Question Malkorok HM and the Ice Block when soaking a void

Hi,

I am not sure of a certain point during the encounter of Malkorok 25HM.

When soaking a void zone, is it okay to run in the void and then stand in it while activating the Ice Block?

I know for a fact that you are indeed considered inside the void zone even if you are immune, so that it does not blow up the entire raid.

However, my question is about the sharing of the damages when there are more than one people soaking.
    E.g. we are two in the void zone, I do Ice Block. Is the damage shared between the both of us and I take none since I'm in my IB, or since I am Immune the other player takes all of the damage?

In both cases, it is stupid to go when a Mage is already soaking with IB. But I was wondering how lethal it would be if there is a sync problem between me and another player going while I am in IB ready to soak.

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    A quick wowhead search (or, you know, the ingame dungeon journal) reveals that the damage from Imploding Energy is NOT split. All players inside take the same amount of damage regardless of the number inside. Thus, your hypothetical other raider will take the usual amount of damage.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    And also now we can design gear to show off the male human high res nipples/chest hair.

I recommend using ice barrier to soak the voids. If you drop your shield by mistake then you should use ice block, but save it for that situation.

There's no reason to have two raiders soak the void. Both players take the full damage of the void, and it's not shared/split between them. Just Ice Barrier or Temporal Shield it. Barrier is a lot safer, but I personally prefer the heal from TS to go back into my shield. All depends on how much of a shield you actually have, and how low your HP is.

Quote Originally Posted by espoire View Post
    A quick wowhead search (or, you know, the ingame dungeon journal) reveals that the damage from Imploding Energy is NOT split. All players inside take the same amount of damage regardless of the number inside. Thus, your hypothetical other raider will take the usual amount of damage.
    Your answer would have been quicker and nicer without the condescending part :P
    Sorry I missed a part (which is really important I admit) of the skill , won't happen again!
    Anyway, thanks for the additional information And thank for taking the time to answer also

As for Lyreth and Sym answers, yes sure! I do use Ice Barrier rather than TS on this fight, from my experience even if it is nice to have the healing back in the Miasm Shield, full raid buff and with the many different procs, I can manage Ice Barriers between 170k and 320k+ which is... well... tremendous. I bet if the stars align, even if it's not good DPS effective, having 10 stacks of BBoY plus PBoI would probably reach 360k+.

Thanks for the clear answers from all of you!
    Last edited by Psychokwak; 2013-11-11 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Orthograph :(

Quote Originally Posted by espoire View Post
    Read: Retards who blindly enter your void are fucking stupid and you curse at them without holding down your press-to-talk key about how stupid they are.

Or do what I do and leave the void when you see them running for it. Why take damage if they're going to soak it anyways?

@OP: Damage isn't split so if some retard enters your void, they're gonna be hit for no reason. Sucks to suck I guess, but as a Mage, just worry about yourself on that fight. If someone enters your void, just leave it because chances are, they won't. (Also, Mages have the lowest Health and damage taken from repeating sources, so try to get someone else to do it anyways )
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

True!

And I am already taking care of the Orbs as a mage under GI, so generally other people are on priority regarding the soaking of the voids

I'm pretty sure that Temporal Shield only works if you lose health so is basically useless on this fight unless you're doing something very very wrong. Go Ice Barrier no matter what.

You should have no issues soaking voids with a full shield and Ice Barrier can be used if your shield is a little bit lacking, Ice Block should be saved for if you absolutely need to soak and have piss all shield left or if you're comfortable with your healers, you can use it to remain in your spot when Breath of Y'Shaarj is cast.

In regards to more than one player soaking, no the damage isn't split so while it may not be ideal it's still much better to have two players in there than none. Try and coordinate having only one player but don't risk both of you running out because you think the other person is going to handle it. If in doubt over whether someone else is going to make it, just Blink in (assuming your shield is suitable and if it isn't too strong supplement it with Ice Barrier, Ice Block or you can use a Health Stone to boost it a bit).

I used Temporal Shield this past week and I found it was better than Ice Block. Temporal Shield heals up any and all damage you take it doesn't matter if your health bar moved or not. You take damage from Imploding Energy(the void zone), you just don't lose health since you have double an effective health pool with the shield. Thus temporal shield will allow you to get your shield back up halfway which means your helping your healers out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vedel View Post
    I used Temporal Shield this past week and I found it was better than Ice Block. Temporal Shield heals up any and all damage you take it doesn't matter if your health bar moved or not. You take damage from Imploding Energy(the void zone), you just don't lose health since you have double an effective health pool with the shield. Thus temporal shield will allow you to get your shield back up halfway which means your helping your healers out.
    Sure, except for the fact the logs disagree with you. You used Temporal Shield twice, and didn't get Temporal Ripples at all or have any heals from it? I'll have to test the way the Temporal Ripples buff itself interacts with shields and not taking damage tonight, though I don't think I'm wrong about it being worse on Malkorok. Temporal Shield only helps with healing you back up if you go below your Ancient Barrier, this has been the conclusion that most Mages have reached. Of course the 15% damage reduction may be useful, but the fact is Ice Barrier is simply better on this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
    Sure, except for the fact the logs disagree with you. You used Temporal Shield twice, and didn't get Temporal Ripples at all or have any heals from it? I'll have to test the way the Temporal Ripples buff itself interacts with shields and not taking damage tonight, though I don't think I'm wrong about it being worse on Malkorok. Temporal Shield only helps with healing you back up if you go below your Ancient Barrier, this has been the conclusion that most Mages have reached. Of course the 15% damage reduction may be useful, but the fact is Ice Barrier is simply better on this fight.
    Temporal Ripples does heal you but there's a difference on Malkorok: the healing received applies towards your shield, not your health. You will lose the HP on impact. Ice Barrier will win on this fight.

Should you choose to use Temporal Shield and you have to soak 3 zones in a row I suggest using this order as it's going to hurt your HP more and more each soak: 1st Void Zone - Temporal Shield. 2nd Void Zone - Greater Invis/Ice Block. 3rd Void Zone - Greater Invis/Ice Block (whichever you didn't use on 2nd). The name of the game is keeping your effective health as high as possible.

Ideally you shouldn't have to soak 3 in a row but the above seems to work without issue. If using Ice Barrier then pop it along with Greater Invis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    If someone enters your void, just leave it because chances are, they won't. (Also, Mages have the lowest Health and damage taken from repeating sources, so try to get someone else to do it anyways )
    This is easily the worst advice you can give on this fight, hands down.

If you are soaking a pool and another person comes into it by mistake, DO NOT LEAVE. It is them that is at fault for taking extra damage but that does not warrant you leaving the pool. If you leave and think "Oh it's ok he will soak it" and at the same time he thinks the same thing, guess what, you just wiped the raid because neither of you were in the pool.

At no point in this fight should you assume someone else will stay inside a pool to soak. If you are in there and have stuff going to soak, then soak it.

Also, Iceblock is fine and it counts you as being in the pool. I like to use glyph of iceblock so I can double tap my block macro to use and break it quickly and still dps while soaking, with no damage taken.

Edit- TS is poo for this fight. On 25h it only blocks around 65K damage, from the 15% reduction, and the healing only applies to your shield, which should be no major issue anyways. My Ice Barrier, with no procs up, absorbs for 120k+ easily. It's a pretty clear choice. Oh and don't use the "But it requires a GCD!" argument, the enrage is tight but it's not that tight.
    Last edited by Saegno; 2013-11-12 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

As for us we simply created a macro "/s I'm soaking this one !!", binded easily so you can spam and move/use your spell with no harm. Then, it's politeness
    It helped clarifying the situation, cause you know, Teamspeak is ok but with 7 voids to soak, a plain macro is better!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just use temporal shield if your shield is up. For "oh fuck"-situations you can use GI or ice block. You won't wipe the raid.

Deleted
    The damage from the void zones isn't lethal if you even have an orange shield, so if either of your teammates runs inside a voidzone you're already soaking with or without iceblock, whilst having a red shield/no shield, it's their problem. They would've died even if you didn't iceblock, so therefor they're retarded.

Also, you can Ice Block inside the void zone without it blowing up. You're still considered as "being inside it".

I don't know if that was a good answer or not.

shit happens, save your iceblock in case you accidentally hit an orb right before soaking. otherwise , use ice barrier and let your healers do their job