Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Babzu View Post
    So I lived in a college apartment with a few roommates, one of them constantly stole from me, and sold my stuff. I would always tell the apartment managers but they would never move him out or help me, he was always rude to me and any guest I would have.

So on the day I moved out, I spray painted his guitar. This lead to him filling out a police report and I eventually admitted to the act. While being questioned during the investigation. They sent me home and said "We will contact the victim and ask if he wishes to press charges"

I later talked to the victim and offered to pay for the guitar if he chose not to press charges, he signed something saying he can not legally re-open the case. And on some sort of writing that has yet to be made clear to me, I am going to pay him $800.

My question is....did I just ruin my life? Will I ever be able to get an IT job? Will I have a record even though he is not pressing charges? Should I just give up schooling? I am in a very mentally un-safe place atm and im scared for my future, any advice or information would be helpful. Thank you.
    You decided it wasn't appropriate to call the police on someone "constantly" (seriously, constantly?!) stealing your stuff and selling it, but it was appropriate to spray paint his guitar...or for that matter, continue living with him and then also spray paint his guitar? Sheesh. No, you'll be just fine, even if he didn't drop the charges, but dang I don't think anyone ought to hire you if this is any evidence of your critical thinking abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    because then he would be tattling...
    As silly as it sounds, this is somewhat accurate, I just wanted a peaceful relocation, I didint want to cause a big problem.

However....impulse and emotions overtook me.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Sounds fake to me.
    What about this sounds fake?

10+ Year Old Account
    What about this sounds fake?
    Sensationalist title and questions scream troll and/or chronic immaturity.

My question is....did I just ruin my life? Will I ever be able to get an IT job? Will I have a record even though he is not pressing charges? Should I just give up schooling?
    The intensity of my scoffs increased at every new sentence I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Well im 20 and never been in trouble with the law before....so immaturity sounds about right.

Deleted
    $800?

Write out a cheque, take it over there and break the fucking thing in two, you may as well get your money's worth. Tell him I said he's a snidely little cunt too for going to the police after what he did.

Report the shit that he stole and sold.

No employer will care about this on your record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    When a homeless person is rambling in the streets, it's better to ignore them than argue with them. On the internets it's clearly better to spend an entire week proving them wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Chill winston.
    Everythings fine, you probably shouldn't have fucked up his guitar (or admitted to it at least). Pay that dickhead, get on with your life. Don't worry.

Love the Lock, Stock reference

OT You are fine, there is no record to be worried about. He chose to not press charges. I think the better thing to do would have been to called the police when your stuff went missing, but that's just me.

Someone said previously the state cant bring up charges on something like this? Is this not true?
    State can keep them for anything, if they see it worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    All of that plus "So I lived in a college apartment with a few roommates, one of them constantly stole from me, and sold my stuff. I would always tell the apartment managers but they would never move him out or help me, he was always rude to me and any guest I would have."

Ok so this guy only robbed you? What about your other roommates, did he rob them also? How do you know he sold your stuff? You will tell the apartment managers but not the police? Just seems like a fake story.

This is a serious life lesson that never would have happened if you wouldn't have been such a weak-willed fool. Somebody commits a crime against you, you fucking call the fucking cops on their ass. Fucking apartment manager? Seriously? Your life may not be ruined, but you'd better do some serious cowboying the fuck up in the future; or you're fucked.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

So I lived in a college apartment with a few roommates, one of them constantly stole from me, and sold my stuff. I would always tell the apartment managers but they would never move him out or help me, he was always rude to me and any guest I would have.

So on the day I moved out, I spray painted his guitar. This lead to him filling out a police report and I eventually admitted to the act. While being questioned during the investigation. They sent me home and said "We will contact the victim and ask if he wishes to press charges"

I later talked to the victim and offered to pay for the guitar if he chose not to press charges, he signed something saying he can not legally re-open the case. And on some sort of writing that has yet to be made clear to me, I am going to pay him $800.

My question is....did I just ruin my life? Will I ever be able to get an IT job? Will I have a record even though he is not pressing charges? Should I just give up schooling? I am in a very mentally un-safe place atm and im scared for my future, any advice or information would be helpful. Thank you.
    I've done something equally stupid. Don't sweat it. I had the same fears but it ended up working out in my favour in the end.

But really. The guy was stealing from you, you should have at least had the balls to call the cops. What are the apartment managers going to do about someone stealing someone's things? Nothing. That's why he's charging you. He went to the cops first, which is what you should have done instead of spray painting his guitar. I'd ask your apartment managers to give their opinion to the cops, I don't know if that would help, but it would serve as somewhat of a witness to what he was doing to you.

And even if it was on your record, I don't think that spray painting a guitar would be something prohibiting you from staying in college or getting a job. It's so minuscule. I'd understand if you killed someone, or stole, but you didn't. I think he's gone a bit overboard on this though. He could easily get the guitar refinished. However, in all honesty, if he's signed papers that he cannot re-open the case, then he cannot re-open the case. It will probably not be on your record at all. And for the love of Odin's great beard don't give up school just because you spray painted some asshole's guitar.
    Last edited by Nyogtha666; 2013-09-13 at 02:25 AM.

he was stealing from you... i would have just kicked his ass or film him masturbating then post it online
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

Nah. But in future, report theft as soon as it happens, get away from toxic people like that ASAP and don't retaliate like with the guitar, only gives them ammo to use against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arog View Post
    I assure you that you will be fine. I've done worse and have a very steady job in IT.
    ...but that was in another country. And besides, the wench is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Another lesson you've learned: Don't talk to the cops. Ever. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    Another lesson you've learned: Don't talk to the cops. Ever. Period.
    Or... talk to them a lot earlier, when you're the victim, before you become the accused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Of all the people I've ever heard bitching about how their lives are "ruined", yours is probably "ruined" the least.

Oh man, I got mad just reading that. If you were going to get yourself charged over him, you should have just given him a solid beating.

And yes, you should have told the police when he stole from you.

Deleted
    I would have thought up a better revenge.