Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    I know, right?
    People who are out to prove something try and pick the biggest guy to help their tiny ego. Its only happened to me twice since I hit over 6 foot, and it was very tiny guys in both situations.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    So you are ok with hitting a woman?
    Only a coward would do that where I come from.
    I'm ok with defending myself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesti...ce_against_men

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    For those of you who are larger than average, how do you handle the people who go out of their way to start stuff with you?
    I smile, and walk away. Generally my smile puts fear in people.

Yes I'm large, and I have been told I look insane when I smile.

No matter how big they are,.

Tazer wins all.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    I know, right?
    No shit. I never put myself in places that attract people that seek confrontation.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    6'7", 300 lbs here, done quite a lot of boxing in my youth. Look burly and cuddly, but it's not all fat and fur.

Words don't bother me one bit and couldn't touch my temper, which for some reason will infuriate people even more. I'll generally try to avoid confrontation if at all possible and simply walk away. I usually never try to talk back or at best tell people "I'm not interested, buddy". Walking away does nothing to hurt my self esteem.

That being said, if I feel that I or my loved ones are in danger, and only then, I will have no problem with physical confrontation. I will never start a fight, but I will not be the least bit concerned with your further health or safety if you do.

In OP's example I'd probably have told him that either I need to see a badge of some sort or we have nothing to talk about.
    Last edited by mmoc494ea71a08; 2013-11-03 at 11:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    No shit. I never put myself in places that attract people that seek confrontation.
    You've never been to a bar? Picking up ladies always pisses off someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    You've never been to a bar? Picking up ladies always pisses off someone.
    hm, I guess I don't try to pick up women in sleazy bars?

Deleted
    You should never hit anyone. End of story.

That being said, if a woman is man enough to result to actual physical violence(not just a silly weird girly-fist on the shoulder), she should be man enough to face the response. Why should there be special rules for that? Assault is assault.

Deleted
    hm, I guess I don't try to pick up women in sleazy bars?
    Doesn't matter. Jealousy isn't exclusive to low-class people, nor bars.

Doesn't matter. Jealousy isn't exclusive to low-class people, nor bars.
    I don't know what to tell you. In in the last 14 years of being an adult I have not been in the situation OP describes. Not even once.

I find that I'm VERY rarely in situations like that (can think of 3 in the past 25 years - and all 3 were drunk 'kids') but when it does happen, I will always ignore them, unless they decide to come after me (which, they find out, is usually a big mistake) Not boasting or bragging, but at 5'8" and 160 - well, my mom still tells me I'm built like a brick shithouse

Deleted
    I don't know what to tell you. In in the last 14 years of being an adult I have not been in the situation OP describes. Not even once.
    That's odd. Maybe you look really friendly and nice or something.

I'm 32 and never had anyone come up to me like that. Even if they did I'd probably ask who they were if they asked me for my license and tell them sorry but they have no say in me fishing. If their is an issue they can get someone with authority to come talk to me. I have no problems being super nice to people that are obviously trying to push their weight around for no reason.

That's odd. Maybe you look really friendly and nice or something.
    lol maybe. Most people tend to like me. I am a big guy. 6'5, so maybe that turns people off. Who knows.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm about 6'/6'1, not really that tall compared to some people around me. But the town where I go out clubbing every now and again is literally full of idiots, I honestly try my best to avoid any confrontations at all, even if it's just a verbal one. You never know what these idiots have on them and when they're drunk they won't be thinking whether they should use it. To put this into perspective, there's fights every weekend when the clubs are packed and a few months ago a guy went into a toilet and someone slit his throat, it was apparently for something minor or for nothing at all. That makes it sound a lot worse than it is, but it's still bad for fights and I don't want to get in any. I can't think of a situation where I would actually fight, it would likely have to be if someone has actually attacked me, or I've completely lost it and been consumed by rage. Other than that, I try to stay away from any confrontations for my own good.

My brother's friend is a "big guy", he was only about 5'7 or 5'8 I think, but muscleswise he was colossal. He was a rugby player and freakishly strong, naturally, so because of that my brother said that every week there would be some new guy who would come up to him and try start something. Just this guy's size would intimidate someone, but ofc they don't know that his dad was a kickboxing champion and he had also been very well trained at the sport, so every week there was some new guy that had the crap kicked out of him. So it definitely does happen, normally just because people have a few and then try to show they're the big man, either in front of friends or a girl they've met.
    Last edited by TJ; 2013-11-03 at 11:41 PM.

I'm 5'11" and 212lbs so probably right on the line that makes me acceptable to be tall. Honestly, no one starts stuff with me, probably cause I have a naturally grumpy angry face. My natural face is like someone whom has had a bad day. I don't ever look people in the eye and when I do, I try to force out a smile to prevent conflict. At 29 and married with 2 children, I'm of the mindset that confrontation is just something that will get in the way of my busy day and if it's just me, I let it slide past me. If someone bumps into me or I get someone upset, I apologize and move on.

However if someone does something to my wife or children, that would be another story, and I wouldn't hesitate to cripple someone in defense of my family. Luckily that hasn't happened yet and I pray that I don't get into a situation that it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where you come from has ridiculous morals then. No, that doesn't mean go out and hit women for the lols, but if a woman comes up and punches you in the face then I have no problem at all with any man that replies in the same manner. Want to act like a man then be prepared to be treated like one.
    Last edited by TJ; 2013-11-03 at 11:42 PM.

Deleted
    Why should women be exempted? It's not okay to hit men either. But I don't see why women shouldn't expect retaliation if they attack someone.

I wouldn't suggest trying to start something or make something of nothing but if you're put against the wall here's my advice. Think from the body of the guy attacking you. Big guys take body shots like champs and tend to have fat hiding a throat but they also carry far too much weight on the knees. Warn em how you plan to stop em and if they already feel it they back down. If he's young, it's about the only way to drop em fast outside his nuts. The fat is almost like body armor.