10+ Year Old Account
    Your busted argument was begging for it.

Newsflash: Insurance companies are regulated because insurance companies need regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    I didn't tell anyone to shut up. I politely asked him to stick to the topic at hand. I'm not interested in seeing people twist their way through meaningless comparisons.
    This is the obamacare mega thread he is on topic

And if I only payed for the road that I drove on, my taxes would be a lot lower.
    Such a bad comparison lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're asking if there are minimum requirements, then yes. No ones disputing that.
    Which exclude preventative care, access to emergency care and rate review on premiums.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

And if I only payed for the road that I drove on, my taxes would be a lot lower.
    Right, because taxes and public services are totally the same as private enterprise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I looked at the website in my area and catastrophic was around 180 bucks, now if I could drop mental health maternity and pediatrics I could payless or get things I might actually use.
    And you shouldn't be able to drop those.

You need mental health coverage for the same reason as everything else. You also need maternity and pediatric coverage, as a single dude, because you don't always STAY single, or even if you do you don't always stay a non-parent.

If you want to pay for the services you need, as you need them, just don't get insurance. Pay your fine, and risk going bankrupt if your medical bills outstrip your capacity to pay them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Such a bad comparison lol.
    I'm complaining about paying for something that I never use. Isn't that what you're complaining about?

10+ Year Old Account
    I looked at the website in my area and catastrophic was around 180 bucks, now if I could drop mental health maternity and pediatrics I could payless or get things I might actually use.
    How much does maternity and pediatrics add to your insurance? Your insurance fees are not adjusted based on what you use.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epidemica View Post
    Right, because taxes and public services are totally the same as private enterprise.
    No. They're not the same. But since a public law was created to regulate the private enterprise, I suppose they're not all that different.

I'm complaining about paying for something that I never use. Isn't that what you're complaining about?
    Since when is protecting private industry from business losses the same thing as public services like roads and bridges?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    How much does maternity and pediatrics add to your insurance? Your insurance fees are not adjusted based on what you use.
    Pennies on the dollar. If even that much. Eliminating maternity and pediatrics would cause a $180 plan be reduced to $170 at most. (this is well informed estimate)

10+ Year Old Account
    The healthcare is still provided by private enterprise, there is no public healthcare option.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    The healthcare is still provided by private enterprise, there is no public healthcare option.
    If there was, comparing it to roads and bridges would be a fair comparison. But, there isn't, so it's not.

Taxes =/= insurance premiums

Pediactrics usually deal with 18 and under.
    Would being covered for that, extend to your child, in the case of a single father.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, how bad is the fine? $95 bucks? Just don't get insurance and pay the fine.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

If there was, comparing it to roads and bridges would be a fair comparison. But, there isn't, so it's not.

Haven't you heard? Obamacare is a tax. The biggest one in history I might add

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Yeah, how bad is the fine? $95 bucks? Just don't get insurance and pay the fine.
    You don't have to pay the tax if you don't overpay and get a tax refund owed to you. So if you adjust your withholding at your employer you can avoid the tax since the wording in the law says it can only be deducted from IRS refund funds.

10+ Year Old Account

Complaining about paying for something that you don't use = complaining about paying for something that you don't use.

10+ Year Old Account

That's not true, because before ACA we subsidize the most expensive insurance clients through Medicare. We also provide a 1:1.4 tax credit for every dollar spent on insurance to employers who provide employees insurance. 17% of GDP goes to healthcare... If these things didn't exist, your insurance prices would sky rocket...

- - - Updated - - -

Medicare and Social Security are the biggest road projects ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And you shouldn't be able to drop those.

You need mental health coverage for the same reason as everything else. You also need maternity and pediatric coverage, as a single dude, because you don't always STAY single, or even if you do you don't always stay a non-parent.
    I will never have children and I will never adopt them.
    My spouse has no children either.
    I will never in my life have children, mine or someone else's, yet I need pediatric care and maternity.
    So thanks for telling me what you think I need but you are wrong.