Question to casters out there.

First I have played a warrior the last 2 expansions. Willfully I told myself I'd stick with him this long. It's the only melee class I really enjoy.

Now though as MOP slowly comes to an end in a long stretch of time. I would like to dabble in a caster. Even possibly level one up in a different realm than all my other toons.

My question to you veteran casters is which caster do you find the most fun, versatile, and worth rolling. I'm not a altaholic like dedicating myself to just one toon at a time, and just before it's said. I'm not asking someone to tell me what to play, just looking for opinions with players who have played casters.

Roll a lock... you get a pet to tank for you, your survivability is amazing, and they're loads of fun. My main has been a lock since '06, never regretted it.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Deleted
    well what do you want to play.. personally I have always played mostly mage frost speced, because i really enjoy the control that you have as frost and the amount of kite and CC you got going
    so if i should give you a good question you first need to figure out how you like to play.. ( do you like control, burst damage and so on )

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played a mage, boomkin and shadow priest so far. Got a lvl 86 lock but didn't really like it. I also play MW monk, but that's a bit different than your every day caster. It's different. At times it can be frustrating as well in both PvE and PvP (usually for the same reasons, not being able to cast).

When I used to PvE on my mage it kept bothering me that I had to stop my DPS in order to move out of bad stuff. Now with icy floes being actually decent, it does help. So does blink. As for spriest it's pretty annoying as well.

I'd say mage is most versatile, unless you mean utility/healing specs etc. then I'd say boomkin. Though I dislike boomkin nowadays because of how boring it is nowadays. Shadow priest can also be reasonable versatile I guess with life swap and life grip, but that's about it.

I played a warrior for 5 years, and when i started again a couple of months ago (didnt play MoP until september) i decided to start a new character thanks to account wide achievements, mounts etc. Now, i play priest, healing and shadow and i havent had so much fun playing since my first char which was a mage. As warrior i always felt lacking and never enjoyed it as much as the priest im playing now.

I can recommend priest without a doubt. Its really fun switching between healing and dps

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    First I have played a warrior the last 2 expansions. Willfully I told myself I'd stick with him this long. It's the only melee class I really enjoy.

Now though as MOP slowly comes to an end in a long stretch of time. I would like to dabble in a caster. Even possibly level one up in a different realm than all my other toons.

My question to you veteran casters is which caster do you find the most fun, versatile, and worth rolling. I'm not a altaholic like dedicating myself to just one toon at a time, and just before it's said. I'm not asking someone to tell me what to play, just looking for opinions with players who have played casters.
    Fun is a highly personal thing, everyone here will tell you what is fun for them, and do not ever coincide with what is fun for you. It 's like asking what color do you prefer?You'd prefer the color with the most approvals?

The point is: what's fun for you?

I like me a good rotation (which I know can be changed at any time). I'm not overly concerned with a pvp edge because it's pretty much 2nd on my list of things to do. So cc isn't so important. I feel like Mage, warlock, and priests are the "true" casters for lack of a better term. Or maybe non hybrid is what I meant to say.

Now just finding what I'll enjoy sticking with for a while.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mylex View Post
    Fun is a highly personal thing, everyone here will tell you what is fun for them, and do not ever coincide with what is fun for you. It 's like asking what color do you prefer?You'd prefer the color with the most approvals?

The point is: what's fun for you?
    I know, it's like looking at a loot table before pulling a boss. Just getting a census of the classes. Like I said I stick with toons for a while so it's a big decision.

I typically play a healy Priest, so keep that in mind when I say... I enjoy my Mage (Frost, just because I like the color Blue, and the ice sounds) and my Shaman (which offers a variety of modes of play).

I don't enjoy my Warlock or my Druid much, despite thinking both are cool "ideas."
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Deleted
    From what i read from post #1 is that you want to try something really diffrent, If thats so then i strongly recommned mage. Why? Because warrior and mage are, in my opinion, the opposite sides of one thing - Killing mashines. With warrior you charge, smash and kill, little to no thinking . With mage the only thing that is the same is the thrid part - the killing. With mage the first and second part you have to think. You can't just charge in, if you do that its very likely that you might end up smashed and killed :P. You dont have the same stamina and durability as warrior. Ofcourse you got the tools to survaive a fight, but they are totaly diffrent that warrior's ones.
    What im saying is that warrior and mage have a totaly opposite style of fighting and who know... this might like you :P
    Last edited by mmoc0c907153ea; 2013-11-01 at 01:30 PM.

What is the major difference between the Mage specs? They seem quite a bit the same. More so than warlock it seems. Elaborate if you can.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really enjoy my destroy lock. The learning curve on a lock is really low. You get the voidwalker tank that is really effective. You get some really good nukes and AoE abilities. You have good raid utility, such as health stones, battle rez, and raid buff. Overall the destro lock is a good choice.

I'd say elemental shaman. You also get the chance to spec enhacement should you feel going to melee again. To a lesser extent you could also go balance druid, but i really like elemental. Also as elemental you put flameshock on your sunder key, lavaburst on your colossus smash key, and lightning bolt everywhere else, and you are good to go (for starters that is)

Well priest are out of the question unfortunately. Even though they seem pretty cool. Them and pally's I can't get into. I have a druid but honestly don't enjoy the balance sun/moon playstyle so he's kitty. I also have a shaman from cata but haven't touched him since.

I think Mage is of more interest to me right now. Just because I'm not much into pet classes. I think they will provide the flash and different playstyle I'm looking for. Which as explained earlier seems to be the polar opposite of warrior, and when I get tired of that ill swing back to the no magic brute.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    What is the major difference between the Mage specs? They seem quite a bit the same. More so than warlock it seems. Elaborate if you can.
    Arcane - worst PvP spec, best PvE spec(theoreticaly), aka "glass canon" or turret meaning exactly what it sound of - High dps spec witch involves minimum to no movement to do high dmg. Also tied in mana management to do the said high dps due mastery mechanics. And i think this is the most exciting part of the spec (raid enviorment wise) - mastering both mana managment and positioning during encounter to do high dps
    Fire - between Arcane and Frost in both PvP and PvE. Not much to say except one word combination - "Critfest".
    Frost - THE spec for PvP. Allow high control over your opponent via freezes, stuns, devastating Ice Lances, also this expansion is buffed to be viable and in PvE

Edit: that is from MY point of view and expirience with the class over the 5 years i play this shizzle called WoW with it.
    Last edited by mmoc0c907153ea; 2013-11-01 at 01:37 PM.

Deleted
    for me personally ive played every other caster than a lock to lvl 90 and i must say i still find my mage the most fun to play out of them all but that might just be cos it used to be my main for years and i have some great memories of those times

10+ Year Old Account
    Destro lock is a lot of fun. Your ability to survive damage and heal yourself is borderline broken (good), the rotation feels just right as far as complexity goes, and you get to wind up badass Chaos Bolts when your procs are up to crit your brains out. And if you don't like pets? Get Grimoire of Sacrifice and go petless. Cause pets stink.
    Look! Words!

I know you said you'd like a "true" caster, but I would really recommend an elemental shaman. The rotation is fairly simply, and it's a lot of fun. You keep one dot up on your target and then alternate between a few hard casts, and then you get procs for big instant damage attacks. This is coupled with the fact that your spells have a chance to duplicate themselves, and you end up seeing streams of casts go off. You see big numbers when you're single target, and spamming chain lightning for AoE is fun and looks really cool.

On top of that, I like the utility of the shaman. You can off-heal in a pinch, have some good raid utility, and your totems bring a lot of other options (aoe snare, aoe root break, spell absorb, healing, shielding, etc.). Additionally, if you level it and end up hating it there is always the option of going enhance which is good as well. I'm a warrior myself, and then only caster I currently enjoy is the elemental shaman. I guess destruction lock would be a distant second.
    Jazzhands <Sacred Samophlange>, 6/14H, US-Skywall
    "Query? What do you think I'm here for, tea and biscuits? Spill the beans already!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Except you're asking people to tell you which of the caster classes is worth rolling...for you, which we don't allow here. It's your personal decision and all people can do is post their favorite over and over again, making it sound so awesome until you try it out for yourself. It's not something that really can be a productive discussion.