Voters
2563. This poll is closed
  • Started Old School Vanilla

2,033 79.32%
  • Came in the later days BCS or Later

530 20.68%
Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Started 2 Weeks after release due to limited supply at stores.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    Classes were UNIQUE
    Unique, you mean like how each one got stomped by Assa Rogues and Soul Link Warlocks in a slightly different time frame?

Started playing about a week after launch. Dont think the game will ever quite recapture that epic feeling of exploring the world for the very first time, and seeing stuff like the Giant Dwarf statues attached to the sides of mountains (first character was a dwarf hunter, who i got to like level 5 then swapped to Undead mage and never went back), but it keeps trying, and often nearly succeeding :P

Lots of crazy memories from there. 10 man stratholm wipe fests. Seeing a warrior do 300 damage to a 1 HP rat (white hit proccing windfury proccing sword spec proccing windfury back to back). Tarren mills back and forth gankathons. Raiding MC as a fire mage (yeah, that was a dumb idea, but hey, i spend most of the time casting decurse / dampen magic anyway....) I remember silithus when it wasnt even a complete zone (half the mobs in there didnt even have loot tables for most of Vanilla).

i did. i got to raid a bit but didnt get very far (couldnt put in to time and i was in like...a tertiary team to farm molten gear for, they often replaced me with more core members for the last few bosses that too)

I never got into naxx and got a little Anq stuff done (very little but the nightmare was still fun). I spent so much time in sylathus it isnt even funny

I utterly hated the argent dawn rep. fronds fronds fronds. all those undead tokens..failed stratruns. so many failed stratholme groups.

I was on my rogue. Pvp wasnt an interest or challenge (i never really knew about things like "OP" at the time, so i didnt think too much about how i was able to mow through other classes..man i could have earned those fancy titles and gear that are no longer available)

the game has gotten better. significantly.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2013-11-15 at 11:35 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Unique, you mean like how each one got stomped by Assa Rogues and Soul Link Warlocks in a slightly different time frame?
    Melee were unique in what speed they were killed by Frost Mages too.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

From F&F alpha until current day without ever cancelling a sub.

Deleted
    also forgot to mention earlier having the opening of the dark portal tabard "tabard of the protector".

Deleted
    I did.
    Vanilla for a 2004. game was a lot better then mop for a 2012. game, if thats what you subtlety ask.

I played from the start. Not beta though. I welcome no flying tbh, I'd be happy for them to remove it entirely if they felt it necessary (although I'd miss my drakes). However, no group finder again might be too annoying and I remember when there were no BG's too.....Tarren Mill raids were fun but I'd rather not go back to that now

I think the poll will be kind of skewed. The title sort of attracts those of us that played during vanilla, but not so much others.

Deleted
    I started playing like 4-5 months after the initial release. At that time darkmoon faire just launched. (somewhere around late July 2005) So yeah I started playing during vanilla

Edit: I played on Deathwing Eu, So in europe the game launched 4 months later than in US, just to clear that up..
    Eu launch date is February-11-2005

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    I think the poll will be kind of skewed. The title sort of attracts those of us that played during vanilla, but not so much others.
    Nailed it.

I started a bout 6 months into vanilla. And the OP is confusing "challenging" with "difficult". Difficult also includes things that are nuisances. If the game hadn't had the QoL changes it's had over the years, I would have stopped playing long ago. In fact, I probably would have stopped playing if there wasn't flying in Outland.

Be careful that your rose-colored nostalgia doesn't interfere with your memory. It took hours to get a group for a dungeon, and the whole time you were just running laps in lagforge. And more than half the time, your group fell apart in the time it took to get to the dungeon. Especially the half an hour journey to Dire Maul.

Yes, there are things that can be improved. But going backwards is nearly never the way to do that. Especially when people are touting tedium as a "challenge".

But who gives a shit? I don't understand these threads, I just don't, what does it MATTER? The majority of cocky vanilla players I have met are really bad players anyway exactly because they are cocky vanilla players and refuse to read up on anything. I really worry when a self-proclaimed vanilla player joins my raids.

I played in Vanilla, even tried alpha and beta. And I agree with OP

I played during Vanilla, although briefly. I don't think the two things are necessarily related, but in fact I do believe that the no-flying Draenor may turn out to be interesting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Started on release day (Europe), very fond memories of it, but the game had serious flaws, many I hated (tried a warrior, quicly switched to warlock...).
    Raiding was absolutely terrible back in the days. I used to be a casual, and I got to see 3 bosses of AQ20 and 4 bosses of ZG. Only UBRS was attainable for my guild. (Strat and Scholo were not raids, they were dungeons, we went there with 5 people when I was 60).

This is terrible design, you must be seriously deluded to think going back to a vanilla-like game would be enjoyable for anyone.
    I have been playing for so long, and only since Flex do I think this game is actually playable for raiders with real life schedules.

However, I can't believe these figures, they cannot be genuine...
    Last edited by Natylyaz; 2013-11-15 at 11:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except Wrath, I played since vanilla and until today, play-break etc (and took most of cataclysm break)
    So my total breaks are at least 3years + from wow
    So there are people who started in Wrath or Cataclysm who outplayed me easily, I'm not stick to wow for long time

I played during vanilla, didnt raid in it though and i hit 60 two days after TBC released. Im fine with no flying till the patch, not gonna bother me one bit. LFG is literally a god sent. nostalgia is one hell of a drug.
    The most trusted and reliable mainstream republican website: http://Dailystormer.com

Started playing mid-vanilla.

It was wonderful and fantastic at the time, but today it just wouldn't be. It was a different time.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest