Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    6ft1" and Heavier than what I should be.
    if someone was to start confronting me I would just sit on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually try to prevent confrontations from escalating, simply because while I may seem like a nice person up front, I'm actually pretty violent
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 188 cm and 100kg, and I usually back down. I'm averse to violence when it's not for sport or self defense, and think it usually does more harm than good if it can be avoided. I don't feel like a wimp at all.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Beat that arrogant prick to a pulp and drive off. No way they will trace you down, and hes a life leason richer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 6'5" (195 cm) and about 245 lbs (around 110 kg). I rarely have ever found myself in a situation where I have to back down, confront, or ignore. People generally don't try to start fights with me. On the few occasions in my life when people have gotten aggressive with me, I've generally confronted, though sometimes ignored.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I'm not really a "bigger guy" ... I'm about 6'3", weighed about 210 when I was actively lifting weights and playing sports (about 180ish now).

But, I've never started a fight. I've diffused almost all fights just by standing my ground and looking the other guy in the eye. The only three fights I've been a part of in my life were started by someone I was with, and I was only involved trying to get my buddy out of it.

So... Ignore would be my first option. Stand my ground would be second. Assuming it started with me minding my own business, doing nothing shady or illegal.

Edit: Although be careful. If the smaller guy knows how to throw a punch and you're not ready for it, he can one shot you.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2013-11-03 at 03:17 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have always looked really intimidating so I have never had that problem

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    I have always looked really intimidating so I have never had that problem
    I don't at all; perhaps that's my problem. If anything I'm a bit goofy looking despite my size (6'3", 250lbs).

10+ Year Old Account
    I ignore them up to a certain point.
    Sucker punch me and you better hope you knock me out, otherwise, say goodbye to basic motor skills for the forseeable future.

10+ Year Old Account
    I avoid that shit like the plague, in fact if there is one thing my brother and I both do, it's laugh while walking away. Some random kid went up to him in high school one time when I was picking him (brother) up and said, "Gimme that calculator ni**a*", he didn't even glance at the guy and walked away laughing.
    Hey everyone

Generally people continue the confrontation if you are contributing to it by saying "Fuck off"

Defend yourself and family if needed but don't contribute to it

Idk there is some prick at a store , he is shorter than me, older, lighter, kinda pisses me off, I wanna fight him but like if I fight him I would lose so much reputation cuz it will be in the news to the ppl in the store, there is one day he yelled me so fucking loud in front of many people in the store telling me to move, he really got some balls, I just ignored him and move along, but srsly that is just rude, but like I think I might get sued if I fight him, that's one reason I never going to pick a fight.
    Last edited by Vvhooya; 2013-11-03 at 06:00 AM.

Will be missed ~

10+ Year Old Account
    210cm (just short of 7ft) with average form, not muscular but not skinny either.
    If put to the spot I could break alot of bone, but I am more of a gentle giant.
    Personality wise I am fairly introverted and somewhat shy.

Despite that I have had to handle quite alot of confrontations. This is only because I took a part time job as a security guard to support my studdies (bouncer - transportation - shopping center ...)
    In my personal life I had a few encounters when I was 17-19 after that nothing.
    Security guards in my country are pretty heavily regulated, cant carry weaponds, cant carry batons and cant handcuff (althogh stips, pepper spray and tasers are somehow legal). We only operate within the property rights (granted by the contractors) and if attacked regular emergency rights (our own rights as civilans), essentially nothing beyond the rights of a regular homeowner in his own house. In my country homeowners cant shoot intruders unless life is on the line...

In my experience and from what I was thaught you should always try to use verbal coercion in order to diffuse a situation.
    Getting physical is always the last resort.

Just beating somone up, regardless if its within your power or not, that stuff does not fly very well in todays socity.
    More importantly there is always an element of uncertainty that person might have knife or a gun on him/her.

Though personally I have no problem with violence as a solution to problems (I won't judge someone who socks someone that is harassing them), I am not violent myself. I don't want to fight anybody. In the scenario the OP made, I would not have shown my license either. All I would have said is "I'm allowed to fish here. If you have an objection, call the department of fish and wildlife." If he persisted, I would threaten to call the police. I would also ignore him if possible. If he punched me, I would beat on him until he ran away. Unfortunately, this would mean I have to now leave because he could easily come back with a gun. Honestly, the main reason I avoid confrontation is because they might be armed.

But these situations don't happen to me. I don't know why they happen to you.

Generally speaking, I haven't run into an issue if I just laugh people off. I had a guy take a couple runs at me when I was blowing my vuvuzela in the park in 2010. He did not expect the dexterity.

Deleted
    Depends on the situation. Usually just ignore/walk away but if someone puts thier hands on me and is all uppity for no reason just fucking rip thier jaw off. recently had some kid i bumped into in a club and spilt a tiny bit of his drink kick off at me, i was like sorry pal its a busy club we are all on the dance floor with drinks this happens. Obviously him being some brave little pissed up fresher he decided to have a go. Pushed me (i fucking hate that shit throw a punch dont push lol) and proceeded to take his jaw off. Standard bouncers are on me before the chap hit the floor but owt happened from it. I think alot of people have never been whacked by someone bigger than them and have never been put in thier place. That kid will think again before being a cunt for some trivial reason.

Back when I was a bouncer it happened a lot, you never back down when you are doing that. Now that I'm a security guard (yea yea rent a cop haha) I still have issues where people (usually younger) come up and try to start stuff, I still refuse to back down. Honestly most people I've run into are very unsure of themselves and will back off if you do not. I've found in the end, most people are afraid of pain, and not knowing if they can take you will always weigh in the back of their mind on whether continuing is a smart idea or not. Thankfully it's rare that anyone continues with their plan after I refuse to back down. Had it happen a few times, I will not hold back if they escalate it that far. I might not seem like much (I am still out of shape ) but I've wrestled with bulls most of my life, when you've been kicked and rammed by them enough, most people can't hit worth a damn. Admittedly I've yet to run into anyone who has shown any kind of training, and I hope I never do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodedsoul View Post
    Admittedly I've yet to run into anyone who has shown any kind of training, and I hope I never do.
    From my experience, the people with actual training are very rarely the ones trying to pick a fight. Kind of a paradox, but I think it has to with the self-confidence martial training gives you; I don't have to try show that I'm tough by acting up, I know that I'm tough, etc.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNationGamer View Post
    Generally people continue the confrontation if you are contributing to it by saying "Fuck off"

Defend yourself and family if needed but don't contribute to it
    Never happened to me but yeah don't give them a reason by telling them to fuck off unless that's what you want which sounds like you did. You even came on here to brag about it.

Deleted
    190cm+ and over 100kg so I don't get too many people pushing me around - if they do, talk seems to work better than tussling although I've to resort to it a few times (with drunkards, not "normal people").

When in a threatening work situation (I'm a nurse/para) the best way is simply to move away from the threatening situation where "longer than arm" devices are involved, trying to talk them down is not advisable (and yes, I've looked down the barrel in the past - I'm still here).