Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

First Build - Need advice on deciding parts

I've never built a computer, but I'm looking to replace my current PC for gaming, and Video editting. I've had a few thoughts on it, but not too much and was just looking for an opinion on what parts I should decide on, and a few questions. Or just one.

Is an I7 processor much better then I5 for gaming? Or is it relatively similar

$2000 Budget
    1920x1080
    60 FPS or greater in high performing games such as Battlefield 4.
    I use programs such as Sony Vegas Pro, and Record ingame footage via fraps.
    Australia
    No reusable parts
    No OS Required
    No Peripherals Required

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($264.00 @ CPL Online)
    CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($145.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.00 @ CPL Online)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($188.00 @ CPL Online)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card ($699.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($135.00 @ CPL Online)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Total: $1795.00
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-13 16:21 EST+1100)

This is an option you can go with. It has an AMD card, so if you prefer Nvidia, you could go to the 780Ti, which runs about $140 more in AUD.

I am not really sure about fraps, so maybe someone else can chime in here (maybe the i7 is worth it for Fraps and Vegas Pro? I am not sure)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quick reply, from the look of it the parts look as I kind of would've expected. I've generally only used Nvidia cards (from pre-build pcs), but AMD ones are generally cheaper in australia, and the 290x is a decent card from what i've heard.

I'm probably going to go with a 2TB Hard drive, Should I stick with Western Digital for that too? Also with the memory, I'm guessing 16gb is still a bit overkill?

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Well, there is a drawback to getting the 290x at the moment. That is the cooler. It is pretty much shite. I would wait till vendor coolers come out (Gigabyte Windforce, Asus DCII (or equivalent) etc).

You can get a 2TB drive from another company as well. The WD Blue is a pretty good drive for 1TB, but you have to spend a good amount more to get a decently performing Black or downgrade and go to a Green, which both come in 2TB while the Blue does not.

As for RAM, 16GB is not necessary for gaming. I cannot tell you for sure if it would really help in Vegas or Fraps.

Also, to touch on your question in OP, the i5 is nearly identical to the i7 for gaming purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    Well, there is a drawback to getting the 290x at the moment. That is the cooler. It is pretty much shite. I would wait till vendor coolers come out (Gigabyte Windforce, Asus DCII (or equivalent) etc).

You can get a 2TB drive from another company as well. The WD Blue is a pretty good drive for 1TB, but you have to spend a good amount more to get a decently performing Black or downgrade and go to a Green, which both come in 2TB while the Blue does not.

As for RAM, 16GB is not necessary for gaming. I cannot tell you for sure if it would really help in Vegas or Fraps.

Also, to touch on your question in OP, the i5 is nearly identical to the i7 for gaming purposes.
    1) Agreed on the cooler, especially in a temperate-hot climate such as Australia;
    2) Barracuda is fine, but it lacks the warranty of the WD Green or Caviar Black;
    3) It's necessary for Vegas and helpful for FRAPS, though the RAM speed is more important for video editing than it is for gaming;
    4) Yep - there are remarkably few games that can handle hyperthreading enough to warrant the i7, though it may be more helpful with the editing software you have.