Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Bad trolling is bad.

I don't know. Metzen seems to share the mentality with the crowd who types
    Metzen and really most of Blizzard's primary story and content team is populated by aging people who grew up with early-late 80's media as teenagers and young adults. They have families now, they're fatter and have longer beards, but they are still at their core manchildren. As a result they're extremely prone to feeling like "geeked up" and the like is the equivalent of giant muscle-bound cigar chomping idiots wearing a million belts and pouches is the idea of good storytelling.

Go watch the "Geek Is" presentation, in all its pandering, shame, and time-stalling and it should indicate exactly who we're dealing with.

"What we wanna say is that while all this stuff may seem like big business, we want to drive home how passionate we are and geeked up - which is exactly why I spent this 25 minute presentation making a commodity out of imagination and name-dropping other things you may like to rouse an emotional response. Enjoy our announcement-less Blizzcon!"

As far as lore inconsistencies dismissing this, well, remember the draenei? Mind, this is WAY more mistakes in one story than that.

It's probably fake, but I can't help but feel in my gut that we're going to get a similar story.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to add any credence to this nonsense, but everyone nitpicking lore things realizes this is supposed to be an alternate timeline right? So basically all your reasons how this is fake don't apply. It doesn't make it true, but this is certainly not a basis to prove anything unfortunately.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I don't want to add any credence to this nonsense, but everyone nitpicking lore things realizes this is supposed to be an alternate timeline right? So basically all your reasons how this is fake don't apply. It doesn't make it true, but this is certainly not a basis to prove anything unfortunately.
    Their argument is more that even in the alternate timeline, as far back as we're going, these events shouldn't have happened.

If I go back to 1983 and the first thing I see is flying cars, there's no reason for that to be possible because I haven't changed anything yet.

But again, draenei. They may've just fucked up orc history and forgot their own lore pieces.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deathonabun View Post
    D

Lets hope something different of expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Garrosh being set free and sent into the distant past of an alternate timeline Outland to change the history of the orcs and bend it to his will is pretty neat, too. In particular, eliminating Gul'dan and forcing Velen to flee Draenor to prevent the Legion from interefering is quite clever, despite the obvious holes it causes.
    This is the point that totally throws it into the fanfic area, for me. Garrosh, at the end of MoP, is a broken orc. He is not defiant on defeat, he's not roaring while in chains. He just follows his captors docilely. It seems that after the bloodlust has worn off, Garrosh has become lethargic, not unlike the orcs after the second war. Garrosh doesn't seem to be prisoner of the irons that bind his hands, but prisoner of his own defeat, prisoner inside his mind.

15+ Year Old Account
    But the entry point into this alternate timeline is before many of these events occurred, so the results of them never happened.

Stormreaver Clan doesn't exist yet, so it can't be destroyed.
    If Gul'dan has fel magic, the Burning Legion is already invested in Draenor.
    If the portal to Azeroth was never opened, Deathwing can't be there.
    If the Burning Legion left, the Dark Portal would never have been opened for the Horde to cross to Aeroth in the final act.
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
    Metzen and really most of Blizzard's primary story and content team is populated by aging people who grew up with early-late 80's media as teenagers and young adults. They have families now, they're fatter and have longer beards, but they are still at their core manchildren. As a result they're extremely prone to feeling like "geeked up" and the like is the equivalent of giant muscle-bound cigar chomping idiots wearing a million belts and pouches is the idea of good storytelling.

Go watch the "Geek Is" presentation, in all its pandering, shame, and time-stalling and it should indicate exactly who we're dealing with.

"What we wanna say is that while all this stuff may seem like big business, we want to drive home how passionate we are and geeked up - which is exactly why I spent this 25 minute presentation making a commodity out of imagination and name-dropping other things you may like to rouse an emotional response. Enjoy our announcement-less Blizzcon!"

As far as lore inconsistencies dismissing this, well, remember the draenei? Mind, this is WAY more mistakes in one story than that.

It's probably fake, but I can't help but feel in my gut that we're going to get a similar story.
    Sadly you could be right.

15 year old fan posts "I read the Manga "Son of Go'el" and it was pretty cool."

Chris Metzen: *level up spell effect.* "World of Warcraft: Look Who's Talking"

Might actually be the first time i quit wow if this is true. Not even slightly interested in another expansions with 100% horde focus with rehashed shit all over.

I'm gonna go ahead and translate the original Chinese post more concisely, just for the fun of it.

Source: http://bbs.ngacn.cc/read.php?tid=6656376&rand=361

Disclaimer: This is pretty obviously all fanmade.

Note: I'm changing some of the Engrishy terms to more accurate translations of the Chinese ones, as the original poster's English is subpar and some of the names lost their meaning in translation.
    True or false this was all a good read, regardless.

The rewrite of the translation certainly makes this look a little bit more legitimate, but I just can't see this being true. It sounds like a poorly thought out fan fiction.

There may be a few aspects of this that are true (lucky guesses), but I really don't think this will be the contents of the next expansion.
    Jazzhands <Sacred Samophlange>, 6/14H, US-Skywall
    "Query? What do you think I'm here for, tea and biscuits? Spill the beans already!"

If this is what they come out with one simple request - free race change for all alliance players cause that side would be dead lore wise.

Quote Originally Posted by vandam View Post
    Seems a new Onixya is being born .

Garosh Hellscream . For the 2nd time the end boss of an expansion . And I can bet that next time will also be merely a setback , because they will need it to be also the boss for the 6th expansion.
    Eventually we will kill it in the 6th expansion and will return as Undead Garosh as the final boss in 7th expansion.

I can't wait.

And DeathWing for the 2nd time ? Why not the 3rd time too ? I have a great ideea : a fight versus 3 dragons at once : DeathWing+Undead Nefarian+Undead Onixya.
    Something very original.
    The Undead-Undead Onyxia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Travio View Post
    But the entry point into this alternate timeline is before many of these events occurred, so the results of them never happened.
    While I understand the general point attempted, like with Guldan and fel magic, it goes on an assumption that an alternate time line will be anything remotely similar to our own. This is a fallacy. Anything is possible in another time line. This is why I am almost disgusted with the thought of it being used as an actual plot device for WoW.

People are thinking this is just going back in time, but timelines are akin to alternate realities. This is why the lines will collide. They are two possibilities of what happened converging in one fixed point.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    And now, some of the more glaring inconsistencies off the top of my head.

1. Unless I'm mistaken, the Stormreaver Clan wasn't formed until after Gul'dan came to Azeroth.

2. Gul'dan didn't learn his evil magics until Kil'jaeden started teaching him.

3. Deathwing didn't flee to Outland until between the First and Second Wars. He also couldn't get to Outland without the Dark Portal.

4. Without the Legion's influence, Medivh would never have learned of the orcs. Without the cooperation of Medivh-Sargeras on the Azeroth side, the Dark Portal would not have been built. Without the Dark Portal, the orcs couldn't invade the Eastern Kingdoms.
    Other than the inconsistencies you point out, your explanation in your previous post gives the plot a lot of sense and consistency. I'd play it, that's for sure.

However, I just don't see them going with a plot focused on Garrosh again, even if he's not the actual main threat, it's a lot of focus on him. Even though I would be totally fine with that... I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't. I guess we'll see soon enough what it'll be about, but thanks a lot for your translation, it had me excited while reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

15+ Year Old Account
    While I understand the general point attempted, like with Guldan and fel magic, it goes on an assumption that an alternate time line will be anything remotely similar to our own. This is a fallacy. Anything is possible in another time line. This is why I am almost disgusted with the thought of it being used as an actual plot device for WoW.

People are thinking this is just going back in time, but timelines are akin to alternate realities. This is why the lines will collide. They are two possibilities of what happened converging in one fixed point.
    All right - let's assume that, somehow, the Stormreavers exist and Gul'dan has his fel magic. The Burning Legion's attention has been turned away from Draenor.

How does Deathwing end up there? It was the Burning Legion's plan that opened the Dark Portal - it required work from both sides, with a Sargaras-controlled Medivh opening it from Azeroth's side for the sole purpose of pushing forth the Burning Legion's plan of an invasion of Azeroth. Deathwing's eventual roost on Draenor came about because of his workings with the Horde on Azeroth - he retreated to Draenor during the Second War. This entire section... pretty much can't happen in the proposed alternate timeline, unless Garrosh finds someone in Azeroth able to help open the Dark Portal - but how can he when he's stuck on the Draenor side?
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

In The Burning Crusade we resolved Illidans face.

In Wrath of the Lick King we brought Arthas to justoce.

In Cataclysm we broke Death wing's elementium chin.

The fact is in every expansion so far we resolved the story that we were sold.

If MoP spills over into another expansion that's betrayal right there. It means for the first time we were sold an incomplete expansion.

So if WoD is the second half of the Garrosh saga it better damn well not require a box sale. Because I already paid for killing Garrosh when I bought MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Travio View Post
    All right - let's assume that, somehow, the Stormreavers exist and Gul'dan has his fel magic. The Burning Legion's attention has been turned away from Draenor.

How does Deathwing end up there?
    But that's just the thing, I don't need to answer those questions. Additional realities are infinitely possible. That's the whole concept of alternate time lines. It's also 100% why I don't like the idea for WoW. Stating 'this hasn't happened or can't happen' because of a basis in the time line we are in is irrelevant. All things have happened and not happened throughout all possibilities of time. As a literary device, it's an artistic license for anything goes which I'm not fond of in this scenario.
    BAD WOLF

You know, the more of these "leaks" I'm seeing, the more I'm starting to think WoD not only isn't the next expansion, but MMO champ is actually in cahoots with Blizz this time to draw focus away from the real deal in order to make it an actual surprise, something I know Blizzard has wanted to do for a long time.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of Garrosh being the villain again would be a neat one, and it would be a refreshing change of pace from the mold of "Monster of a day" we've gotten with the expansions in the past. But on the same page, all of this sounds just to heavily fan-based, and I'm starting to question if WoD it's self is even the expansion anymore because of it.

The timing of the trade mark was a bit too convenient anyways with how quickly the trademark was made right after the forum post of WoD popped up, and while I do want to trust Boub, he made a huge mistake with The Dark Below, sounding quite confident it was the expansion as well, and yet here we are.

At this point, I think it's best for all of us to just sit back, relax, and wait for Friday. Maybe it is WoD, and maybe all of this leakage is true. But maybe it's not, and if it's not, it could be one of the bigget surprises Blizzard has pulled off in a long time, and at the end of the day, maybe that's the point.

This was NOT from the original leak source and has been confirmed to be fake.