Building for a friend, $1k budget, looking for some suggestions

The budget isn't really set at $1k. He plans on asking different family members to buy a different parts for a computer for christmas, but around $1k for everything is probably about where it should be kept at.

He's always been a strictly console player, so this will be his first computer but he does a lot of gaming, so it should be geared towards gaming.

I know he'll need a windows key, a case, and everything that goes in the case to make it a computer. I'm not so concerned about peripherals right now, and I think he plans on using his TV as his primary monitor.

I can build the computer, but I don't keep up with the technology and prices to be able to piece together a computer as well as a lot of you guys can, so I'm here asking for advice.

I want to be able to overclock the CPU for him, I doubt he'll ever care about sli/crossfire, and when it comes to intel vs amd or nvidia vs amd I don't have a preference. Whatever is best right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    So you are wanting a steambox more or less right? Help us help you by filling out this
    Include the following information when posting a request.

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Budget - Around $1k
    Resolution - 1920x1080 would be best I guess, but I don't know. He plans on playing on a big screen TV, but he might realize it's a bad idea when he tries it, or he might not care at all.
    Games / Settings Desired - High/Ultra settings, most often it's FPS games
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - None
    Country - America
    Parts that can be reused - None, Building his first computer from scratch so he needs everything. A disk drive, a hard drive, psu, everything...
    Do you need an OS? - Yup, he's got windows 8 on his laptop so windows 8 is fine.
    Do you need peripherals - Not too concerned about these right now, and this type of stuff I can help him with myself.