Page 21 of 109 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Ah yeah, 1200 something is pretty amazing.
    Seems like they arent sending out cherry picked cards out to reviewers :P

Now Im curious how my 7970 when overclocked compares to a 780 :P Have to check that out someday.
    Yeah, I'm curious about what my 7950 can do (in the hands of somebody that really knows what they're doing), given that I had it around 1200 with minimal voltage tweaks without artifacting during the Afterburner stress test. Never really needed it to run higher than the 900MHz stock though, what with only really playing WoW and the GPU never seeing more than ~40% load anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Yeah, I'm curious about what my 7950 can do (in the hands of somebody that really knows what they're doing), given that I had it around 1200 with minimal voltage tweaks without artifacting during the Afterburner stress test. Never really needed it to run higher than the 900MHz stock though, what with only really playing WoW and the GPU never seeing more than ~40% load anyway.
    With a 1200 MHz coreclock you card would be just as powerful as overclocked 680/7970 custom cards.
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/g..._king_review/3
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Is the release date for the 290x confirmed to the 15th ? ive seen a LOT of different stuff on the net the last couple of days. And i am getting kinda confused here now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Is the release date for the 290x confirmed to the 15th ? ive seen a LOT of different stuff on the net the last couple of days. And i am getting kinda confused here now
    It's not confirmed, it's a rumor or rather a leaked slide from amd with a release date imprinted in one of their slides.
    NDA should lift by 15 Oct, so perhaps 2-3 days after we will see the cards in stock at retailers.
    Last edited by Toffie; 2013-10-10 at 04:21 PM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    It's not confirmed, it's a rumor or rather a leaked slide from amd with a release date imprinted in one of their slides.
    NDA should lift by 15 Oct, so perhaps 2-3 days after we will see the cards in stock at retailers.
    Ah. i see. Well. 2-3 days extra is no problem. Aslong as it is here by the time bf4 is out

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yeah, 1200 something is pretty amazing.
    Seems like they arent sending out cherry picked cards out to reviewers :P

Now Im curious how my 7970 when overclocked compares to a 780 :P Have to check that out someday.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...g-Leaderboards

Get comparing!!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    soon! backplates finally were up for order today.
    next week > flying cards

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    soon! backplates finally were up for order today.
    next week > flying cards
    I meant for the guy with the 7970 to compare to the NVidia...
    "A flower.

Deleted
    I meant for the guy with the 7970 to compare to the NVidia...
    Just checked that one of shroudster and the highest clocked 7970 (1300 i think). And the 7970 is beating the 780 in heaven :P Altho there seems to be some inconsitensies between benchmarks, or im just not looking that good at it.

To bad my card sucks at overclocking -.- Just tried it again, and it just wouldnt play BF4 (1200/1500 @ 1.2v) Gonna try it without the memory overclock another time, I think my memory just sucks or something.
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2013-10-10 at 09:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before trying in a beta game, I suggest a real benchmark. Go do some Heaven and Valley and 3DMark. :P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just looked at my 7970 overclock (1275 MHz), at a score of 9.500. I'm not sure but the titan is getting around 9000, thats pretty sick for the price of 300 $.
    http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphi...-ii-oc/?page=3

Can't wait to overclock the heck out of that R9-290X ^^

Just checked that one of shroudster and the highest clocked 7970 (1300 i think). And the 7970 is beating the 780 in heaven :P Altho there seems to be some inconsitensies between benchmarks, or im just not looking that good at it.

To bad my card sucks at overclocking -.- Just tried it again, and it just wouldnt play BF4 (1200/1500 @ 1.2v) Gonna try it without the memory overclock another time, I think my memory just sucks or something.
    I think 1.2v is really conservative voltage wise for that overclock, The sapphire toxic 280x is at 1.263v at 1150Mhz so, I think you should pump more juice before calling the quits.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    I just looked at my 7970 overclock (1275 MHz), at a score of 9.500. I'm not sure but the titan is getting around 9000, thats pretty sick for the price of 300 $.
    http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphi...-ii-oc/?page=3

Can't wait to overclock the heck out of that R9-290X ^^
    Well, I see your score in my OC leaderboard thread is ~8,150, which is damned good...

Really makes me wonder, if the R9-290X is going to have the specs we've seen, is a new architecture and everything... just what scores will it get? O.o I have a feeling we might see some obscenely high scores from single card configurations.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I don't mean to sound like an idiot, benchmarking guy but what the hell do these scores mean? I usually just run them once or twice when I get new hardware to make sure everything works and then never think about it again. Can somebody clear this all up for me?

• AMD is claiming >7000 on their launch slide show for the 290x in firestrike
    • I found somewhere claiming that a certain 'unrecognized' card is scoring >9000, and that it's a 290x however 3dmark says "not recognized" (so I'm assuming that means it could be some troll? do people fake benchmarks?)
    • Above, Toffie claims 9500 on a 7970 ghz
    • Shroudster says Toffie scored ~8150 on the leader boards for MMOC (which is good)

I suspect everyone is talking about different versions/tests/configurations or something, but I have no idea how to interpret what's going on.
    How would I go about comparing these score to my current hardware to figure out if it's worth shelling out for a few of these new things?

Toffie could have a different overclock for the higher score, but not bothered to do all the verification required for the leaderboard.

An "unrecognized" card could just be that the software running is not updated to know what an "R9-290X" is.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I don't mean to sound like an idiot, benchmarking guy but what the hell do these scores mean? I usually just run them once or twice when I get new hardware to make sure everything works and then never think about it again. Can somebody clear this all up for me?

• AMD is claiming >7000 on their launch slide show for the 290x in firestrike
    • I found somewhere claiming that a certain 'unrecognized' card is scoring >9000, and that it's a 290x however 3dmark says "not recognized" (so I'm assuming that means it could be some troll? do people fake benchmarks?)
    • Above, Toffie claims 9500 on a 7970 ghz
    • Shroudster says Toffie scored ~8150 on the leader boards for MMOC (which is good)

I suspect everyone is talking about different versions/tests/configurations or something, but I have no idea how to interpret what's going on.
    How would I go about comparing these score to my current hardware to figure out if it's worth shelling out for a few of these new things?
    Basically these scores are a way to see who's got the better cards or setups, mind you these scores mainly run on all sorts of different configurations. Also each benchmark utility has there own index to go by for scores but for the one's they are referencing they base the scores on GPU's performance taking in to account core clock etc.

One way to look at it is like comparing the efficiency of say a simple while loop:
    Code:
    GCD of ra,rb, using 'while' loop

.while

CMP  ra,rb  ;WHILE a<>b

BNE  endwhile

SUBGT ra,ra,rb ; IF a>b THEN a=a-b 

SUBLE rb,rb,ra ;   ELSE b=b-a

B  while  ;ENDWHILE

.endwhile
    Then by optimizing it a bit (think higher clocks/different voltages):
    Code:
    GCD of ra,rb, using 'while' loop

.while

CMP  ra,rb  ;REPEAT

SUBGT ra,ra,rb ; IF a>b THEN a=a-b

SUBLT rb,rb,ra ;  ELSE IF a<b b=b-a

BNE  while  ;UNTIL a=b  endwhile
    Basically the comparison is in the time it takes to execute each loop to the "speed" of a GPU, and then give them a score to compare performance, whereas in the coding example it's measured in time.

10+ Year Old Account
    9500 was the graphics score of the "Firestrike" benchmark.
    The 8150 score was with the CPU, so overall score was 8150.

780 = 9487

Which means my overclocked card should most likely perform just as good as the 780 stock in most games.

Last edited by Toffie; 2013-10-11 at 02:03 AM.

nVidia Fire Back!!!!...by dropping prices on the 600 series.

Well, I guess noone saw it coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    The AMD slides was performance preset, so typically performance, yes.
    AMD slide was showing about 6500 for firestrike, I've never understood what that means honestly....
    280X gets about 8.400 in performance with firestrike, 6500 score in the AMD slide makes no sense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post

This is actually old news (talking new AMD release) and not surprising really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post

270x competes with the 760, what is nvidia thinking?

270X = 50 $ cheaper than 760 at the same performance.
    280X = 100 $ cheaper with same performance or better in most instances.

Also, you got this from me, expect the GTX 880 20nm from nvidia to drop with a price of 1000 $ + seeing as 20nm is much more expensive at the start due to high HUGE demand.

They better step up their game with drivers and their prices and I might buy their product again.