Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Open Areas With No Mobs/Quests

It'd be nice to have some areas here and there that are just for scenery/immersion purposes. Maybe a rare or two, gathering nodes, fishing spots, friendly creatures. I just want to sometimes be able to ride through a field or a forest and not have to dodge enemies or be running away from things making the same threat noise every 30 feet. In WoW, it seems like every square foot of the game something just wants to kill you. Thats not realistic or immersive really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thezeldadoth View Post
    In WoW, it seems like every square foot of the game something just wants to kill you. Thats not realistic or immersive really.
    So, a realistic adventuring world is a world vacant of wild life?... I don't follow that logic..

For me, the ultimate immersive experience in WoW was Duskwood at night during Vanilla (with the darker atmosphere in the zone) leveling as a newbie and doing my best to stick to the main road and avoid beasts lurking in the dark and every now and then adventuring outside a lighted road and finding out what was there in the wild... THAT was immersion.
    Last edited by Azgraal; 2013-10-08 at 12:15 AM.

moonglade maybe?

I go hiking A LOT, not once has an animal tried to maul me whether on a trail or blazing a trail. I agree with the OP.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    go hiking irl if you wanna view beautiful scenery

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I go hiking A LOT, not once has an animal tried to maul me whether on a trail or blazing a trail. I agree with the OP.
    Animals that actively flee from the player would be nice in a zone like that. Something peaceful, until the player comes in and interrupts untouched nature.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love a zone like that too tbh. Just huge zone(bigger than anything so far) with only a few NPC's in a town at the entrance of the zone, and rares in specific zones, maybe some rares patroling. But ofc being rare means they won't always be there waiting for you to make a wrong move. The only quests are those that require you to go looking for lost people and stuff. Maybe have an area with an enemy village and a few caves full of beasts or mysterious creatures, and have quests to explore these caves to investigate disappearances or strange noises.

It'd be nice to have some areas here and there that are just for scenery/immersion purposes. Maybe a rare or two, gathering nodes, fishing spots, friendly creatures. I just want to sometimes be able to ride through a field or a forest and not have to dodge enemies or be running away from things making the same threat noise every 30 feet. In WoW, it seems like every square foot of the game something just wants to kill you. Thats not realistic or immersive really.
    Head to the area above Wetlands, heading towards Ironforge.

Vast open areas with nothing except a little village of dwarves.

Fly to those floating rocks in Nagrand. You can't take a hike there, but it's cool to sit and burn away valuable life time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    So, a realistic adventuring world is a world vacant of wild life?... I don't follow that logic..

For me, the ultimate immersive experience in WoW was Duskwood at night during Vanilla (with the darker atmosphere in the zone) leveling as a newbie and doing my best to stick to the main road and avoid beasts lurking in the dark and every now and then adventuring outside a lighted road and finding out what was there in the wild... THAT was immersion.
    I miss stitches. No fun things like that left anymore.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

I think the entire world in general needs to be less packed with mobs, but definitely some zones more than others. I really don't think you need mobs packed so tight you can't walk 5 feet without running into one, but granted not all zones are like that. I think areas where it makes sense like villages etc... are fine. I think more realistic mob density lends itself to exploration more. Currently though there really isn't much reason to explore. If the whole world was like the timeless isle only much more spread out, and there were actually reasons to search out all the little nooks, it would make for more interesting experience. I don't however feel you need an empty zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    I would love a zone like that too tbh. Just huge zone(bigger than anything so far) with only a few NPC's in a town at the entrance of the zone, and rares in specific zones, maybe some rares patroling. But ofc being rare means they won't always be there waiting for you to make a wrong move. The only quests are those that require you to go looking for lost people and stuff. Maybe have an area with an enemy village and a few caves full of beasts or mysterious creatures, and have quests to explore these caves to investigate disappearances or strange noises.
    Exactly, something like this. Leveling would feel more like adventuring if you could peacefully enjoy your trek across the countryside once in a while with just ambient noises and the zone music. When I want to ride somewhere in a hurry I spend more time dodging enemies rather than enjoying the scenery.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Basically Skyrim meets World of Warcraft then :P
    I'll admit I enjoy travelling through wonderful worlds where not everything is trying to kill me. That being said I imagine gaining XP would be difficult in a zone with barely anything in it which goes against Blizzard's "gameplay over immersion" mindset that they seem to have trouble shaking off.
    Butts.

Basically Skyrim meets World of Warcraft then :P
    I think thats part of the appeal of Skyrim in that you have time to breathe a little and enjoy the area around you. I think blizzard is forgetting what makes RPG's enjoyable. They need to spend more time improving the game immersion rather than thinking up more convenience systems. The game feels more like an interconnected web of systems designed to get you gear rather than a game that puts you in a fantasy world with other people.

If no huge areas devoid of enemies, at least lower the density of mobs. I know this is problematic on high populated servers when new expac comes out and nobody can kill anything.

There are heaps of place like this out there. Go out and explore and find them. Why do you need Blizzard to tell you to go to an exact area to enjoy them.

Deleted
    I think thats part of the appeal of Skyrim in that you have time to breathe a little and enjoy the area around you. I think blizzard is forgetting what makes RPG's enjoyable. They need to spend more time improving the game immersion rather than thinking up more convenience systems. The game feels more like an interconnected web of systems designed to get you gear rather than a game that puts you in a fantasy world with other people.

If no huge areas devoid of enemies, at least lower the density of mobs. I know this is problematic on high populated servers when new expac comes out and nobody can kill anything.
    I'm sorry but you're a part of an extremely small minority, and your way won't make blizzard any money.

Gilneas is that way, currently. I find myself in that zone a lot in between queues. The music, weather, and lack of things around is quite relaxing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Travio View Post
    Animals that actively flee from the player would be nice in a zone like that. Something peaceful, until the player comes in and interrupts untouched nature.
    Wouldnt pandaria as a whole be an example of that?

The Barrens used to be like that. Then they turned it into a battlefield...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phasma View Post
    The Barrens used to be like that. Then they turned it into a battlefield...
    As this guy said, old barrens is a perfect example of what you guys are talking about.

And old barrens was fucking awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin