Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulled View Post

Hmmm....Me thinks we got screwed. Not just screwed. Turned over and screwed without even a kiss or a callback.

Still to early to tell but part of me is with Trassk. Something wrong will happen that Blizz will royally screw up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Since you all like repeating that, I'll just repeat this:
    You can't reduce everything by the same percentage.
    No, and thats why the numbers will be adjusted accordingly.
    Thats what beta tests are for.
    Chronomancer Club

15+ Year Old Account
    Mobs would need to be scaled down by a different percent, yes, but it would still be a constant % for all things (well, maybe diff percent for each expac).

Calculating the numbers to nerf the bosses/mobs to keep things the same is not hard.

The hard part is implementing that and getting every little tiny detail right - there are tens of thousands of NPC spells to change and not all of that can be scripted change.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    That's far more drastic than I expected. Really concerned about how this will work at max level now, never mind in old content.
    It's pretty easy to understand how old content will work, they will probably crunch it with the same percent for the appropriate levels something like say :

60-70 = 50% stat squish, instances and mobs by 50%
    70-80 = 60% stat squish, instances and mobs by 60%

They can also choose to buff you to the appropriate values, but I think that will be too confusing for most people.

10+ Year Old Account
    People critting for hundreds of thousands of damage, tanks with 1 mil hp, 200k dps isn't even special? Maybe I'm not power hungry enough to understand, but I don't know why anyone thinks these numbers are reasonable. Vanilla, BC, and WLK felt like a fairly logical stat progression, but things got really insane in Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria. I don't really think it's easy to parse the numbers that come on the screen. We have to round them in our head, and then what's the point? We see 5 digits starting with an 8 and we think 80,000 but we don't really process the last 4 digits all that much. I support the item squish! In 2 to 4 years will be back at these monolithic stat levels (probably) so if you want to feel like a god, you probably will one day eventually.

Item Squish is just scaling the numbers down to something reasonable and readable.

Since everything will scale down - nothing will change regarding difficulty.
    You will still kill equal level mob with same speed. You will still be able to solo old content with equal speed and efficiency.
    If everything (damage, stats, mob damage, mob health) is scaled down by the same % amount - NOTHING CHANGES! (except for numbers that will be easier to comprehend)

You were hitting a mob with 230 234 729 HP for 97 964 721 damage.
    After you'll be hitting a mob with 230 HP for 98 damage.

This is elementary school math. How is this an issue for some people? Why are we even discussing this?

No. They said that starting levels might be weird when you're hitting a 5hp mob with your 1-1 dagger, but everything after that will seem much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really rather stoked for the changes coming this expansion. If only they would find a way to get people out into the world as opposed to sitting in queue from the capital cities.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

There are a lot of aspects of wow that could be improved upon. IMO if you're thinking back and saying to yourself, "Man, wow was alot more fun when my mainhand weapon only had 60 strength on it and is a lot less fun now that it has 2,000 str" you're looking in the wrong places to make changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooneyguy View Post
    I honestly dont see the point in item squishing. If you honestly have a problem with "big numbers" set your UI to round off the last few digits. suddenly that 430,000,000 HP boss has 430.0m HP and you can feel great when each of your crits hit for .2m. Does it honestly make a difference? The only way item squishing will realistically make a difference is when you compare the stats on end game level characters and those stuck back at level 60. Could blizzard implement additional changes or scaling or shit to make it so you can still solo old level content on your endgame main? of course they could but its just extra complexity added to a system that, IMO, doesnt need any fixing.
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/08/24/it...ext-expansion/ explains the technical aspects.
    and yes determination/icc style buffs has already been proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    blizzard won't drop support for 32bit client though.
    Since people seem to misunderstand... You can use 64-bit integers in a 32-bit program, it just isn't as efficient. The main difference between 32/64-bit for something like WoW's client just comes in how much memory is addressable, especially as the vast majority of the math calculations that could possibly involve huge integers are done server-side.

The big reasons for a stat squish are largely for readability (140 000 is easier to understand at-a-glance than 3 500 000) and just so they don't have to redo all their data types -- this, regardless of processor architecture, can be a pretty big undertaking. This is especially true if player stats are in danger of passing the limits of their data types in the database. Trying to change the data types for millions and millions of characters all in one day of maintenance on 6.0 pre-patch day? Shudder.

Deleted
    It still mentions Expertise, I'm not sure it is the definite TT for that weapon. Numbers looks low but perhaps because all weapons and stats were inflated way too much by the end of MoP. Just hope those can be improved with reforging or something, or they will end weaker than the Sun Well weapons (?)

Quote Originally Posted by GROGtheNailer View Post
    Item squish is great news, I will be re-subbing for sure now.
    So big numbers are the reason you weren't subbed? Pretty stupid reason if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Mobs would need to be scaled down by a different percent, yes, but it would still be a constant % for all things (well, maybe diff percent for each expac).
    Exactly. Simply nerfing everything by 96% isn't going to work. Since the squish starts at level 60 (there is no need to scale down before that point) it would mean that a lvl 60 would be nerfed by 96%, while a lvl 59 isn't. You need a difference percentage not just for every level, but for every gearlevel too.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's times like these that make me wish the only thing were pissing and moaning about were pandas.....

Quote Originally Posted by Orcindauh View Post
    So big numbers are the reason you weren't subbed? Pretty stupid reason if you ask me.
    No, you may not say such things on these forums. You may only say it's retarded to unsub because of the squish.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    I think this is scaling to do older content, because these stats are simply impossible in WoW at level 90. Seriously, think about it... 61 STR at level 90... what will you have at level 20? -10 STR? This is not the squish (although it will happen).
    Do you think before you type? Obviously it won't affect the lower levels as much, if at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    with a 95% reduction a full heroic character should have anywhere between 32-40k health pool and 16-20k DPS

so how much stats would a ilvl 60 weapon have then?

Exactly. Simply nerfing everything by 96% isn't going to work. Since the squish starts at level 60 (there is no need to scale down before that point) it would mean that a lvl 60 would be nerfed by 96%, while a lvl 59 isn't. You need a difference percentage not just for every level, but for every gearlevel too.
    Lo. No. Your logic and your math are flawed.