10+ Year Old Account

(Mage) Portals from and to Draenor in WoD

With Dreanor in WoD actually being in a different timeline then where we are the question presents itsself what this will mean for (Mage) portals.

Far as I know the whole premise of WoD is that this is a unique never seen before problem that we have a portal that connects between different times. It's not normally supposed to happen. If that is indeed true then basic (Mage) portals to and from Azeroth in our timeline shouldn't actually work, cause they would be opening a rift not just between places (as they do now) but also in time (between the Draenor timeline and current day Azeroth). Unless the whole process of connecting realities is actually a really simple process, in which case what happened to cause WoD isn't actually all that unique and we are in for a lot of shit cause there's plenty of bad apples in the world that would create other portals to go places and connect them to our time to cause havoc.

So either it should be a unique occurance and normal portals shouldn't work or it's so easy that every Mage can do it by porting from Dreanor back to current day Azeroth meaning we're in for more of these time rifts to occur (logically).

Seriously though, it is unlikely that Blizz would remove the ability to use and make Mage portals from Draenor (and if they did there would be a LOUD outcry to change it) so we are kind of by default going to have the lore in game that mage portals can connect between places that are in different timelines.

I'm not sure that's the kind of minor thing we should just gloss over as "that's just game mechanics". I mean powerful adventurers (meaning us) having the ability to create fantastic portals is 1 thing, and easily enough put under "game mechanics". Having the type of portal place we have currently in the Shrine, for instance, that goes beyond that I feel and kinda makes it something that should be explained by lore.

So, thoughts on this portal dilemma? Do you feel Blizzard should do something with this, perhaps not make portals between Draenor and Azeroth, like they apparently have in mind to not allow flying for a while? Should they just give some lore explanation for it and go about business as usual?

10+ Year Old Account
    There will probably be a quest or some shit where a bronze dragon dude teaches mages how to create time portals to draenor and back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simple answer. They have mages learn time-space magic, and boom, portal.
    #boycottchina

City portals are a key component of the mage kit. The devs don't care about all that time travel stuff, they wanted to create old draenor so that's what they did. I expect they'll give mages portals too, whether it logically makes sense or not.

Since we are now linked to Draenor, it'd be no different than making a portal to Outland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tunnel mage portals through the Red Dark Portal. Stick some focusing crystals on both sides or something.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-11-12 at 03:11 AM.

Deleted
    Mages allready has the abillity to Alter Time. Besides when they can instantly teleport people from point to point and thus defying relativity, im thinking that targeting places in both time and space would be the a triviel task. I doubt level 100 Mages are thinking in liniear time.

Only reason i could se them disabling Ports and HeartStones would be for design reasons. For example if they want alot of traffic around the gate to encourage world pvp or such.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

But in all seriousness, probably picking up a few things from the Bronzes and figuring out how to sync up with Draenor...? I dunno!