Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    So grinding out content in 2 weeks and you blame WoW for not providing you more content? I think there will be a 5.5 in 3-4 months. Maybe a pre-pre-expantion patch changing the in game warchief and a few breadcrumb quests or a small-very small daily hub as we prepare for the next big baddie.
    Timeless Isle doesn't involve any grinding at all. You show up, kill a few mobs while walking around, and leave with full epics for your main and all your alts. I came back on a free week of play time, hopped on the isle with my one character for about two hours a day, and left with an almost full MS and OS of gears for my main, as well as one complete set for one alt, and several partial (5+ pieces) for 3 other alts.

That wasn't grinding, it was being handed free epics. No effort, no skill, just free epics for riding around on an island for two hours a day max.

Additionally, I was able to use said main to see every raid that had happened to that point via LFR. I even saw the first wing of SoO. There is no longevity in this game, even with not grinding. This game is officially dead unless they bring the challenge back, and not just as an option.

And this is why I don't grind myself to death every time new content is out. Not only is grinding that hard not fun... You then leave yourself with nothing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Try endless proving grounds. See if you can get past wave 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    This game is officially dead unless they bring the challenge back, and not just as an option.
    I was somewhat with you until this bit. "The Challenge" of this expansion is heroic mode raids and challenge mode dungeons. (it's even in the name) If grinding for the "not as good as a raider"'s gear was challenging in the "you really have to practice to overcome obstacles" kind of way, it would already be dead.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    This question popped into my mind today after realizing that I'm done with the Timless Isle (both in rewards and in having fun).
    Do you guys think we will get some more content between now and the next expansion? Or will this be it from the next ~10 months !?

I flex Raid once a week and I love it, but outside of that I seem to be out of fun or meaningfull things to do right now.

P.s. yes, I play other games too, but I like to have a reason to log into WoW aswell

There's far more to do in the new patch then flex my friend...but i get your point.

I ran around the isle for an hour on the first night and thought it was dumb. All I do now is park my 90s there and log them on to kill a celestial then I go back to playing alts or doing random achievements. Some people really enjoy the isle but for myself I find it very mediocre. I'd rather run the same 5 man 100 times on each alt to gear up then run around an isle hoping a rare will spawn close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I'm guessing about 8/9 months until the next expansion with 5.5 released somewhere in between in January or February.
    Expansion turn around is roughly 11 months from announcement with an expansion every 2 years.

MOP announced October 21st 2011
    MOP live servers September 25th 2012

XX announced November 8th 2013 (Assuming they announce at Blizzcon, which they will)
    XX live servers October 2014

So we've 13 months to wait. Sad but true.

I've just looked up my old guild.. it's dead. Over 200 members and only 2 people are logging in. That makes me so sad. I don't play WoW myself but there were a lot of regular players in that guild when MoP dropped. Now all gone. This next expansion needs to be the best ever. But I don't think it will be. The last patch doesn't fill me with any confidence it's going to be good enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Timeless Isle doesn't involve any grinding at all. You show up, kill a few mobs while walking around, and leave with full epics for your main and all your alts. I came back on a free week of play time, hopped on the isle with my one character for about two hours a day, and left with an almost full MS and OS of gears for my main, as well as one complete set for one alt, and several partial (5+ pieces) for 3 other alts.

That wasn't grinding, it was being handed free epics. No effort, no skill, just free epics for riding around on an island for two hours a day max.

Additionally, I was able to use said main to see every raid that had happened to that point via LFR. I even saw the first wing of SoO. There is no longevity in this game, even with not grinding. This game is officially dead unless they bring the challenge back, and not just as an option.
    If they did that, yea the game would have longevity solely based on difficulty, and then the subs would go down even further.
    "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"
    "That is the only time a man can be brave."
    -Lord Eddard Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    And patches don't come out every 3-3 1/2 months. Well, they didn't. They do now. The expansion may hit far earlier than expected.

Once I'm done with the Shao Hao reputation grind (which I'm only doing in small increments when other guild members want to join me), I'll be done with the Timeless Isle completely, at least for now. I no longer need gear for my main, I don't want to repeat the grind on my alts to get a few "extra" Timeless pieces, and I don't enjoy the frantic and overcrowded spawn camping.

I think they pushed too hard to make this the "alt patch." Before 5.4 released, they talked about how, at the ends of Wrath and Cataclysm, they saw a surge in the number of alts created and leveled. I think they tried to focus on encouraging and "easing" this process with the Timeless Isle, but it certainly leaves people who focus mostly on their mains without much to do.

I'm at the point right now where I do the world bosses and LFR on Tuesday, and then I log on for 3 raid nights a week-- two normal mode progression, one Flex. I keep having the feeling that I "should" be online more than that, but when I am, I mostly sit around on the Isle waiting for rare spawns that I don't actually care about and collecting Timeless Coins and BoA gear that I don't need.

I am happy that patches are coming out faster now. We'll have 5.5 in a few months, and hopefully that will have some more to do.
    I'd expect the next expansion somewhere around May-June 2014, giving us 9-10 months of SoO.

There's absolutely no way SoO is going to last 11 months or more.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2013-09-25 at 04:31 PM.

Epics that are 80 item levels below the best available. That's about the same difference as there is between level 85 MOP normal dungeon blues and Your timeless isle "epics". The challenge is there for those who want it in heroics. If you choose not to take the challenge you can't really then go and complain that there is no challenge or longevity. There's more to the game than Timeless isle and LFR if you want it.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2013-09-25 at 04:33 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Expansion turn around is roughly 11 months from announcement with an expansion every 2 years.

MOP announced October 21st 2011
    MOP live servers September 25th 2012

XX announced November 8th 2013 (Assuming they announce at Blizzcon, which they will)
    XX live servers October 2014

I've just looked up my old guild.. it's dead. Over 200 members and only 2 people are logging in. That makes me so sad. I don't play WoW myself but there were a lot of regular players in that guild when MoP dropped. Now all gone. This next expansion needs to be the best ever. But I don't think it will be. The last patch doesn't fill me with any confidence it's going to be good enough.
    Seeing as MOP's patch cycle has been way faster than any previous expansion it seems kind of silly to use previous expansions as a base line for this kind of thing. Just because Blizzard haven't announced the next expansion doesn't mean they aren't far along it. Wouldn't be surprised if we got an extensive demo and the beta released at Blizzcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    We'll have 5.5 in a few months, and hopefully that will have some more to do.
    If that was true, pieces would be on the PTR already.

They haven't even sorted out the connected realms yet so I don't expect to be seeing anything new for a while.

Personally, I feel pet battles havent been given the attention they could have. So much is focused on level capped pets, but I don't even have ONE pet above level 20 let alone a min-maxed group capable of pursuing these rares and such. I'm sure its fun for those that have grinded it out, but for me, I like the *grind* to be fun if the final goal isn't going to influence the strength of my character.

Deleted
    Now that people mention a possible 5.5, what was the last patch in Cataclysm about again?
    I just can't seem to remember so it must've been very little.

And I think I read somewhere that from a blue post that 5.4 was at least the last big content patch?

This question popped into my mind today after realizing that I'm done with the Timless Isle (both in rewards and in having fun).
    Do you guys think we will get some more content between now and the next expansion? Or will this be it from the next ~10 months !?

I flex Raid once a week and I love it, but outside of that I seem to be out of fun or meaningfull things to do right now.

P.s. yes, I play other games too, but I like to have a reason to log into WoW aswell
    That's really your choice. There are tons of things to do, including normal and heroic mode raiding, pet battles, pvp pet battles, a whole new PVP season, achievement farming, mount collecting, making giant piles of money on the AH, mastering all the professions, leveling alts, etc. Now, not everybody enjoys all of those things, but it's not like they don't exist. If you choose not to do any of them, then maybe you are done with WoW for now. But it's not for lack of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    If that was true, pieces would be on the PTR already.
    How do you figure? I said a few months, not a month or a couple months-- Few usually indicates 3 or 4, so I expect we'll see 5.5 in December or January. This would allow Blizzard to put it on the PTR right after Blizzcon in the event that 5.5 contains information about or related to the next expansion.

if we don't have a new expansion within 10 months that would be a catastrophe.

Deleted
    Now that people mention a possible 5.5, what was the last patch in Cataclysm about again?

And I think I read somewhere that from a blue post that 5.4 was at least the last big content patch?
    The last patch was Dragonsoul, if you can bring back the repressed memories. There was a pre-expansion event with the Theramore scenario as well but that was it and technically counted as 5.0 IIRC. But now it seems we are getting a 5.5. It'll probably be more along the lines of 5.1 and 5.3 with a few new scenarios and maybe some dynamic content.

Cataclysm was still using lengthy patch cycles, and technically the pre-patch was actually the expansion, so it was only about Deathwing. No Pandaria mention.

It was to be the last raid patch and those are the ones with the "big content" this expansion. Garrosh dropping high ilvl heirlooms even in Flex mode kinda implies there won't be any near gear in 5.5, either but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    if we don't have a new expansion within 10 months that would be a Cataclysm.
    Someone had to do it.

Timeless isle will burn you out rather fast if you grind it out. I did that with my pally to get honored in 3 days. Now he gets logged in for lfr and flex weekly and I goof around on the isle with alts.

5.5 ptr probably end of November after blizzcon and going live end of January. With 6.0 hitting in April and full on launch of xpac in may.

Just try collecting the pets that some rares drop. That ought to keep you busy for a few months. 2 weeks, one drop so far.