Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

John Kerry signs U.N. Arms Trade Treaty

We're the 91st country to sign the treaty. Requires ratification from Congress (which it will not receive).

http://world.time.com/2013/09/26/the...-trade-treaty/
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Deleted
    Why was this not signed earlier? Seems pretty logical to me.

Its a good treaty.

Doesn't stand a chance.

Pointless political posturing.

Congress isn't going to hurt the arms industry. They have been getting fat and giggly off Defense contracts for more than a decade, why stop now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Pointless political posturing.

Congress isn't going to hurt the arms industry. They have been getting fat and giggly off Defense contracts for more than a decade, why stop now?
    Yep.

Congress: "Here, have a tank!"
    Army: "We have enough."
    Congress: "We weren't asking. Take your fucking tank."

Their voters depend on their jobs building tanks (as an example). The politicians have an incentive to keep pulling money in to build more tanks. It's a fucked up system, but the other option seems to be letting the military decide how much to spend on stuff, which is likely worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Its a good treaty.

Doesn't stand a chance.
    Not even a whiff of a chance.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure why we sign treaties before having the senate ratify them beyond political showmanship. It is just as pointless as if the President signed all the laws he wished were law before congress even addressed them.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    Yep.

Their voters depend on their jobs building tanks (as an example). The politicians have an incentive to keep pulling money in to build more tanks. It's a fucked up system, but the other option seems to be letting the military decide how much to spend on stuff, which is likely worse.

You would be very surprised, anytime I speak to anyone about this they always come up with ways on how to increase quality of training and equipment while still saving money. Ask your Government why they pay $1 for an item that you can buy for 5 cents in any hardware store, thats where the majority of money is going, Lining the pockets of their friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Noble as the treaty may be, I have one concern about the UN being able to determine who does and doesn't get weapons: As I recall, the UN doesn't recognize Taiwan. Will this, in any way, effect our ability to supply Taiwan with arms?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    You would be very surprised, anytime I speak to anyone about this they always come up with ways on how to increase quality of training and equipment while still saving money. Ask your Government why they pay $1 for an item that you can buy for 5 cents in any hardware store, thats where the majority of money is going, Lining the pockets of their friends.
    I know I just went to the doctor and they charged almost $20 for an ace bandage.......OOO this isn't the same topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    Yep.

The Army didn't want the tanks only because of budget cuts...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame6 View Post
    I know I just went to the doctor and they charged almost $20 for an ace bandage.......OOO this isn't the same topic.
    Exactly the same principle, this not a US only problem though, most Military forces suffer from the same bullshit, paying through the nose for an item you can buy for a fraction of the price elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly the same principle, this not a US only problem though, most Military forces suffer from the same bullshit, paying through the nose for an item you can buy for a fraction of the price elsewhere.
    Its that "Mil-Spec" label.....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Its that "Mil-Spec" label.....
    And the serial number, gotta be able to trace that AA battery.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the serial number, gotta be able to trace that AA battery.
    Worst waste I ever saw was the throwing away of an industrial sized waste container full of UNOPENED packages of air navigation charts because they were out of data, many of which were not even needed at the command.

Deleted
    Worst waste I ever saw was the throwing away of an industrial sized waste container full of UNOPENED packages of air navigation charts because they were out of data, many of which were not even needed at the command.
    How much are those things worth?

10+ Year Old Account
    How much are those things worth?
    oh, I'd say it was millions of dollars worth, easy.

Deleted
    oh, I'd say it was millions of dollars worth, easy.
    That shit pisses me off, they ditch all that money then still expect most Soldiers to buy their own boots because issue ones are so shit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    I'm not sure why we sign treaties before having the senate ratify them beyond political showmanship. It is just as pointless as if the President signed all the laws he wished were law before congress even addressed them.
    From the way Republicans talk, I thought Dictator Obama did this already, except he doesn't ask Congress what they think and uses the constitution as his personal toilet paper?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    need to pay for the likes of Nellis and the stuff that they do whcih is never budgeted for, but somehow finds the funding.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that things like this won't pass is total bullshit.