Poll: Thoughts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    EVERYONE IN HERE WHO SAYS STAT SQUISH IS NOT NEEDED IS PATENTLY INCORRECT. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING AND CORRECT YOUR FLAWED KNOWLEDGE OF HOW THINGS WORK.

Let me tell you something about how 32bit and 64 bit systems work. They are defined by a max number of integers. In this case, the number that defines 32 bit systems is 2,147,483,647. You see, that's 2 billion and some change. 64 operates at a much higher number, but not everyone has 64 bit systems.

What this means is that the maximum health for a boss in the game is around that 2.1 billion mark. Heroic Garrosh had 1.8 billion, and heals enough times to get to around ~8 Billion health on 25 man. It is basically impossible for Blizzard to maintain a fluid experience under the current system, and a squish is ABSOLUTELY necessary based on the simple computational mathematics, and the limits of 32 bit systems.

Please do not try to pass off opinion as fact any more without doing research.

Thanks!
    Actually you should do your own research 64 bit and 32 bit numbers in code have zero to do with 32 bit and 64 bit CPU's. The truth of the matter is it's all code a 32 bit program can and will use 64 bit variables if the compiler it's based on supports the ability it does this by simply breaking the 64 bit number down into multiple 32 bit numbers for storage and retrieval. Using this method it is possible to create any bit number you could ever desire. The only consideration is that it is far more efficient to compile 64 bit integers on a 64 bit platform than to convert 64 bit parameters into 32 bit for use on 32 bit platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    It still boggles my mind how this can upset some people. Everything else, including all the mobs will be scaled down as well. It seems to me, these individuals would be happy if their salaries suddenly were increased tenfold, but prices on everything would have been increased tenfold as well.
    Sure, it may not be perfect and will probably need some (maybe quite a bit) tweaking down the road, but as far as the "we are gonna be weaker" argument goes, it doesn't stand a chance.
    Oh here we go again. You clearly don't know what a squish will actually do so please stop posting nonsense like this. A squish will not just reduce everything by a certain percentage...

Quote Originally Posted by Kozaky View Post
    That's quite possibly the worst way to handle a squish ever.
    Ever.
    Level 90 - 500k hp... mobs have health to that scale
    Level 91 - 10k HP... mobs have health to that scale as well as well as raid bosses.
    The level 90 can now 1 shot literally everyone higher level than them as well as the mobs and dungeon/raid bosses.
    Let me explain more then, every number would be cut by 1k, so a mob hitting you for 24k now would hit you for 24damage.

Basically, it's just dividing every number by 1000 in the game, so it looks like you do 300 dps instead of 300 000, but you're actually doing 300 000 dps and the mob actually has 400k hp.

I am pretty sure that's how they will do it. They said you won't feel a single thing in how fast you kill mobs, For exemple, with this change, Ragnaros from MC days will have 1000hp instead of 1mil

So basically, it's the megadamage solution, but instead of writing 300k dps you just see 300 dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Pre squish: It takes you 25 seconds to kill Mob A
    Post squish: It takes you 25 seconds to kill Mob A

How does the squish make you weaker other than you somehow perceiving "big numbers make strong!"

The squish changes nothing. NOOOOOOOOTHIIIIIIIING!!!! Other than the perception that "big numbers make strong."

Sort of like this poll. If it were presented without bias against the stat squish, you'd likely have different results, but the way the options are presented, it artificially creates bias in opposition to the squish.
    Wrong. The squish will turn the exponential curve that stats follow into a linear one. Which means that a lvl 90 will become relatively weaker against a lvl 80 mob after the squish.

Quote Originally Posted by Marfrilau View Post
    Oh here we go again. You clearly don't know what a squish will actually do so please stop posting nonsense like this. A squish will not just reduce everything by a certain percentage...
    It will, in fact, reduce or, if you prefer a different term, "squish" everything by a certain percentage. It won't be the same across the board, but that's the idea.

I'm glad you know exactly what I do or do not know, however. Knowledge is power.

P.S. In case it might have looked like it (I don't know why it would because I never even came close to touching upon that, but w/e), I'm not arguing against that some mobs will be tougher to kill than before. I don't know, 10% tougher. Those generic boars in Hellfire Peninsula still wouldn't scare me nor would it upset me that I am slightly weaker than before, when compared to the boars or Kael'thas.
    Last edited by Creotor; 2013-10-15 at 09:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyen View Post
    Let me explain more then, every number would be cut by 1k, so a mob hitting you for 24k now would hit you for 24damage.

Basically, it's just dividing every number by 1000 in the game, so it looks like you do 300 dps instead of 300 000, but you're actually doing 300 000 dps and the mob actually has 400k hp.

I am pretty sure that's how they will do it. They said you won't feel a single thing in how fast you kill mobs, For exemple, with this change, Ragnaros from MC days will have 1000hp instead of 1mil

So basically, it's the megadamage solution, but instead of writing 300k dps you just see 300 dps.

1. That is the Megadamage solution .

2.IS not the Squish solution .

3. Of course in the Megadamage solution you are not nerfed .

4. Unfortunately in the Squish solution you are .

5. Squish is not Megadamage .

Deleted
    The only thing I want to remain is the very high expontential scaling we have in the game right now. I got a shoulder upgrade from the Garrosh token tonight and that's a ~7% increase for me since it gives me a set bonus. Without it, it still would've been a 3% increase due to it having crit and being 26 ilvls higher and I love that one new good upgrade actually is a visible increase. If we go back to the TBC era, you didn't notice shit even if you got 3 good non-weapon/trinket upgrades.

But do I care if I do 400k dps or 20k? Absolutely not, as long as gear still matters as much as it does now.

I still want to be able to solo old raids, but item squish > soloing old raids in priority for me.

Harder old raids would actually be more fun since they can be slightly challenging again. Remember Naxx back in TBC? Yeah, that was fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not like the idea to lose power, even if it will take the same time to kill a mob. But the idea of the item level reduction grows on me further we go with insane health pool and damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyen View Post

They have been talking specifically about a squish, not a reduction. A squish reduces the gap between the numbers, which means that the very low numbers are mostly unchanged, but the higher numbers change a lot.

Deleted
    "I hate this! You think so too?" No. "WHAAAAT?".
    Seriously... You think some monkey is stronger than someone like Blackhand and whatever just because the game numbers say so?
    Get some knowledge about lore if you feel sorry about your character...

People raging about the squish have no idea how basic math works.

I agree, I don't even understand why people would get mad about it. Its probably going to happen, and everyone will forget about it anyway because it will change nothing but numbers.

Maybe some weird scaling thing does happen, who gives a shit. You still are tougher than other mobs, you will still kill lower level mobs fast (Don't know why that matters so much to you guys but apparently it does.) Blizzard WANTS to do this and its going to happen, out of all the things Blizzard has attempted to do or has done you all are getting upset about this?

pathetic.
    Last edited by StrayFox; 2013-10-15 at 09:55 PM.

Wrong. The squish will turn the exponential curve that stats follow into a linear one. Which means that a lvl 90 will become relatively weaker against a lvl 80 mob after the squish.
    Except they've specifically said they would be adjusting across the board to prevent that from happening. You're suggesting that as you level, you will get progressively weaker? Where is that concept coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    It will, in fact, reduce or, if you prefer a different term, "squish" everything by a certain percentage. It won't be the same across the board, but that's the idea.

I'm glad you know exactly what I do or do not know, however. Knowledge is power.
    Whether they use the same percentage across the board makes a big difference. If they use the same percentage it is called the mega damage solution. If it's not the same percentage it is called the squish. The first will not affect relative power between a lvl 90 and a lvl 80. The squish will have a big impact.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayFox View Post
    Winning an argument on these forums and the internet in general is like running in a circle.

You're not going anywhere and its pointless trying. :\
    "I think I'm finally getting somewhere, Brain!" - Pinky, while running on a hamster wheel.

Deleted
    Actually is exactly the other way.

The people raging about the squish are the one understanding the consequences of changing a geometrical progresion in a linear one .

The ones for the squish have no idea what does this mean . They keep coming with the Megadamage solution and explaining how Megadamage won't change nothing . Ofc , but Squish is not Megadamage . And it will nerf you.

I can bet you have no ideea what am I talking about . I can bet "geometric progression" and "linear progresion" are just strange words to you .

Squish players by 30%, squish all mobs stats by 30%
    That's not a Squish. Is the Megadamage solution.
    Last edited by mmoc1e4c5b7903; 2013-10-15 at 10:03 PM.

Whether they use the same percentage across the board makes a big difference. If they use the same percentage it is called the mega damage solution. If it's not the same percentage it is called the squish. The first will not affect relative power between a lvl 90 and a lvl 80. The squish will have a big impact.
    Squish players by 30%, squish all mobs stats by 30%

Isn't that across the board, but squish instead of using mega damage? (The mega damage solution seemed silly to me. "I didn't do 30K, I did 30 MEGA DAMAGE!" "How much mega damage did you do last fight? Man, my best MEGA DAMAGE was...." Just seems silly)

very poorly worded pool. Item squish is needed, wow is horribly off balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Except they've specifically said they would be adjusting across the board to prevent that from happening. You're suggesting that as you level, you will get progressively weaker? Where is that concept coming from?
    I have not stated that you will get weaker as you level. I have said that after the squish you will become relatively weaker against a mob 10 lvls under you than you were before. You will ofc still be more powerful than said mob.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weaker is a relative thing. If the rest of the world gets weaker as well then the word is meaningless and not well defined. Strength and weakness in gaming are usually defined against the game not simply as raw numbers.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."