10+ Year Old Account

People openly admitting to botting their DPS

So recently it has come to my attention that one of the guys I'm raiding with has been botting his raid DPS. Is this a common thing now or something? I guess I don't see the appeal of such a thing but he was able to just obey mechanics without flinching while still pulling high numbers.

Seems really boring to me, I wonder if top guilds do this.

Reminds me of the 1 button ret macro back in WOTLK, max dps by basically pressing 1 button macro over and over.

Did whoever told you this mean an actual program was used, or was it used as a joke about a cast sequence macro/simple rotation? If have heard the latter used before, but never heard of an actual program used for PvE.

I can promise, that top guilds indeed, do this. I know a few, I'm friends with a few, actually. It's nothing new, no...but to each their own, really.
    Top guild players are probably more pressured into thinking this is the only option to keep their sanity, while that obviously is not the case. It certainly is the reason for a lot of them and others having their own reasons, like it simply being if designed correctly, not comparing to human play w/ error on strictly patchwerk speaking fights (especially after 10+ hours of wiping, whereas they won't fatigue like a normal person on their numbers).

They can be designed into more detail than most people would expect, like refreshing dots based on power and reacting to mechanics.
    Last edited by Kink; 2013-09-30 at 02:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    Did whoever told you this mean an actual program was used, or was it used as a joke about a cast sequence macro/simple rotation? If have heard the latter used before, but never heard of an actual program used for PvE.
    Actual program.

I've not heard about it being admitted by someone who wasn't "a total stranger in trade chat" that often but I'm sure it's somewhat common in dungeons and LFR. top guilds, though? I would hope they wouldn't take the risk of getting the whole guild taken out of the race for that.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Zylan View Post
    Reminds me of the 1 button ret macro back in WOTLK, max dps by basically pressing 1 button macro over and over.
    Ha, and I thought I was the only ret doing that!