• 10-15

114 14.75%
  • 15-20

67 8.67%
  • 20-25

32 4.14%
  • 25+

176 22.77%
  • Blizzard should remove 3rd party addons.

39 5.05%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgePayne View Post
    Can I ask why you feel that without addons your unable to play , I would like to get to the root of the issue.
    Because the default UI is absolutely garbage for playing at a top level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgePayne View Post
    The other night I was raiding when one of our players had a series of disconnect issues, eventually when he got back on his addon data had reset and he was unable to raid becuase his ui had set to default, his meters etc were not showing and his weak auras were not responding.
    Seriously?! I always raid in the default UI and it works just fine. You don't NEED addons to play this game. Addons only serve to make you lazy by presenting the already clearly available information more easily.

You don't need an addon that tells you to move out of the fire, that much is common sense. You don't need an addon that tells you when a boss is going into a new phase or is charging a certain ability, you can see that by watching the boss's emotes, animations or whatnot. Actually, if you just pay attention you don't need addons at all.

Deleted
    Personally I think that people who don't use any addons are bad, either they simply refuse to use any or don't know how/where to get them.

Good luck trying to any boss these days without a boss addon such as DBM or BigWigs.
    You are pretty much unable to optimize your DPS with procs as you can barely see them on the default UI.
    It's almost impossible to see your threat without a threat addon like Tidy Plates: Threat Plates.
    Some classes/specs require more buttons than the default UI is able to give you, so a bar addon is almost required.

At certain times the spam is unbearable in trade chat, an addon such as Badboy is mandatory as it blocks all the goldseller spam and most other unwanted spam.

And there are many more addons that are very useful (such as AH, Raid-frames and class/spec addons).

So yes, players are addon crazy as playing without them is handicapping yourself.
    Sure, some players can play perfectly fine without any addons, but I am sure they put way more effort into being "skilled" than needed.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You know I'll be honest if addons never existed rather if they were suddenly just ''dropped'' I'd quit all together lol

From a pvp standpoint there are a few basically required addons in gladius (or similar arena frame addon) and something like interruptbar as well as a DR tracker (pretty sure its built in to gladius now). For arenas not having these is just gimping yourself; there is no argument that can be made against it.

Outside of those I use a rune tracking addon for my dk and classtimers to see procs and such on all toons. Other than that the default does pretty much everythng for you; I dont anymore but I used to use an addon called "move anything" which allowed you to move anything in the default UI which works just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 52 addons installed (according to curse client), but could easily play with 0. Most are quality of life/nicernesses, make parts of the ui look nicer, or track banks, alts, tradeskills etc. A lot are "quick to look at" LDB for things like durability etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Seriously?! I always raid in the default UI and it works just fine. You don't NEED addons to play this game. Addons only serve to make you lazy by presenting the already clearly available information more easily.

You don't need an addon that tells you to move out of the fire, that much is common sense. You don't need an addon that tells you when a boss is going into a new phase or is charging a certain ability, you can see that by watching the boss's emotes, animations or whatnot. Actually, if you just pay attention you don't need addons at all.
    Except that the default UI absolutely does not present all the information you need in a clear fashion.

There are a few add-ons that are character specific, but here's the ones I use across the board:

bagnon
    move anything
    dbm
    sexymap
    one or 2 AH addons (auctioneer, etc)
    bartender
    atlasloot
    enchantrix
    recount
    msbt
    tidyplates

For my healing toon, I do use clique and vuhdo

If blizz let me customize my UI like SWTOR did then I would need 0 addons, but as it sits I cannot play the game they provide without addons.

Addons I use for my BrM, I could do without some of them, others I actually find important.

Weakauras
    Bigwigs (could do without, but then I wouldn't have the lovely noises it makes)
    ElvUI (could do without this easily, I just find it most aesthetically pleasing than the default UI)
    Skada (could also do without this, just faster than running live logs and opening that to check on things)
    Deathnote (best addon ever, you can't take it away from me)
    MSBT (could do without, would just turn floating text off.)
    Tidyplates
    Hermes (cuts down on mumble chatter of "DO YOU HAVE THIS?")
    Omen (more or less don't need this anymore, but I like having it anyway)

I think I run a pretty clean UI, nothing crazy. Weakauras is probably the only thing I would ever say I "need" in order to raid. Too used to the way I have it set up to track things now that I would be slightly lost without it... which is why i'm smart and back them up anytime I make a change to them so that I don't lose them if something goes wrong.

I don't think there's anything wrong with addons. People like this UI the way that they like it. If someone doesn't like the default UI, then they don't like it. If someone is so attached to their addons that they can't play without them... well, everyone can't be good at the game without some external help. Not really going to criticize them because everyone has to start somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I-NO View Post
    You know I'll be honest if addons never existed rather if they were suddenly just ''dropped'' I'd quit all together lol
    yeah, addons are an advancement dropping them all together is like regression. let the vanilla days die we arent playing int he mud anymore people
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

DBM
    Weakauras
    Atlasloot
    Petbattle addon(s)

Used to use grid and x-perl. I think some people use too many as their addon breaks and then the raid has to keep waiting for people to relog or find which one to turnoff so they can actually play. Blizzard could probably bake in weakauras, recount and other "standard" addons and keep it lite.
    Stay salty my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to have a whole lot more addons before, since wotlk I haven't really used many. Just some quality of life ones, and things like DBM.
    Some go overboard of course, needing addons for absolutely everything it seems.

I don't see the point of it, but I guess some people do. Not that I care what others do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do have a severe attachment to my arkinventory. When a major patch updates and ark isn't updated for a day or so (rarely happens) I feel sad and pretty lost in the maze that is my own storage. Other than that I use a handful, postal, atlastloot, recount, dmb, elv. I voted 10-15 because I know my curse client has at least that many downloaded, but at the moment I'm going pretty minimal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post

Boss mods are less about telling you to move out of the fire than telling you that you are standing in the fire. It isn't about telling you that a boss is casting a spell/phasing but telling you how long until he does. Though there aren't that many mechanics on boss encounters where it's very, very useful to have this information, except maybe as a tank or healer, but it can help DPS if there's a tight enrage and phases or abilities that massively increase or decrease your dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Npcscan is a pretty bullshit addon. When "camping" for a rare spawn is watching tv and just listening for your comp speakers to alert you a rare spawned that is pretty damn close to cheating.

Eh in certain cases for some classes, having Addons can be a make or break due to mechanics of the class conflicting with the default HUD. Tracking your Focus generation and spending rates on a Marksmanship Hunter who has such massive gains and losses on the standard UI where the resource bar is under the character name plate makes the spec feel like a clunky mess. Maybe not too bad on a smaller monitor but try on a 1920x1080 resolution monitor.

Or the default UI not being as in depth regarding DOT information for a Warlock to control Pandemic, much less to properly multidot for any DOT class.

I think if you can't play at all without addons then you're certainly doing something wrong but I can see where in some cases the Blizzard UI just doesn't cut it and it takes customization to make the game's interface decent. At least the Blizzard raid frames are great.

I personally don't use that many Addons. Only 3-5 at any given time. I always have bartender and DBM up, and occasionally recount. Other than those I just have a couple of fun addons like Mogit and Atlasloot. The reason I use Bartender is because I HATE the standard UI Actionbars for WoW. I could do without DBM (Mainly because I actually research fights), but I just use it as a reminder. Recount only when I'm trying out a new rotation just to compare numbers, and it's usually only on dummies.

To OP: I don't think Addons are a bad thing, but when people are turned away from raids or RBGs just because they don't have an addon that common-sense would otherwise compensate for, I think it's a little silly.

Deleted
    Got about 70-80 addons. Wouldn't be able to play without them. Beginning at the mailing system, better inventory overview, auction house addons, rare tracker and more up to the raid oriented addons like raidwide cooldown trackers, combat logs, damage meters, marking bars, bossmods etc. etc.
    If they would ban addons (no way in hell they would though) I would probably stop playing tbh. ^_^

the problem is when blizzard creates stuff that demands players to use addons (stupid priest's halo, im looking at you.)