Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AVPaul View Post
    Sorry, but MOP is enough for me: I'm not going to buy something, I already earned, again and again - I just won't buy next xpack, if I won't be able to fly there since start.
    Why do you play WoW? This happens every expansion, not just with flying but with professions, gear, levels etc. Every expansion everyone is essentially reset to roughly equivalent areas and they work their way back up from there. I don't see a difference between working toward getting flying again, and working toward the new level cap, profession cap or gear to enter and complete raids in.

lets be honest, 50k is peanuts, I would have flying day 1 on all of my toons...

Now if they would just let me buy my way to level 95.....

Deleted
    Whaat? I got my epic flyer the moment I dinged 70. You had all the time in the world to farm gold in Vanilla.
    What is even expensive? 100k? Nah thats pocket money for anyone who does anything in the world. 500k? Might be? I Million perhaps.

No. This would just favor all the people who play stock broker on the auction house, and screw over everyone else who just plays. Bad idea.

This is generally a terrible idea, might as well charge people to use ground mounts as well. I mean if you can't run away then world pvp will be alive again right? Yeah don't make me laugh.

A better way of limiting flying would to make some sort of quest chain per zone that allows you to fly there. Something as simple as disabling anti air cannons.
    Or even engaging in some espionage and destroying some sort of air field that provides enemy air superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    First of all, I personally love flying mounts in WoW but I think flying at max level is too easily obtainable. Do you remember days back in TBC? You had do farm your gold FOR MONTHS to learn flying (EDIT: I meant 280% speed flying) and to buy your first mount. And yeah, when you've finally bought it, you felt like you achieved something big. And now in MoP all you have to do is to get your character to 90th level, and then buy "flying in pandaria" for a very cheap price. That's not how it should work.
    Just because you handled your gold very poorly (obviously) doesn't mean everyone else did.
    I rerolled at the start of TBC with no gold at all on the server and got my first flying mount as fast as I could travel to the trainer after reaching 70 and 1 day later I had the 280%.
    Gold in this game has never been hard to come by, not even in classic, when TBC hit I had 5k or so gold as well as hundreds of flasks and potions left over from Naxxramas raiding.

And no I wouldn't want it behind an artificial barrier, preferably I'd like to be able to fly from the get go, I still see all the content.
    Last edited by Caelia; 2013-10-24 at 10:05 AM.

Nope. Why is shoving flying behind such a stupid barracde a good idea to so many?

Getting your max level fly skill shoudn't be expensive. You want to give everyone the opportunity to fly in the new zones (or continent if we get one). But what Blizzard can do is making flying itself expensive. Not in gold, but in usage. Flying should be limited some way. A dragon gets tired after a while, a flying machine runs out of fuel after a while. When you flyer gets exhausted you should get a cooldown on your flying skill. Also flying should be more dangerous. Like air defenses by the enemies that attacks you when flying nearby. Or birds/dragons/bats/etc.. that attacks you in air. That kind of things. That makes the usage of when and where you fly a lot more valuable. And makes ground mounts more important once again.

Problem is, you can't have a product, improve it (let's call it that for argument sake) and then downgrade it once again.
    Well, you can, but you sure can't expect your customers to be happy.

In other words, you can't give people/players more freedom and expect them to feel grateful once you take it back.

Just wont work.

Besides, old school players don't have as much time as in Vanilla, etc. and new(er) players are expecting NOW and SOONER THAN LATER things.
    Good or bad, it's just the way it is. At least looking at the whole picture.

First of all, I personally love flying mounts in WoW but I think flying at max level is too easily obtainable. Do you remember days back in TBC? You had do farm your gold FOR MONTHS to learn flying (EDIT: I meant 280% speed flying) and to buy your first mount. And yeah, when you've finally bought it, you felt like you achieved something big. And now in MoP all you have to do is to get your character to 90th level, and then buy "flying in pandaria" for a very cheap price. That's not how it should work.
    So here's my idea:

Let's say, there will be a lot of factions in the next expansion (just like in MoP). To raise your reputation with those factions of course you would have to do dailies or events (like in BF: Barrens or Timeless Isle). But those activities would also provide something like timeless coins. And to learn flying in the continent that will be added in the next expansion, you would have to pay a lot of those timeless coins. I mean really... A LOT. A grind would take maybe around few months but then you would again feel that you've achieved something - after all this hard work, now you can fly on your mount on the new continent.

And the reason why I think flying should be avalaible for currency similiar to timeless coins is because nowadays there is a lot of rich people in WoW so if flying would cost for example 50k gold, it wouldn't be any problem for rich people to buy it so instead they would have to do content and buy it for currency like timeless coins.

Discuss this idea.

I've also made the same topic on the official WoW forums, so if you like this idea, also post there so maybe someone from Blizzard will see it: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...44394?page=1#0
    "You had to do it in TBC" is not an argument. We also used to fetch water out of underground wells at a certain point in time.

Nobody wants to stupidly farm gold FOR MONTHS, as you said, in the year 2013. Some things become passé and one should be able recognize, understand and accept that.

Ridiculous gating and endless grind are considered awkward and unimaginable design concepts of the past, and there's a reason for that.

Also, the idea of "hard work" in video games was always a stupid to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    just another crusade for punishing people that want to fly instead of being a victim for the OP to ... GANK. as his name suggests.

quit trying to punish those who dont enjoy walking everywhere, and instead give them reasons to choose ground mounts. dont take away or block what is already in place, just give alternatives and promote getting off of your flying mounts.

its incentives that matter. the incentives have changed over the last 2 xpacs, we have to finish our dailies and chores quickly and efficiently, flying helps with that. there is no incentive to getting off your flying mount and helping others, or doing something for yourself on the ground.

flying was never too expensive, maybe thats subjective to how you spend your time, since i know people that cant seem to afford simple repair bills during raids. but for me it never felt "expensive". i even buy all levels of flying for my alts with the money they make from leveling (questing and dungeon runs).

the OP sounds confused to me, flying in TBC didnt feel epic because of cost, it felt epic because it was the FIRST time we could ride a flying mount of our own. the cost was relative to the amount of gold made from simply questing. and this continued thru each Xpac.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2013-10-24 at 10:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

100k would be fine for me

Whilst I somewhat agree, WoW will NEVER go back to any sort of playstyle like this, everything revolves about letting everyone access all the hard work they do, it's evolved and here to stay.

The rate of earning gold has also massively increased, you need to take that into account, each expansion you get more gold and get gold easier, thus they inflate prices of certain things, repair mount 20k wotlk, repair/reforge mount MoP 100k. (iirc prices)

The game has changed, and ignoring nostalgia, for the better.

If you want to feel special for having something expensive, go spend 100k on the reforge mount.

It would be cool if you got flying through quests and daily's through a system like Netherwing and Cloud Serpents though, at least it would delay it for a week or two with the average player, or an hour or two for the people who prefer to camp eggs. - only if it HAD to change.

Also, you don't get to use your hard earned rare flying mounts for 5 or X amount of levels whilst levelling, so why piss everyone off by then going, congrats you're level 100, oh, sorry, you need 500k to learn flying and exalted with these guys lolbai.

Flying isn't something special, it's something for everyone, you are pretty much entitled to it now, it's a core mechanic of travel in a large mmo world, they can't make it hard or out of reach, that's why they make hard or out of reach mounts instead.
    Last edited by Toiran; 2013-10-24 at 10:23 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So here's my idea:

Let's say, there will be a lot of factions in the next expansion (just like in MoP). To raise your reputation with those factions of course you would have to do dailies or events (like in BF: Barrens or Timeless Isle). But those activities would also provide something like timeless coins. And to learn flying in the continent that will be added in the next expansion, you would have to pay a lot of those timeless coins. I mean really... A LOT. A grind would take maybe around few months but then you would again feel that you've achieved something - after all this hard work, now you can fly on your mount on the new continent.

And the reason why I think flying should be avalaible for currency similiar to timeless coins is because nowadays there is a lot of rich people in WoW so if flying would cost for example 50k gold, it wouldn't be any problem for rich people to buy it so instead they would have to do content and buy it for currency like timeless coins.

Discuss this idea.

I've also made the same topic on the official WoW forums, so if you like this idea, also post there so maybe someone from Blizzard will see it: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...44394?page=1#0
    I agree with you 100%. It could be something to strive for, a money sink AND add some sense of accomplishment to being able to fly. 50k is perhaps a bit much, but I still agree that it should be a very high price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please tell me the OP is joking. That is a way to get 99% of subs to just quit the game.

Also Implying 50K gold is alot. LOL!
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by xazark View Post
    lets be honest, 50k is peanuts, I would have flying day 1 on all of my toons...

Now if they would just let me buy my way to level 95.....
    It is not peanuts to everybody!
    I even believe that for most of the players it is too much... as I remember reading that only a small percentage of players have more than 50K.
    It is a while back, so that number could've changed.

Fuck. That. i've never even had 50k on any given character at any given point.. i think my max was 41k on my main after i dinged 90 and did the shit out of the dailies, keep in mind i had like 15k when MoP launched.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2013-10-24 at 10:41 AM.

If they did this, then people would just buy the gold needed to be able to fly.

There really shouldn't even be a fee: why should I pay for something I already had just to do it again on EVERY SINGLE FUCKING CHAR? Just add a level restriction and have it cost 1g each expansion and that's all. I am tired of paying to fly.

There is largely two factors that has to be considered, the established players and the new or newly returning. If you balance things around the established players then the new ones get screwed over and already have to pay for all the other flyings. Balance around the new players and the cost is insignificant for those that dont have poor gold management or realms with shitty economies.

Someone mentioning 50k would be moderate for me at the start of this expansion especially considering I spent about 15k leveling alchemy and engineering by AH on my toon which is less than I spent last expansion. For altaholics complaining about the combined cost need to realize that they are choosing to be altaholics which is not something meant for everyone to do. Having to spend time on your alts and pay for the services is something that is apart of being an altohalic.