Poll: After reading: Do you think HotS is EXP 5?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    It wont' make sense. It's the Burning Legion, not the Burning Storm.

Twisting Nether has no storm connotation either.

People are literally implanting their desires onto this name by justifying it with "there's lightning, SO STORM!"

Blizz is never vague with their names. Even when they don't explicitly state it, it's pretty clear what's going on. Heroes of the Storm leaves no real understanding of what's going on until they tell you what is.
    Firstly I'd say Blizzard is sometimes vague with their expansion names. I mean first hearing Cataclysm was the new expansion name we didn't know what it was. Some people guessed, and got pretty close to the truth (just as people are guessing now and may well be correct.) but it wasn't obvious what it was at first. Same thing here. If this is the new expansion all will become clear once we know what it is.

Secondly there's no reason why Blizzard can't give an expansion a purely metaphorical title and I'd say that the Storm fits with the BL quite well. It is a storm coming to Azeroth, and the pre-expansion patch for BC was called the calm before the storm. So even if it was indirectly and via an old idiom, the Legion has already been referred to as the Storm. The Twisting Nether does have storm connotations, mainly Netherstorm and the Nether is filled with Arcane storms. Or as I've suggested The Storm could be a quite literal storm that's about to rip Azeroth a part if it's not stopped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Link?

They also said Pandaren stuff is usually not game related.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ard-Art-Update

if u scroll down a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

>>> Please people, read this damn article on Joystiq! <<<

Post again after you've read it!!!!!!!

The name "Heroes of the Storm" does make sense in a couple of ways as a WoW expansion. Even better said, it would make WoW's storyline stronger then ever if the speculations written by Joystiq are true.
    Last edited by Z3ROR; 2013-09-30 at 03:40 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Firstly I'd say Blizzard is sometimes vague with their expansion names. I mean first hearing Cataclysm was the new expansion name we didn't know what it was. Some people guessed, and got pretty close to the truth (just as people are guessing now and may well be correct.) but it wasn't obvious what it was at first. Same thing here. If this is the new expansion all will become clear once we know what it is.
    Cataclysm was the only one that could be considered vague and that's reaching just a bit.

The Burning Crusade - clearly about a legion invasion
    Wrath of the Lich King - clearly about the Lich King, which we knew was in Northrend
    Mists of Pandaria - clearly about going to Pandaria and asian themes

Blizzard don't exactly try to leave vague titles out for interpretation. The name has a clear connection to the themes in very straightforward ways.

In regards to the OP, you may be right, you may be wrong, but none of the tin foil hattery means much of anything. I hope you are right, because I'm itching for a legion expansion, but this just looks like a flimsy connection of dots just like every other thread like this. It's fun, but I'm not buying it just yet.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Cataclysm was the only one that could be considered vague and that's reaching just a bit.

The Burning Crusade - clearly about a legion invasion
    Wrath of the Lich King - clearly about the Lich King, which we knew was in Northrend
    Mists of Pandaria - clearly about going to Pandaria and asian themes

Blizzard don't exactly try to leave vague titles out for interpretation. The name has a clear connection to the themes in very straightforward ways.

In regards to the OP, you may be right, you may be wrong, but none of the tin foil hattery means much of anything. I hope you are right, because I'm itching for a legion expansion, but this just looks like a flimsy connection of dots just like every other thread like this. It's fun, but I'm not buying it just yet.
    Cataclysm was the only expansion name I was claiming was vague. And it's not a stretch, it only seems like that now because we've played the expansion. Just hearing that name though doesn't tell you that much about what's happening. It gives hints (just as HotS gives potential hints towards the Legion), but yeah it's pretty vague. Which means that there's a precedent for a vague expansion name, which upon the xpac's announcement will become clear. And in any case, just because Blizzard has set a trend so far, doesn't mean they can't change it.

10+ Year Old Account
    i liked 'the Dark Below' better, i would prefer the name of the expansion to encapsulate the threat not the solution, do I don't like the name to include words like 'hero' in it.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeror View Post

The name "Heroes of the Storm" does make sense in a couple of ways as a WoW expansion. Even better said, it would make WoW's storyline stronger then ever if the speculations written by Joystiq are true.
    I can't think if a single Know Your Lore speculation article that turned out to be correct.

The name itself is quite similar to Hearthstone's subtitle: 'Heroes of Warcraft'. But that's where the similarities end.
    Heroes of the Storm's trademark description specifically mentions computer game discs. Hearthstone won't have physical discs, which rules a Hearthstone expansion out. Furthermore, it is much too early for a Hearthstone expansion anyway. But the physical discs is really what gives it away. This is not for Hearthstone.
    I just want to say that just because hearthstone won't be using discs, it does not mean they won't trademark it, also to have something to use in case scumbags decide to produce discs of hearthstone and sell, for example. It can also be for completion's sake, and an "in case". People are taking the wording of what has been trademarked much too literal.

In short, we don't know anything. As usual. But keep speculating, fun to read.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Cataclysm was the only expansion name I was claiming was vague. *snip* Which means that there's a precedent for a vague expansion name
    A 25% deviation can't be used to reliably establish a precedent. A precedent isn't merely something that has happened before. It is something that happened before that will exemplify multiple, subsequent events. I'm not trying to argue with you, but I don't like people taking data and distorting it for their 'gain'.

If this expansion turns out how you think, it would be 2/5 (40%) and a much more believable determinant for the future. Obviously things can deviate in any situation, but that's not evidence to support something that has so far proven to be unlikely. That's not how statistics work. That's how speculation works.
    BAD WOLF

Even just the title "Heroes of the Storm" doesn't sound very good as an expansion name tbh. It sounds more like a smaller scale mobile game or like a card pack series.

Expansion names Blizzard has used in the past have been strong and set up the expansion before it evens happens. The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria. Heroes of the Storm doesn't really have the same "oomph" the others have had. The Dark Below fits the naming trend far better.

Can't rule anything out with Blizzard but would bet money on Dark Below being WoW and Heroes being Blizzard All-Stars or an unannounced mobile game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorise View Post
    Even just the title "Heroes of the Storm" doesn't sound very good as an expansion name tbh. It sounds more like a smaller scale mobile game or like a card pack series.

Expansion names Blizzard has used in the past have been strong and set up the expansion before it evens happens. The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria. Heroes of the Storm doesn't really have the same "oomph" the others have had. The Dark Below fits the naming trend far better.

Can't rule anything out with Blizzard but would bet money on Dark Below being WoW and Heroes being Blizzard All-Stars or an unannounced mobile game.
    What 'oomph' is there in Mists of Pandaria? People used to make fun of that as well.

Trust me, if Blizzard blew you away with an epic, glorious, action-packed and sinister announcement trailer at Blizzcon, with the words Heroes of the Storm branded onto your eyes as the trailer draws to a close in a storm of green fire, you'd find it just as awesome as the other names. We know the full weight behind past expansions, but the next one is still veiled in mystery.

Deleted
    Alright guys, I'd love if you could help me with a doubt.

- Back in Warcraft III, in order to prepare for the Invasion of the Burning Legion, we, as Arthas, went and helped ressurrecting Kel'Thuzad, so that he could summon Archimonde, the one who would ''spark the invasion''. Tichondrius, was chosen to lead the invasion as one of the main Lieutenants of the Legion. So basically we have 2 Leaders, one main Leader, Archimonde, that launches the invasion. Who exactly is going to be ''Archimonde'' and ''Tichondrius'' now? Is Kil'jaeden launching the invasion? Can he actually escape from the Twisting Nether and command the Burning Legion being there in flesh himself? We all know that the Legion is (kind of) similar to the scourge as in, without real Lieutenants / Leaders, its invasion will just crumble.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven2011 View Post
    I think it was Chris Metzen that said mop was their ideal for Warcraft 4 so they just made in to wow
    Maybe that was their original idea, but since the Horde/Alliance war got downplayed a lot I don't think they stuck with that idea. At most, 5.1 could be seen as a glimpse of the Horde/Alliance war, it's not the actual war itself imo. It's so tiny in comparison to the RTS games, it's a skirmish at best, not a full blown war.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeror View Post

It could make the storyline stronger.

But Blizz has shown time and again they drop the ball on new things that could make the game better. They'd better just stick to known things like Azshara, N'Zoth, and Kil'jaedan.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    What 'oomph' is there in Mists of Pandaria? People used to make fun of that as well.

Trust me, if Blizzard blew you away with an epic, glorious, action-packed and sinister announcement trailer at Blizzcon, with the words Heroes of the Storm branded onto your eyes as the trailer draws to a close in a storm of green fire, you'd find it just as awesome as the other names. We know the full weight behind past expansions, but the next one is still veiled in mystery.
    obviously the name is less important than the expansion and its content and the entirety of its presentation, i don't think any one can argue at that point

i know for me, the oomph of an expansion name is stronger given the implicit threat of the name, so i would rank the titles of Wrath of the lich king and Cataclysm as the most oomphy, followed by the Burning crusade, and then have Mists of Pandaria as lowest on the oomph-meter, but Heroes of the Storm is roughly about as oomphless as MoP. and certainly the dark below is oomphier than HotS.

because talking strictly about oomphiness.
    Wrath, Lich, Cataclysm, Burning are all high oomph
    Storm, King, Legion, Dark and Below are middling-oomph
    and Mists, Pandaria, Heroes, the, and of are all low oomph.

this is purely subjective and should not be taken as an attempt at an objective analysis

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    A 25% deviation can't be used to reliably establish a precedent. A precedent isn't merely something that has happened before. It is something that happened before that will exemplify multiple, subsequent events. I'm not trying to argue with you, but I don't like people taking data and distorting it for their 'gain'.

If this expansion turns out how you think, it would be 2/5 (40%) and a much more believable determinant for the future. Obviously things can deviate in any situation, but that's not evidence to support something that has so far proven to be unlikely. That's not how statistics work. That's how speculation works.
    We really don't need to bring in the exact, text book definition of a what a precedent is. Blizzard has had a vague expansion name before and could well do it again. And really there doesn't even need to be any sort of precedent for Blizzard to give an expansion a vague name. I wasn't "distorting data" I was just demonstrating that Blizzard can call their expansions whatever they like.

- - - Updated - - -

But Blizz has shown time and again they drop the ball on new things that could make the game better. They'd better just stick to known things like Azshara, N'Zoth, and Kil'jaedan.
    Which HotS could very well be.

Yes, they need to stick to known lore characters, but create new characters along the way as well. Who will we fight when everybody is dead?? But stick to the main lore characters is highly important.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post

The Vision of Velen, in which he foresees an Army of Light being formed to fight the Legion. We've just ended the war, and Garrosh, whose pride continuously infested our relationships through warmongering, has been defeated.

This all means that the trademarked name makes perfect sense, and could very likely be the next WoW expansion.

I say,
    BRING IT ON, BLIZZARD!
    The fact Sylvanas still rules is a guarantee that the fighting is not over yet.

Varian tells us in the Siege he's going after her next. Her crimes in Cataclysm are unforgivable and the Alliance aren't about to forget about that.

15+ Year Old Account
    My personal feeling is the the "Heroes" in Heroes of the Storm won't be Turalyon and Alleria. For one thing, (inb4 Cata/MoP being entirely about the Horde) both of those characters are Alliance, and it makes no sense whatsoever for them to be neutral. Half of your playerbase unable to interact with the title seems like a decision Blizzard would hesitate to make.

I've also felt that Blizzard has done a fairly good job lately of acknowledging the player in the world. People talk about you, lore characters ask for your assistance by name. Wrathion has used your influence and position of respect within your faction to shape events as he would see fit. Truly, we have become great heroes, saving Azeroth and it's citizens from threats time after time.

If they were to make a Warcraft 4, each and every player would be a hero unit, integral to the lore, and powerful in their own right.

The "Heroes" are the players, and when the storm comes, we will be "Heroes of the Storm."

10+ Year Old Account
    DONT HATE BUT
    I think that it might be something like this
    The storm is wrathion. Wrathion is not pleased with us. Black dragons take human form to manipulate us etc etc but he might have been doing this to protect az. As long as the mortal races arnt standing in his way of doing this he wont be any trouble. But it seems like we are in his way and he is not pleased. In so diologe in the game when he talks the chichi or w.e he makes it sound like there is another x pack or another type of content before the legion comes. He makes it sound like he has another plan one without him needing the mortal races.
    The heroes are us. His heroes, err more like his once heroes. put aside. We are the heroes of the storm , we were his heroes, he is the storm.

Watch this video before you say im wrong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n35Boegz-FU take everything that wrathion has done and said and make a conclusion for yourself. The guy from the video does it for you if you cant so just watch it.