Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Always make it about yourself. "Hey guys I know I'm terrible but I'm at least much better now that I optimized my character using askmrrobot.com. Yes sir, it really helped.". (I'm not terrible, at least not compared to some.)

So far in SoO LFR though, it's not DPS that's the problem, it's the lack of ability to do any kind of mechanic. People read that damned "I afk'd" article and decided to try it - hey! Maybe that's it - maybe Blizzard read that article and decided to make sure no fight could be survived while afk.

Back in WotLK I've met the worst player ever. We were doing Scarlet Monastery and this hunter had no pet and only white gear. People tried to explain him about pets and gear but he never replied back. The last boss dropped 2 blue cloth items, he rolled need and won them both. I rofled. Must have been a troll, it was too surreal

Last time I really helped anyone on WoW was in Wrath. The reaction the OP got is why I don't do anything nice for free anymore.

Unwanted help is not and should not be called "help". It's meddling. It doesn't matter what your intentions are.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    If you don't understand why saying "Hey, you're doing less dps than the tank, if you want I can help you with your rotation" is insulting to a stranger, then you are missing basic elements of your understanding of human interactions.

Most people would instinctively know that unsolicited criticism is perceived as aggression.

If you don't just know that then you need to at least learn it.
    If someone is as offended by something as neutral as that, responding with fuck off more or less, he truly has some issues. He offered advice in a neutral form, not insulting him with hey noob do this and that you waste of space etc. A no thanks or a simple No would have been enough, that particular response was uncalled for, as such that guy is pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Norgannon the Dreamweaver View Post
    You sound so ignorant and insensitive.

You don't even consider logic and common sense. What a shame.

I hope you're trolling because I don't understand your griefish ways.
    That is too bad, I tend to say what comes to my mind and don't sugar coat it too much, if some peole are too thin skinned to deal with that it certainly isn't my problem. You know how that is called? Honesty, some people should try it once in a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas View Post
    Right, cause its totally not Blizzard's fault for completely and utterly failing to teach players how to play their class and what stats they should prioritize.

The fact that outside sources is required for players to know what to do is a failure on Blizzard's part. Not the player; players shouldn't have to read guides on how to gem or what their rotation should be; the damn game should teach you that. But no, lets blame the player because reasons.
    You're saying the game doesn't teach you the basics on the way to 90? I call bullshit. You should know your general rotation and those empty gem slots obviously need to be filled, same with enchants. It's basic knowledge.. players are just too retarded these days and need everything handed to them on a silver platter, and when that does happen they cry for a gold one.

Laziness is a plague in todays gaming. Just take a look at LFR, or similar braindead content like GW2, everything is basically a glorified facebook app.. could it get any fucking simpler? Seriously?

Makes me sad that all future MMOs are only going to get worse and worse. I may have to drop the genre indefinitely if I ever get sick of WoW, and even this game is getting a bit out of control, if there wasn't heroic content I'd be gone in a heart beat because everything else can be done with your eyes closed.

But no, let's defend terrible players.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2013-09-25 at 07:11 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    If someone is as offended by something as neutral as that, responding with fuck off more or less, he truly has some issues. He offered advice in a neutral form, not insulting him with hey noob do this and that you waste of space etc. A no thanks or a simple No would have been enough, that particular response was uncalled for, as such that guy is pathetic.
    Once again, if you don't understand that unsolicited criticism is interpreted as aggression, you don't understand something fundamental about how to talk to other people.

I'm just sayin'. It's like if you wave a gun around in front of a cop and get shot and you say "obviously I was hot and was just trying to cool myself down by using my pistol as a fan" and the cops say "what kind of retard are you," well, that's what it's like.

You and everyone else who thinks people "ought to" respond to unsolicited criticism from a stranger in a neutral manner are just narcissistic blockheads who have no grasp of how people function socially.

Deleted
    Yeah people tend to take that the wrong way.
    I just keep quiet and do my thing, unless asked, then i'll explain everything to them.

Once again, if you don't understand that unsolicited criticism is interpreted as aggression, you don't understand something fundamental about how to talk to other people.

I'm just sayin'. It's like if you wave a gun around in front of a cop and get shot and you say "obviously I was hot and was just trying to cool myself down by using my pistol as a fan" and the cops say "what kind of retard are you," well, that's what it's like.

You and everyone else who thinks people "ought to" respond to unsolicited criticism from a stranger in a neutral manner are just narcissistic blockheads who have no grasp of how people function socially.
    If you say so, doesn't change the fact that people who snap, because someone offered some advice, are not worthy to receive any kind of help even if they ask on their own later on.

Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    I have noticed this in my last LFR. When I told a fellow warlock "hey , you're doing less dps then the tank, if you want I can help you with your rotation".

The reply i've got was "mind your own fucking business".

I mean this is a game and it shouldn't be compared to real life where if 3 people try to move a couch and one doesn't put any effort in it, as long as the couch gets moved nobody should pick on the third guy who is just pretending to move it.

But honestly I don't understand why every single rule in the game is protecting the people who don't try to improve. LFR has rewards that makes raiders interested enough to clear it and thus boost players who do have the gear but don't have the skill to do it.
    This encourages people to be lazy and i don't understand why.

When the new patch came out and raiders stoped doing lfr as they were interested in soo , i was amused to see my friend wiping again and again at throne of thunder because there werent enough raiders to carry everebody.

Oh well i digress. My point is, that i can hardly imagine how these people play LoL or dota2. If they can't stand even the most minor criticism, how can they stand the down right insults coming from a dota 2 team when you underperform
    Wow offers different things for different people!
    If you are a good player, then normal raiding is aimed at you and you will improve yourself to HC's, if you want.
    If you are just there to have some fun in a mmo, and don't want to study journals, websites or anything, just want to log on and have fun.... yeah then LFR is aimed at you.

What I don't understand is that players who are good/very good/great come into a feature which isn't meant for them and then start yelling at people and trying people to start playing the game as they themselves do. Why? If you choose to use lfr for whatever reason, then just accept that the crowd in there, plays and takes this game in a different way then you do.

You are coming somewhere which isnot your place, so you are the one who has to adjust.

You don't see those casual players coming into your HC-raid and say: Okay guys, wise up! You are moving too quickly out of the fire, chill, you have time. Or say: Tjeeeesus what the hell are you ding this much dps??? Are you in a hurry? Do you have to leave and go on a date? If you don't have the time, don't queue. Take it easy, enjoy the content. This doesn't happen right?

And why does it encourage people to be lazy? This is just a game, you have no clue as to what they do irl. So you can't judge them right?
    That they are like that in a game... well, it is just a game.

I personally don't need to excel in a game, I try to excel in real life. In the time I have to myself, i play this game.
    Now, before you call me lazy or anything, you must know what I am like in real life, right?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Unwanted help is not and should not be called "help". It's meddling. It doesn't matter what your intentions are.
    Here's someone who understands.

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    Wow offers different things for different people!
    If you are a good player, then normal raiding is aimed at you and you will improve yourself to HC's, if you want.
    If you are just there to have some fun in a mmo, and don't want to study journals, websites or anything, just want to log on and have fun.... yeah then LFR is aimed at you.

What I don't understand is that players who are good/very good/great come into a feature which isn't meant for them and then start yelling at people and trying people to start playing the game as they themselves do. Why? If you choose to use lfr for whatever reason, then just accept that the crowd in there, plays and takes this game in a different way then you do.

You are coming somewhere which isnot your place, so you are the one who has to adjust.

You don't see those casual players coming into your HC-raid and say: Okay guys, wise up! You are moving too quickly out of the fire, chill, you have time. Or say: Tjeeeesus what the hell are you ding this much dps??? Are you in a hurry? Do you have to leave and go on a date? If you don't have the time, don't queue. Take it easy, enjoy the content. This doesn't happen right?

And why does it encourage people to be lazy? This is just a game, you have no clue as to what they do irl. So you can't judge them right?
    That they are like that in a game... well, it is just a game.

I personally don't need to excel in a game, I try to excel in real life. In the time I have to myself, i play this game.
    Now, before you call me lazy or anything, you must know what I am like in real life, right?
    So LFR is meant for players doing 30k dps? Sure, just don't ever ask me to join a pug for flex or normal raids with me because I will definitely tell you you don't belong in that group with your auto attacking .

I will also adjust to LFR and start doing 30k dps. If that makes everyone happy. And don't give me advice because I have feelings you know. Also don't tell me to do better when we wipe because that would be unacceptable behaviour.

Thanks everyone for clearing this up. I will pass it on to my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a DK and a tank, the only feelings I have are Hate, Contempt, and Rage. Mostly in that order.

Here's someone who understands.
    I understand also. I will never ever again post tactics in raid chat. If someone asks I will whisper them. This must improve your LFR experience.

And he is absolutely right.
    Imagine yourself on his place - every lfr he runs there is smartass like you telling him what to do.

It's HIS difficulty. This difficulty was created specifically for people like him. He is not in your guild run, he is not in your pug run, he has right to play the way he likes.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    I understand also. I will never ever again post tactics in raid chat. If someone asks I will whisper them. This must improve your LFR experience.
    There's a difference between:

"Group 1 red, Group 2 purple, Group 3 green, Group 4 yellow"

and

"Pfaphfard let me help you with your DPS you won't be so bad after I show you what to do"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omertocracy View Post
    As a DK and a tank, the only feelings I have are Hate, Contempt, and Rage. Mostly in that order.
    Whoa dude you're like ...

... WORLD OF SHAS.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have noticed this in my last LFR. When I told a fellow warlock "hey , you're doing less dps then the tank, if you want I can help you with your rotation".

I mean this is a game and it shouldn't be compared to real life where if 3 people try to move a couch and one doesn't put any effort in it, as long as the couch gets moved nobody should pick on the third guy who is just pretending to move it.

But honestly I don't understand why every single rule in the game is protecting the people who don't try to improve. LFR has rewards that makes raiders interested enough to clear it and thus boost players who do have the gear but don't have the skill to do it.
    This encourages people to be lazy and i don't understand why.

When the new patch came out and raiders stoped doing lfr as they were interested in soo , i was amused to see my friend wiping again and again at throne of thunder because there werent enough raiders to carry everebody.

Oh well i digress. My point is, that i can hardly imagine how these people play LoL or dota2. If they can't stand even the most minor criticism, how can they stand the down right insults coming from a dota 2 team when you underperform
    Remidns me of all the times I hear "dont tell me how to play" as a responce.
    Some people lack any and all competitive instinct so they have no clue what it means to actually perform and improve.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am guessing you can't figure out why everyone finds Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory) so funny...

That is too bad, I tend to say what comes to my mind and don't sugar coat it too much, if some peole are too thin skinned to deal with that it certainly isn't my problem. You know how that is called? Honesty, some people should try it once in a while.
    Trying to masquerade a thinly veiled insult as honesty is disingenuous.

While I could call you a socially inept retard for having such an attitude, there are much better ways of expressing the "truth" that would be less insulting and most likely more constructive and no less "honest".

Please explain what purpose "being honest" in the manner you suggest serves? If he has any kind of awareness of what dps is and where his is sitting, he is already aware of the fact that his dps is below the tanks. If he has no awareness of what his dps is, well then there is no point really in telling him because it won't mean anything to him. Either way, that particular comment is likely to rile up the respondent.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I am guessing you can't figure out why everyone finds Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory) so funny...

Trying to masquerade a thinly veiled insult as honesty is disingenuous.

While I could call you a socially inept retard for having such an attitude, there are much better ways of expressing the "truth" that would be less insulting and most likely more constructive and no less "honest".

Please explain what purpose "being honest" in the manner you suggest serves? If he has any kind of awareness of what dps is and where his is sitting, he is already aware of the fact that his dps is below the tanks. If he has no awareness of what his dps is, well then there is no point really in telling him because it won't mean anything to him.
    As I said before, it was presented in a realtive neutral way and if someone answers in such a manner it only makes it easier to weed out people worthy of association, and people who react in such a way simply aren't worth the time.

Either way, that particular comment is likely to rile up the respondent.
    I disagree if it had been meant to truly rile someone up he would have insulted him like "lol noob what the hell are you doing, use this this and this etc."
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2013-09-25 at 11:44 AM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly though, thinking about this whole thread a bit more, is LFR really the best place to try and teach a complete stranger how to play their class? I would argue that it's probably one of the worst places. People in LFR want to get through the place quickly and without a fuss. Giving them a running tutorial will slow both of you down and make both of you perform worse and really is very unlikely to achieve anything useful or helpful.

There is a world of difference between explaining fight mechanics and tactics to fellow LFRers and teaching them the basics of how to play their class/role. The responsibility for that lies with people on their own realm, preferably guildies and friends. Not strangers in a LFR instance.

This sort of thing should be done after an LFR run, and unless the other person is on your realm (or a connected realm), it would be completely pointless. I honestly doubt the OP's sincerity about his real intentions with the other warlock.

I still remember many years ago when I first joined a raiding guild and started to raid properly. There was a really awesome hunter in the group at the time (well I certainly thought at the time he was awesome!) who decided to take me under his wing.

After about 2 weeks of raids, he sent me a private mail that started something like this:

"Hi Raelbo,

I have been watching how you play and would like to say you're not a bad hunter. However there are a few areas I have noticed where you can improve..."

He then proceeded to produce a short essay on what I was doing wrong and things I should be working on to improve. The "truth" is I was a noob and I was not very good at all. I had a great deal to learn and grow before I would become a competent raider. But because of the way my mentor elected to approach me, he got himself into a position where I could learn from him. And I did.

Offering unsolicited "advice" to a complete strange who you are unlikely to ever see again in a setting like LFR is a recipe for disaster. OP really shouldn't have been surprised that his advances would be met with suspicion.