[TV] Gay, female & young black male leads on US shows

anyone watched MErlin? and now ATlantis?

Heathen religion revival aside, is it just me or do the writers have a thing for evil women or a thing against women?

Both the main villains are female that start of as friends - kudos to them though for doing that in an entertainment age of political correctness where portraying women, gays or blacks in any negative light is bad. well I generalize, but you know what I mean.. so many series with female heroes and the men are the douches, biggest pricks, evil ones - refreshing to have a show where we have a female main villain to buck the trend.

although in hollywood, the black guy dies the first and is always the buddy or sidekick of the white guy - notice a surprising absence of the 20-40 black male demographicin US entertainment.
    the gay guy usually undgergoes some horrible fate because of his sick morals or is always the most twisted villain that the revelation of his gayness is meant to be the crown in his depravity. And if it's lesbian, it's always cute fling with the lead actress or lead support that turns out bad.

So when can we look forward to on American television:
    1. The gay male that's actually the main hero of the story. I mean the character not the actor.
    2. The young 20s-30s black guy that's actually the one calling the shots as the main lead .
    3. The woman that's the arch villain and mastermind that doesn't look like your stereotype lesbian, but could actually be.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2013-11-03 at 06:15 PM.

Deleted
    1: I'm pretty sure Merlin is gay. And I know for a fact that the male lead role in Primeval is gay.
    2: Deep Blue Sea, the black chef is the only one who survives completely unharmed. Only one I can remember though.:>
    3: Cinderella, Theodora from Wizard of Oz, The Queen in Alice in wonderland, Bitch from Dark Knight Rises etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    1: I'm pretty sure Merlin is gay. And I know for a fact that the male lead role in Primeval is gay.
    2: Deep Blue Sea, the black chef is the only one who survives completely unharmed. Only one I can remember though.:>
    3: Cinderella, Theodora from Wizard of Oz, The Queen in Alice in wonderland, Bitch from Dark Knight Rises etc etc.
    maybe the actor is gay, but the character Merlin? I know he had only 2 romantic involvements, both were female, and he was very buddy to Arthur, but I think we were sensing the chemistry between the two male actors rather than the two characters.

but 1 show, Primeval is far far too rare.
    2. we still have to have black lead male in the 20-40 demography
    3. you're right there are more evil female main villains, but in TV, I think it's only the Queen from Once Upon A time, but even there, The Dark One is the principle baddy, The Queen of Harts in Alice in Wonderland, Jaffa is the main baddy. Dark Knight Rises, there was a female villain, there are female villains, but not the main villain.

In Merlin and Atlantis, the main villains are female. I like htat it breaks the stereotype, always it's the male as a douchback , like Hollywood doesn't believe women can make serious villains.

- - - Updated - - -

not to mention, Primeval is british yet again, no AMerican shows. Which character was gay in Primeval? I never got the impression that anyone was gay in that show.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2013-11-03 at 03:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    maybe the actor is gay, but the character Merlin? I know he had only 2 romantic involvements, both were female, and he was very buddy to Arthur, but I think we were sensing the chemistry between the two male actors rather than the two characters.
    Yeah perhaps. Their friendship felt slightly homoerotic at times, always just assumed that Merlin played for both teams.

2. we still have to have black lead male in the 20-40 demography
    Steve Urkel, Will Smith in Fresh prince of bell air, Boondocks(Voiced by almost only black folk) for TV. And then we have Will Smith in most leading movie roles as the good guy. Morgan Freeman is portraying God(He's not in the 20-40 demographic, but he's God, c'mon. ) and Denzel Washington is fighting bad guys in almost every movie. There are quite a few movies and series with black people as the lead role. However I don't think there exist one single horror movie where a black character is still alive after the first 30 minutes.
    not to mention, Primeval is british yet again, no AMerican shows. Which character was gay in Primeval? I never got the impression that anyone was gay in that show.
    I was actually confusing Primeval with Torchwood. The lead role(Owen Harper) on Torchwood is gay but again that's British. Although the female techie in the American spin-off of primeval is gay as well. But lesbians seem to be accepted and considered hawt on American television series so it's not the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Dark Knight Rises, there was a female villain, there are female villains, but not the main villain.
    I must argue with this one. She was THE villain, the mastermind that manipulated Bruce Wayne and got control of Wayne Enterprises.
    Almost killed him and the entirety of Gotham City. She was more dangerous than mofo Bane in my opinion.

Hmm... let's see what comes to mind.

Revenge. Nolan Ross. Deffo a lead male role in that, and although he's bisexual, he's had a few gay relationships on the show (got topless and made out with another guy in the last episode). Also, as far as villains, there's a fair mix in there of both genders.

Also, the New Normal. American show about a gay couple and their surrogate.

See Glee too. May have a female villain, but the main characters seem to represent varying demographics.

Oh, and P.S. Merlin and Atlantis aren't American.