena videos up as well now.

I have not. I might start watching pvp videos again... The whole, studying MPR matches for 2 years was like... Ew. Sort of grew to hate arena even as I got better at it.

I had a decent 1v2 on my lowbie shadow today. Managed to take snow solo from a pair of inquiz. Squash dem clothies

- - - Updated - - -

Umm... Cathar warstaff.

I had to buy.

HAD TO.

- - - Updated - - -

What music do you listen to while battlegrounding?

I've been listening to some early bonobo and crystal castles new album
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-09-12 at 01:46 AM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Yeah, you can Maul crit for 8-9k easy. And like I say, I LOVE the Deception/Infiltration spec. But its super squishy and doesn't function well in a big brawl. I've also had issues with taking down top tier healers in groups with Deception, which is annoying. But then again, that is in a PUG situation where I am the only one attacking the healer most of the time.

Have you watched Aeonetta's videos? She is by far the best Assassin/Shadow I have ever seen, and her guild was briefly on my server so I had the chance to face off against her several times. Even though our gear was similar, I felt like I was in Recruit gear against a Veteran. She thoroughly outclassed me every time I tried to duel her off on some node. Without a doubt she places the spec with near perfection. She's got some Arena videos up as well now.
    You have a link? Can't find anything on youtube with that name.

I played Deception on my shadow... solo capping a node is no problem unless there is a good duo or a third person coming to help. I play darkness spec on my assassin.... keeping the nod against 3 people very possible... and these two examples are considered vs. medicore = good player.

I like being a self-healing tank: http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-...0000000&ver=20

Running full survivor with a shield.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    What music do you listen to while battlegrounding?

I've been listening to some early bonobo and crystal castles new album
    Honestly, I just listen to the in game music. Back in the WoW days I would jam out to some metal while tearing through BG's, but with SWTOR I just go with the standard tunes. Sometimes I hum along with the tune too. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    You have a link? Can't find anything on youtube with that name.
    Here is a link to her videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/psish40/videos
    I liked her previous videos better than her newest one. She puts out very useful videos though, and goes over tactical decisions and rotations with the class which can be very useful. Its a lot more interesting to me than watching someone's crit video.

She's a girl...

jk