Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    The warrior's heir. Its a fantasy in modern day time, and one of my favorite books.

Anything by Iain Banks or his sci-fi persona Iain M. Banks (in particular the Culture novels).

Hugh Cooks Chronicles of an Age of Darkness also well worth a look imo.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lol, might pick one of those :P

----------------

Thanks a lot for the suggestions people. Gotta make my mind up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    DresdenCrack... uh, I mean, Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
    Combines Urban Fantasy and a Noir style detective feel - they're action packed, a lot of fun and very addictive.
    Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch, first book is The Lies of Locke Lamora. I've read 2 of them so far and I'm thoroughly enjoying them.
    If you want to try some sci-fi, I'll echo the Dune recommendations and add Stranger in a Strange Land and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein (they're separate, unconnected stories, they just happen to be my two favourites of his).
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame6 View Post
    https://kindle.amazon.com/work/world...LII/B000W93CHC Is good in that it's historical fiction and you can learn some semi-realistic history about places in the UK
    pillars of the earth is far better than world without end which is just a rehashed story of the first but not as good

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Hello, lately I am flying a bit low and I think that I should find something to distract me before I crash.

I would like to read my first English book (other than those when we were kids...) but I am all out of ideas.

I like:

-Long books. Anything is okay, but I like when they have a lot of pages.
    -I was thinking in something about war, fantasy of real world related, I'd prefer fantasy to be honest, kind of Warcraft style. Worse case, if it can't be fantasy based I'd like a mixture of Tom Clancy books and fantasy, I'm not quite sure about what I do want, that's why I am asking for good books!

-I am open to all kind of styles too, if I can learn something from the book then that's more than welcome therefore something philosophical would also be welcome.

Can you please suggest me a good book?
    a few thoughts, military fantasy -

1) A Cruel Wind (first dread empire trilogy in one volume) by Glen Cook - military fantasy stuck in a world resembling middle-age europe/near east/arabia. This author also wrote black company series, though world there is more completely fantasy, the stories themselves are much more military/war related. Also see stand-alone novel The Tower of Fear by same author, set in a fantasy world loosely resembling post-2nd punic war carthage (not exactly)...

Garden of the Moon - Erikson - first of a 10+ volume series, but it is most definitely military fantasy. If you go this route, at least give it to page 270 or whatever for various unattached plot threads to begin to converge.

Anything by Joe Abercrombie - he writes military fantasy, and does it well.

Poul Anderson did a whole bunch of historical and semi-historical/fantasy writing based on mostly norse history and myth, but other european stories as well - there is a heavy martial component to most of these
    norse stories -
    Hrolf Kraki's saga
    war of the gods,
    the last viking trilogy (harald hardraada, historical fiction)
    three hearts three lions (not norse, but french/something?)
    some time patrol stories are set in romano-germanic europe (e.g. 1st-5th centuries ad)
    anderson wrote a surprising number of stories set in semi-historical europe.

as far as learning something, I have read quite a bit as a layman enthusiast about the above time periods (in anderson's books) and it is very clear to me that he was VERY well informed and well-read on the subject. If you read his stories set in historical/mythic europe, you will most definitely learn something.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2013-11-13 at 05:16 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke, perhaps?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    They were already mentioned but I figured I'd reiterate - both Way of Kings by Sanderson and Garden of the Moon by Erikson are interesting reads. Erikson's book is far more fantastical - more magical ideas, people, etc.. but IMO Sanderson's book is a better story, more character driven. These are both epic fantasy series, although Erikson's can be read as a stand alone and be satisfying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Malazan Book of the Fallen by steven erikson, 10 book long epic. starts with Gardens of the Moon.. just be prepared to not know wtf is going on and just read anyway.

The Death Gate Cycle (starting with the book: Dragon Wing) I always thought was an excellent series.

But "good" is merely a matter of opinion.

Also even if you don't like anything else from Dragonlance, or regardless of your opinion of Knaak: The Legend of Huma was an awesome book.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

Man's Search For Meaning

Deleted
    Personally I love the Song of Ice and Fire series (George R. R. Martin), Sword of Truth series (Terry Goodkind) and the Eragon series (Christopher Paolini). The last one has elves, dwarves, werecats and dragons. Doesn't have Orcs but they do have Urgals, very cool race imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Orik View Post
    and the Eragon series (Christopher Paolini).
    been meaning to continue the series. first book was good. movie was not.

I'll put up Redemption of Althalus (as I usually do in these kinda threads). Its a lengthy 'one-off', thats fairly similar to the belgariad and mallorean... which will give you a LOT of reading time.

'American gods' by Neil Gaiman.
    really anything by Neil Gaiman is great, if a little bit odd or mind-bending.

Deleted

reviews of books: find in a minute the book you would like by looking at a map

Here you can find optimal suggestions: thebooksmap dot blogspot dot com

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    Magician by Raymond E Feist, great book can be read as a stand alone or as part of a massive series spanning 30 something books.