Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Are all faces going to be identical now then?

Ok, so we're all excited about the updated character models, and its a long time coming, we've needed this for a while.

But, something I thought when looking at the preview faces, of like, the forsaken for example:

now, well the detailing on the forsaken update is really good, drasticly, compared to there old model, there is something that makes me twitch about it.

Look at the difference. Can you spot it?

Apart from the fact the new one looks better and now has actual eyes instead of just glowing balls, can you see what I mean?

Can't yet? Well, lets look at a face call of pandaren faces for another example, since the graphic style of the pandaren matches that of the new updated models in terms of quality.

Do you see it?

What I see, is well the actual quality of the face with the pandaren is a much much higher quality then anything from vanilla wow models, and even that of the draenei and blood elves.. something is missing from the options we have.

All the faces of the pandaren, and what looks like all the faces of the updated forsaken model, are all identical.

They, have gave things to disguise this fact, but its dam clear its there. Pandaren all share the same face, all that is different on them are the fur markings and color, but there is nothing to really show any difference between characters.

Now, looking at the forsaken older model, and then looking at the updated one, this is an issue I have with it. The 'differenent features' for each forsaken face, is in no way dramatic enough to make it look like one face is different to the other. There eyes, jaw line, nose, cheeks, brow, ears, everything about this is identical, with only some small altered features like missing skin on the cheek, or on the jaw.

What we're seeing here then, is where blizzard gave us updated models, with better animations, texture and movement, what they seemed to sacrifice is facial characteristics, things we choose for our characters when we first made them years ago.

I realized something, from playing mists of pandaria. I could recognize certain orc or tauren or, even with alliance, human or gnome, there facial features, seeing how different they all looked. Look at the orcs face for example.

There is no chance you can say they look the same. you could even name the faces, young face, warlock face, pissed of warrior face, old man face. This is what gave those unique touches to when I was choosing my characters first time around, giving an identity to them.

however, when i look at pandaren guys running around, honestly.. I can't tell them apart. The only difference might be there fur colour, but apart from that, there features are so small a different on pandaren, unlike the older vanilla faces, its jarring how I can't tell the difference between a more recent modeled character, compared to a near ten year old characters face.

And this is the worry I have, having all our characters looking near enough identical, just with different hair color or facial hair.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Don't quite get what you mean but, that Forsaken face is the same face, and then with different features added to it.

Forsaken can change their jaws, and such at the creation screen and the barber, it's called features.

Actually, I get what he means, and now that he pointed it out I'm kind of worried

Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    Don't quite get what you mean but, that Forsaken face is the same face, and then with different features added to it.

Forsaken can change their jaws, and such at the creation screen and the barber, it's called features.
    This is probably the correct answer. I noticed the same thing but the forsaken example, it APPEARS they use have different features rather than faces.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just thought that the forsaken face was the same, but the little extra's were different. I can't remember what it is called in the create a character screen, but you can change little details like the leather straps, the iron jaw, you can have no jaw etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't matter, new models are shiny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post

what I want you to do is this. Take a hand, and put it between you field of vision and that of the lower half of the new forsaken updated model, just for the top three faces.

Now, do the same thing with the old vanilla model forsaken faces.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure they aren't getting rid of the "face" option.

Pandaren were probably hard to design differing facial appearances for. (Or Blizzard was lazy.)

I'm hopeful we'll have fine facial options for the new models.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baladash View Post
    This is probably the correct answer. I noticed the same thing but the forsaken example, it APPEARS they use have different features rather than faces.
    Think.

When they release the 'faces' for the races to come, lets say, your favorite race, and you suddenly realize they all have the same face but only different features.. what will be your reaction then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post

Pandaren were probably hard to design differing facial appearances for. (Or Blizzard was lazy.)

The old forsaken faces had different expressions. The new ones don't. They all look to have the same expression on there faces, just with different bits of skin fallen off.

Thats not a different face, its just a different feature.
    #boycottchina

I noticed that when I watched the character creation vids. I'm hoping they'll add other face options or, even better, options for eyes color, wrinkles, and other facial features that the original models' face options covered. I understand that it's hard work for them to make all these new skeletons and everything, but they need to make sure that the faces will have plenty of variation.

I'm also annoyed by the cute-looking male tauren face they had. Seriously those puppy eyes will not sit well with my menacing gray-eyed black-furred shaman.

Remember we're still 9-12 months away from release, so the concepts are still fairly early and minimal in diversity.
    Last edited by Redlokyldoreifanggore; 2013-11-11 at 07:33 PM.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post

The old forsaken faces had different expressions. The new ones don't. They all look to have the same expression on there faces, just with different bits of skin fallen off.

Thats not a different face, its just a different feature.
    And that's just a concept example. Why do you assume that this is the only thing they're going to do?

there's always been one face, as in model, for each race. what changed where the textures and features. same then and with the revamp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Faces and features are two different options. They were clearly just showing a single face with multiple feature options, perhaps because they haven't yet completed other faces, of perhaps because they were trying to showcase the features.

I'm pretty sure that they just showed what they had done up to this point, there could be more some months down the line.

Deleted
    Beast races are harder to create unique faces for without getting really wacky and exaggerated. So that explains the lack of Pandaren faces. As for the new models, they're simply not done yet.

Also, is it just me or do the new models look significantly better than the Pandaren? To the point where the Pandaren now look very outdated?

10+ Year Old Account
    And that's just a concept example. Why do you assume that this is the only thing they're going to do?
    I'm hoping bloody well thats all it is tbh. I'm basing the assumption on whats we've seen, but if they work on it more and give us different faces along with features thats fine.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    what I want you to do is this. Take a hand, and put it between you field of vision and that of the lower half of the new forsaken updated model, just for the top three faces.

Now, do the same thing with the old vanilla model forsaken faces.
    The updated model showcased the safe face with different features on it. Your example of the old model has both different face and different features on it.

This^

But thank you for making me a little worried >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    The updated model showcased the safe face with different features on it. Your example of the old model has both different face and different features on it.
    lets just hope thats all it is then.

Do we really all want to have the same faces as each other after all?
    #boycottchina

Someone asked a similar question in the Q&A panel, they said they just showed a sample of what was done and all the option versions are getting the same treatment ( so faces/features/hair etc) So you'll have all the choice you have now with nice new models.