Possible to calculate speed with these numbers?

So I don't have a radar gun to find out how fast I'm throwing and it's been a couple years since I was last under the gun.

I suck at math to say the least so I'm not even sure if it's possible to find the speed of the baseball but here's the numbers.

The ball traveled 29 feet.
    My camera records in 30 frames per second and took 9 frames to hit the net.

So I'm assuming you could find the amount of time that it took the ball to go from my hand to the net and then take that amount of time and figure out how many feet per second that is, then figure out the speed in MPH after that?

From that information is it possible to figure out the speed in MPH?

I hate math

10+ Year Old Account
    9 frames at 30fps = 0.3 seconds

29 feet in 0.3 seconds = 96.6~ feet per second = 65.91 miles per hour

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Should be an average speed of ~65.90 mph.

I can understand hating math... But this...

10+ Year Old Account
    Math isn't my strongest but i'll take a shot at it
    Hmm..29 feet, 9 frames..carry the 1..move the decimal place..divide by 3
    I come up with about $37?

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    9 frames at 30fps = 0.3 seconds

29 feet in 0.3 seconds = 96.6~ feet per second = 65.91 miles per hour
    Well shit, losing 50 lbs of fat slowed me down ~12 mph. Huh. Well that's sad. haha well thank you Masark

Edit: and others!
    Last edited by QwertySham; 2013-10-24 at 11:01 PM.

Yup, 65.91 mph. 1/187.07 miles per 0.3 seconds (which you can get by dividing 29 feet into the 5280 feet in a mile, and by dividing 9 by the 30 frames/second respectively) is .0183 miles/second (divide both by 0.3), which is 1.098 miles/min (multiply by 60 seconds/min), which is 65.91 mph (multiply by 60 min/hour).

Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    I can understand hating math... But this...
    Let's just say I didn't care to pay attention in math during High School or much of Middle School for that matter. Didn't/don't plan on pursuing a career that involves math so I regretfully didn't pay much attention.

- - - Updated - - -

~66 is sad. I threw faster my freshman year of HS and I'm now in my 2nd year of college. Maybe I picked a lazy pitch to pick as my test. Time for round 2...

9 frames to hit the net means between 8 and nine intervals. Each interval is 1/30 of a second. Estimating 8.5 intervals, time taken is 8.5/30 = 0.283 s.
    Speed = distance / time = 29*30/8.5 = 102.35 feet/s

1 mile = 5280 feet and one hour = 3600 seconds.
    So mph = fps * 3600/5280 = 102.5*3600/5280 = approximately 69.77 mph.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by QwertySham View Post
    Let's just say I didn't care to pay attention in math during High School or much of Middle School for that matter. Didn't/don't plan on pursuing a career that involves math so I regretfully didn't pay much attention.

- - - Updated - - -

~66 is sad. I threw faster my freshman year of HS and I'm now in my 2nd year of college. Maybe I picked a lazy pitch to pick as my test. Time for round 2...
    Perhaps brush up on basic math first so you can figure out how much you're improving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it took 9 frames from start to finish then the total time is 8/30s from the first frame to the last.

29 feet in 8/30s = 29 * 30/8 = 108.75 feet/s

108.75 feet/s = 108.75 * 0.682 mph

= 74.15 mph

Well, it´s your choice really and it´s great if you wont ever need this. It´s just suprising since this is entry-level kinematics calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Perhaps brush up on basic math first so you can figure out how much you're improving.
    Respect the advice. I guess if there's any one thing I'm willing to remember from math it's how to solve these problems. Call me an idiot but everyone here has different answers and I tried plugging my new numbers into some equations presented here, and I'm lost still.

Mostly everyone came up with ~65.9 But I also see a 74, a 69, and somehow I make money by throwing a baseball with an answer of $37.

So I went out a threw a couple more. We're looking at 7.5 frames at 28 feet from hand to net. Shorter distance because I actually measured the distance from my release point (seen from the camera) to the net. Estimated previously because from the rubber to the net it's 34 feet; give or take an inch.

Also, could I get an equation for this? If everyone is using the same numbers how are people getting different answers?

I'm really discinlined to trust a camera for this sort of work.

dont the frames have timestamps?

Also, could I get an equation for this? If everyone is using the same numbers how are people getting different answers?
    Because the camera frames introduces an element of ambiguity into the data. 9 frames could mean either 8 or 9 intervals. There's an uncertainty of 12.5% right there. Which exactly accounts for the answers ranging from 65.9 to 74.1. If you post the first and last frames you could get a more accurate answer.

Equation: Speed in MPH = (distance * 3600 * camera frame rate) / (5280 * number of camera intervals)
    Last edited by Julian Rayne; 2013-10-24 at 11:59 PM.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

first frame (ball left arm): time A?
    last frame (ball reached net): time B?
    distance D between net and arm: 29
    (D / (time B - time A)) x 0.681818 = speed in mph
    Something like that could work too you know

or even simpler (distance (feet) / travel time (second)) x 0.681818 = speed in mph

frames are just as much of an approximation as time since your camera isnt very precise.
    Last edited by admeteora; 2013-10-25 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's really not ideal, especially at 30fps. Going frame by frame you can't actually see the point at which the ball leaves my hand because you just see a blur. Also, the sound of the ball hitting the net isn't going to be exact either, but close enough. Need a slow-mo cam, but at those prices I might as well just buy a radar gun. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Why? Just put a +/- of 1 frame (and apply it to the resulting velocity calculation).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.