Poll: Thoughts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    OMG, it will take me 3 GCD's to kill a player 10 levels lower than me instead of 2. OMG. STOP THE ITEM SQUISH!!
    Actually post item squish the gap between say 70 and 80 or 80 and 90 will end up being similar to the gap between a level 20 and 30 or 40 and 50 today, that is, lower level players will stand a much better chance at killing higher level players all the way up to the level cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel uneasy about it. I don't care about numbers, really, because I know they're relative. I'm just concerned solo content will be affected. People have repeatedly said it won't be affected at all, but I'll believe that when I see it. You can only scale things down so far.
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2013-10-15 at 08:36 PM.
    Look! Words!

Deleted
    Logically ilvl squish makes sense, but that won't remove the fact that it will feel weird. I think I'll adjust quickly, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevkul View Post
    First part is right, second is wrong. The level 90 will still be 20x stronger. The relative increases in character power between expansions won't change.
    What? Yes they will... that's the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Yes, I understand percentages. What you're failing to grasp is a 15% nerf to everything doesn't leave everything the same as it is now because of relative power. They have specifically said a squish will only happen if they can make everything exactly the same as it is now and a 15% nerf across the board will not do that.
    Okay, let's do it. Real numbers.

Boss has 450k health. A player has two abilities, one does 100k and one does 50k and they alternate.

1. 100k hit, boss at 350k
    2. 50k hit, boss at 300k
    3. 100k hit, boss at 200k
    4. 50k hit, boss at 150k
    5. 100k hit, boss at 50k
    6. 50k hit, boss dead

Now, scale down by 20% (multiply everything by .8). Boss has 360k. Spells now hit for 80k and 40k.

1. Hit for 80k, boss at 280k.
    2. Hit for 40k, boss at 240k.
    3. Hit for 80k, boss at 160k.
    4. Hit for 40k, boss at 120k.
    5. Hit for 80k, boss at 40k.
    6. Hit for 40k, boss dead.

See? It all scales together. Percentages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prefer getting weaker? What? The item squish will not lead to any changes in relative power...the expansion does that on its own, and it will only make our characters stronger. Not sure some people understand what the item squish actually is...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    Your first mistake is you are applying random numbers to a graph. Thats stupid. Take out a protractor and make it to scale using the graph. The change from level 70 to level 90 is not 20 times larger. Learn to read a graph before applying information to a graph. And no i am not nit picking. Don't pull random numbers out of your ass to justify why someone else is wrong.

And again, since you find this soooooooo hard to understand. The hastily thrown together graph also applies to mobs. The entire curve is changing, The relative position of the graph sames the same because you don't seem to understand that a hastily thrown together graph used to visualize a 10th grade concept is a hastily thrown together graph. When the squish takes places, level 0 - 70 content is being squished too or else its not a squish. Do you simply refuse to acknowledge this or are you are assuming that blizzard are going to mess it up?

If you are against it because you believe that blizzard is going to mess it up that is one thing and it is completely reasonable. If you are against it because you reject math because it does not conform to your reality, that is a major issue that you need to get checked out.
    Black Pearl is correct and you are wrong. It is not a % scale down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Actually post item squish the gap between say 70 and 80 or 80 and 90 will end up being similar to the gap between a level 20 and 30 or 40 and 50 today, that is, lower level players will stand a much better chance at killing higher level players all the way up to the level cap.
    Unless you had trouble killing level 60s in Wrath, there isn't much to worry about.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    Okay, let's do it. Real numbers.

Boss has 450k health. A player has two abilities, one does 100k and one does 50k and they alternate.

1. 100k hit, boss at 350k
    2. 50k hit, boss at 300k
    3. 100k hit, boss at 200k
    4. 50k hit, boss at 150k
    5. 100k hit, boss at 50k
    6. 50k hit, boss dead

Now, scale down by 20% (multiply everything by .8). Boss has 360k. Spells now hit for 80k and 40k.

1. Hit for 80k, boss at 280k.
    2. Hit for 40k, boss at 240k.
    3. Hit for 80k, boss at 160k.
    4. Hit for 40k, boss at 120k.
    5. Hit for 80k, boss at 40k.
    6. Hit for 40k, boss dead.

See? It all scales together. Percentages.
    That's "MEGA DAMAGE" not an item level squish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I'm going to miss having in excess of a million HP as a tank, or dealing out 500-600K crits, but I understand the need for the Squish to occur. My only hope is that they stagger and scale the squish in such a way that old content remains soloable.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Unless you had trouble killing level 60s in Wrath, there isn't much to worry about.
    What's your point?

In wrath a level 60 would be wearing level 60-80-ish gear and a level 80 would have been wearing gear with 200 extra ilevels of stats.

Post squish, the level 80 will lose almost all of that advantage. Back in vanilla it wouldn't be uncommon to be able to kill players with 10-15 level advantages on you if you knew what you were doing and they didn't.

What? Yes they will... that's the whole point.
    It won't affect relative power increases outside of end game raid gear. Which no one cares about.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

It won't affect relative power increases outside of end game raid gear. Which no one cares about.
    Apparently a lot of people care about it and a lot of people care enough about it to make 500 word essays about it yet still be wrong about its implications.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    Don't make a random (wrong) statement and just assume that everybody understands. Enlighten me. What am i not understanding? How is the fact that that graph applies to players and monsters / npcs translate to a net nerf for players?
    Because both are not being changed by a specific percentage both are being adjusted differently. If they were doing this as a straight percentage drop then they could only drop numbers by about 50% and level 1s would have 1 health. Its a scaling drop, so the higher your level the bigger drop will be for you.

If our numbers are truly getting to big for Blizzards computers to handle then why did blizzard add the new RPPM trinkets which only adds to the computations being done? No one likes them and they are a nightmare for both guilds and theorycrafters.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

15+ Year Old Account
    Of course it will be sad when we see smaller numbers, however it won't matter at all if the time to kill something doesn't change.

What's your point?

In wrath a level 60 would be wearing level 60-80-ish gear and a level 80 would have been wearing gear with 200 extra ilevels of stats.

Post squish, the level 80 will lose almost all of that advantage. Back in vanilla it wouldn't be uncommon to be able to kill players with 10-15 level advantages on you if you knew what you were doing and they didn't.
    What you don't understand is that we might end up with Wrath-era ilvls. Which were fine for killing level 60s. But then also factor in that the level 60s will also get squished and the result is that there is no change.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

It's amazing how so many pro squish ppl are still arguing for it when they are actually arguing for the "MEGA DAMAGE" solution. Again. Reducing all numbers by 90% is NOT the squish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could honestly care less. The proportion of power will still be the same.

Example: If I take out 1/3rd of a creatures health in a hit. I will still do the same, after the squish.

However it will be less 500,000 hit!

And likely more 5000 hit!

The mobs health will be 1500000! Down to 15000!.

Same for everything else. There is literally nothing changing except your brains addiction to large numbers might need some late night counselling to adjust.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

That's "MEGA DAMAGE" not an item level squish.
    Mega damage is artificially shortening numbers by adding 'k' or 'm' or 'b' as suffixes. What this person described is a squish.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Deleted
    While I understand that functionally nothing will change with an item squish, I do think it is more aesthetic and pleasing to the eye when stats on gear don't go into the thousands.

My personal preference would be a projection of about 1000 what is now 1000000 (thats a 0.001 factor at lvl 90), which if I am correct, would mean the next expansion will have similar numbers as the burning crusade had.