Thread: Almost Reported

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Almost Reported

So I've played somewhere between 3500-4000 bgs, and last night was the closest I've come to reporting a player. I've seen worse. Not sure what it was about this that set me off. Anyway, the details.

Eye of the Storm. Opposing mage is in the middle and has picked up the flag before our side is 10 feet from the starting area. Easy cap.

Fast forward. We're down 1450-1440. Each side has 2 bases. We've got the flag near one of our bases but lose it and said mage picks it up. Rather than running to a base, he runs back to the middle and slides off onto that little ledge that is out of range / los. He waits out the timer there and we lose.

So my questions.

1. Are either (or both) of these actions considered exploits? Or is this "clever gameplay"?

2. If they are exploits and I report the player, is the GM likely to do anything? Or am I going to get a "there, there" or "needs corroboration" kind of response?

In close games my friends and I tend to call it "Cap-Insurance" and it's a viable tactic IMO.

(Edit: Misunderstood, but the below statement still holds true)

It's not against rules, at all, for him to do that... so simply the GM will respond that they will look into it, but no action will be taken.
    Last edited by Snuggli; 2013-11-01 at 07:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smart play on his account. I'm surprised none of your engineers went to catch him.

Deleted
    ha, that's pretty clever. still, they wouldn't have won if you could have taken just one of their bases and held your own, so it's not really cheating in any sense of the word. good job on him for using his brain

I think it's a bit of a cheeseball move. I'd be surprised if anything ever came of it though.

Haha that was pretty smart of the Mage in both cases. Sucks to be you though. Not report worthy at all though
    Mew!

Sounds to me like a stupid mage who thought he was helping when in fact he wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Molestron View Post
    Sounds to me like a stupid mage who thought he was helping when in fact he wasn't.
    I'm not sure you actually read the post. The Mage was on the team who won, he won the game by taking the flag to where no one could get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    I'm not sure you actually read the post. The Mage was on the team who won, he won the game by taking the flag to where no one could get it.
    Ah yeah, sorry.

Yeah, it's clever use of game mechanics. It's not an exploit because anyone could have went down there to beat him up. Not the mage's fault no one cared to do just that or didn't have the chance to do it.

In rbgs it's a common tactic to take the flag and not actually cap if it looks like the flag spawn area is overwhelmed with the opposite faction, because if you do cap it the other guys will immediately take it as soon as it respawns if the zone isn't secured.
    Last edited by Molestron; 2013-11-02 at 07:59 PM.

Yes, both things are definitely against the rules. Anyone saying otherwise has no clue or does not understand the situation. If he was able to pick up the flag before you guys were even out of the base that means he bugged/glitched through the shield and was somehow able to get to the middle without getting ported back, which is exploiting. Second, holding the flag in an area that is not accessible by normal means is another thing that is against the rules, because it means no one can attack him, which is exploiting.
    Last edited by Speaker; 2013-11-02 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker View Post
    Yes, both things are definitely against the rules. Anyone saying otherwise has no clue or does not understand the situation. If he was able to pick up the flag before you guys were even out of the base that means he bugged/glitched through the shield and was somehow able to get to the middle without getting ported back, which is exploiting. Second, holding the flag in an area that is not accessible by normal means is another thing that is against the rules, because it means no one can attack him, which is exploiting.
    As far as I can tell there was no such thing as glitching the exit at the start of the match. Besides that, in randoms you can make use of the rocket boost and glider to get to the flag really fast and it's not exploiting anything.

Also, the mage didn't use a glitch to go down there, so anyone else could have went after him, they just chose not to do it or simply couldn't because the opposite faction didn't give them the chance.

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel its stupid that you can use profession items in BG.

Deleted
    This is a case of smart use of mechanics. Exploit? Not sure. Something that needs changing? Yes.

That mage just made an epic play. You don't see that kind of thing in battlegrounds anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Molestron View Post
    As far as I can tell there was no such thing as glitching the exit at the start of the match. Besides that, in randoms you can make use of the rocket boost and glider to get to the flag really fast and it's not exploiting anything.

Also, the mage didn't use a glitch to go down there, so anyone else could have went after him, they just chose not to do it or simply couldn't because the opposite faction didn't give them the chance.
    He didn't glitch, but he used slow fall to reach an area that was otherwise unreachable. Imo, he can't be banned for that, but if it isn't reported blizzard can't fix it. Now, the other part is questionable. The op says he picked up the flag before they got 10 ft from their base. This is literally impossible, even with rocket boots + slow fall, trust me I do it every game. Just picking up the flag takes at least 6 seconds now I think? Usually by the time I've gotten the flag, even the players who ran normally on their mounts are in range to attack. From what the OP said it definitely sounds like some kind of exploit.
    Last edited by Speaker; 2013-11-02 at 10:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaker View Post
    He didn't glitch, but he used slow fall to reach an area that was otherwise unreachable. Imo, he can't be banned for that, but if it isn't reported blizzard can't fix it. Now, the other part is questionable. The op says he picked up the flag before they got 10 ft from their base. This is literally impossible, even with rocket boots + slow fall, trust me I do it every game. Just picking up the flag takes at least 6 seconds now I think? Usually by the time I've gotten the flag, even the players who ran normally on their mounts are in range to attack. From what the OP said it definitely sounds like some kind of exploit.
    The 6 second timer to flag pick ups only happens when the flag is at the center spawn point on the map. If it gets dropped due to a player dying or an invulernability effect, anyone can just click the flag to pick it up instantly.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    The 6 second timer to flag pick ups only happens when the flag is at the center spawn point on the map. If it gets dropped due to a player dying or an invulernability effect, anyone can just click the flag to pick it up instantly.
    Did you even read the thread?

Deleted
    I'd give the mage kudos for being awesome and smart and making you mad

Mage played properly as far as I know. You could have sent others down there to attack him, for instance- it isn't like it's some unwinnable exploit thing.