10+ Year Old Account

DOTA2 Player Looking For Advice On Starting LoL

So I've been playing DOTA2 for a while now (I have 1000+ hours). However most of the people I know play LoL so I wanted to pick it up so that I could play with them in addition to playing DOTA2.

Are there any general tips you could give me about the game and the things I would have to take note of in LoL that I wouldn't have to in DOTA?
    Are there any good written or video guides that give a complete guide to the game? Also are there any youtube channels that show games and then commentate on the (competitive or otherwise) such as Purge or JoinDOTA in the case of DOTA.

I much prefer playing support in MOBA games. So what are some good support champions I could try out? In DOTA I like CM, Naga, Windrunner, Chen and Enchantress. I don't know how comparable these are to LoL champs. I take it like DOTA as a support you are expected to not last hit and give all the gold to your carrys?
    I did google what some good supports were for a new player and Sona kept popping up, how good is she?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I might think of other questions later.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2013-10-05 at 07:27 PM.

Good supports to learn to play with are Soraka, Taric and Sona.
    Soraka has the ability to restore mana to allies and her ult heals ALL your teammates regardless of their distance to you. The mana ability can also be used to silence enemies.
    Taric gives a passive armor bonus to nearby allies and his heal also heals himself every time you use it (and +40% bonus if you use it on yourself). He also has a stun and his ult buffs nearby allies.
    Sona's ultimate is a skillshot stun, all her abilities give some sort of aoe buff to your allies, she has a heal and her passive gives different effects based on what spell you used most recently.

All of these have heals which makes it easy to start with, but Taric is my favourite since his stun is an on-click (no skillshot) and he's very tanky (passive armor to himself and allies in range).
    Soraka is also somewhat tankier since her heal also gives a temporary armor buff to the target.
    Sona is very squishy. She has some of the lowest base defensive stats and should be carefull to not get bursted down by staying a bit in the back of teamfights. She is however very powerfull due to her passive. Her passive has an added effect on your basic attacks depending on which spell you used last. Her Q adds more damage to basic attack (very good for poke), her W reduces enemy damage by a decent percentage and her E slows the enemy that she hits.

Note: Soraka isn't very popular because she doesn't have CC (stun, root, slow) except for her silence. She is good if you aren't going for kills in botlane and just want to farm (the ADC pretty much decides how aggressive the lane is).
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Solomid.net is a great website to find things out. If you're coming from DOTA 2 then you already know how a MOBA works, all you need to do is get used to the way LoL feels and learn builds and then figure things out when situations arise. Your learning curve will be much easier than most.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    With 1000 hours in another Moba, I don't think you'll have a problem picking up league - my best advice would be more around the fact that as you're already an experienced gamer, play PvP matches to level, not bot matches, try out the free champions each week and remember that you need to buy runes (unlike DOTA) which take up a large chunk of IP - from level 20 ideally (you can buy the strongest runes in the game at level 20, so it's worth waiting until then and just getting those, rather than buying lower level ones). So don't go crazy on spending IP on champions and then end up without any runes at level 30.

As a support you're expected not to last hit but you still get a decent gold income because you'll be taking support masteries, gp5 runes and gp5 items. You'll also find you're expected to ward a lot, keep control of bot lanes vision early game, and late game help with vision across the map. You'll be wanting to keep timers and awareness of dragon and you are the most important thing in getting your adc fed in lane so they can dominate in team fights.

I'd recommend looking at Thresh, Sona, Blitzcrank, Zyra, Lulu, Janna, Leona... and seeing which of those fits your playstyle, but those are, in my opinion, the strong supports to look at right now. If you want an "easy" support to learn the game, it would probably be Soraka.. but with your hours already in a moba, skillshots or a complicated hero are probably fine for you
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2013-10-05 at 06:26 PM.

Deleted
    Here's a word of advice

Don't

infracted
    Last edited by Isrozzis; 2013-10-05 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasen Ibaraki View Post
    Here's a word of advice

Don't
    This ^ it has the worst community ever, regardless if you win or lose a game you will be frustrated and annoyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well so far I've played a vs ai match with my mate as Soraka which was ok. I don't know if she's my cup of tea, and I usually like support with her skills sets.
    Following your advice on playing a PvP match I joined one and played Zyra. It was a fun match and I was quite happy with how I supported and Zyra. Her seed mechanic is really neat and I picked up on that straight away and to good effect. Seed + Snare seemed to work well. I don't think many people in that bracket were expecting wards either especially in the bush.

I still prefer DOTA but at the very least I know I can play with my mates without being bored.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    This ^ it has the worst community ever, regardless if you win or lose a game you will be frustrated and annoyed.
    I've played enough DOTA and been through enough LFR and LFD dungeon queues in WoW to just not care about idiots who whine at others all day in game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Well so far I've played a vs ai match with my mate as Soraka which was ok. I don't know if she's my cup of tea, and I usually like support with her skills sets.
    Following your advice on playing a PvP match I joined one and played Zyra. It was a fun match and I was quite happy with how I supported and Zyra. Her seed mechanic is really neat and I picked up on that straight away and to good effect. Seed + Snare seemed to work well. I don't think many people in that bracket were expecting wards either especially in the bush.
    Zyra is a great support right now, I'm playing her a lot - love her. She has crazy early game damage, the root is nice, the aoe ultimate is great, her seeds are fun, her passive 20% cooldown reduction on maxed w frees you up from buying a hefty cdr item (meaning you can either go for some extra defense, offense or speed on your boots instead of cdr) and she can very effectively build a hybrid support / ap build or can be turned into a secondary ap carry late game. If you ever get stuck going mid (or fancy trying it), you can build her full offensive AP and take a solo lane.

This is the Zyra guide I used when I bought her http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=...ra-build-guide

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    I much prefer playing support in MOBA games. So what are some good support champions I could try out? In DOTA I like CM, Naga, Windrunner, Chen and Enchantress.
    Closest thing I can think of are Lux and Zyra, maybe Leona. Expect to have way less to do though.

Things you need to take note of in LoL is that everyone and their mother has escapes and towers hurt like hell. You also can't orbwalk or cast spells without drawing aggro so prepare to get owned if you dive.
    Other than that, just dodge skillshots and win games.

I switched and it was extremly hard for me. So brace yourself for some hard time