Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

[Books] Recommend me a book or book series!

I'm looking for a book or book series to listen to on audiobook, I've exhausted my supply.

I much prefer fantasy, sci-fi, fact shows (radio) and satire over all other genre, but if something is exceptionally good I'll definetly give it a chance.
    My three favorite authors are George R.R. Martin, Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. I've probably listened to every single book by the two latter atleast 4-5 times over. Pratchett has written over 30 books, so that says a bit about how much I love his books.
    A Song of Ice and Fire is probably the only serious book series I've liked in a long time, but that's because the characters and story are exceptionally amazing.
    I've listened to the BBC radio series called Fry's English Delight, that was really fun to listen to, since I love both Fry and language.

I detest most regular fantasy books with chosen heroes, magical swords and all the other tired old cliché's like elves and dwarves.

I like to escape reality, but I want to do so with humor, intellect, depth and originality.
    I'm currently about to start listening to The Name of the Wind, because it was recommended to me.

So, do any of you know any books that might be in my taste?

15+ Year Old Account
    try Ender's Game. was going to recommend Wheel of Time but you said you don't like Regular fantasy...so...

i had to read Ender's game for a school assignment a few years back and i and very glad that i read it.

I assume you've read Dune.. but just incase you haven't

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently read the Mortal Instruments series (5 books total, 6th coming out soon) the Infernal Devices (3 books) both series are from the same author Cassandra Claire .

I think they are nice but dunno if you'll like them. It's about angelblood augmented humans fighting demons and other stuff. It has its own sense of humour and action.
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything by H.P. Lovecraft is good, so is The Foundation series by Issac Asimov.

"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm excited about all of the recommendations being posted. I was never a fan of fantasy novels...like at all til GoT became mainstream. Now I feel like an idiot for ignoring it for so long, keep the recommendations coming for us newbies

10+ Year Old Account
    I really enjoyed Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy, but it might be a little bleak for you, particularly the first book. Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books are pretty entertaining, and good sci-fi.

Edit: Also, should probably mention Neal Stephenson - his stuff is really dense, but Cryptonomicon was great, and Diamond Age would probably translate pretty well into audio.
    Last edited by Euphonious Monk; 2013-11-24 at 06:23 AM.

I have to agree with Ender's Game. Give it a go if you haven't read it, and preferably do so before you see the movie.

Deleted
    I'd recommend the authors David Eddings and Tamora Pierce. Both write fantasy.

Tamora Pierce's books is all about female heroines and is mostly suited for (female) teenagers. I still love to read them all at age 23 though She has some really awesome characters. Her books are in two different universes. Books number one in each is Alanna: The First Adventure and Sandry's Book (or The Magic in the Weaving depending on where you are)

David Eddings also has two universes he writes in. I'd say both series are for teenagers and up. There's politics, love, drama, fantasy, magic, all the good stuff. And humor. I really love his books. All of them!
    The first books in each universe is Pawn of Prophecy and The Diamond Throne. My favourite is the series that start with The Diamond Throne... Now go go

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    try Ender's Game. was going to recommend Wheel of Time but you said you don't like Regular fantasy...so...
    Ah yeah, I had forgotten about Ender's Game.
    I've heard about Wheel of Time but yes, it seems to be cliché.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    Anything by H.P. Lovecraft is good, so is The Foundation series by Issac Asimov.

I've listened to all Lovecraft and all others that were inspired by him to write related Cthulhu mythos books. I've also listened to all of The Foundation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elertai View Post

Tamora Pierce's books is all about female heroines and is mostly suited for (female) teenagers. I still love to read them all at age 23 though She has some really awesome characters. Her books are in two different universes. Books number one in each is Alanna: The First Adventure and Sandry's Book (or The Magic in the Weaving depending on where you are)

David Eddings also has two universes he writes in. I'd say both series are for teenagers and up. There's politics, love, drama, fantasy, magic, all the good stuff. And humor. I really love his books. All of them!
    The first books in each universe is Pawn of Prophecy and The Diamond Throne. My favourite is the series that start with The Diamond Throne... Now go go
    Eddings has been repeating himself for decades now. I remember reading the Belgarion series as a teenager, and tried readign Eddings again as an adult, and really didn't like it.
    Teenage books don't really appeal to me, being an adult. That said, anything exceptional is usually worth a look. But Eddings is to me, far from exceptional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elertai View Post

I like David Edding's books, but I wouldn't recommend it for the OP since they said they dislike Chosen Ones and magic swords.

I'd strongly suggest Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, or practically anything else he writes (although Mistborn is a very good starting point.) He's marvelous at subverting and twisting fantasy cliches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

I've listened to all Lovecraft and all others that were inspired by him to write related Cthulhu mythos books. I've also listened to all of The Foundation.

Oh dang, well have you tried Neuromancer by William Gibson, or anything by Phillip K. Dick?
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PatB View Post
    I assume you've read Dune.. but just incase you haven't
    I haven't, actually. But I'm under the impression it's rather dark, slow and extremely complicated. Not that that is a bad thing, Song of Ice and Fire is quite heavy as well.

For sci-fi I highly recommend The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. It's military science fiction involving large scale fleet battles. The series tries to be very realistic with physics and how ships and tactics would be designed when communication is limited by the speed of light and ships are engaging each other head on at a good portion of the speed of light. One of my favorite sci-fi series.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnshadow View Post
    I'd strongly suggest Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, or practically anything else he writes (although Mistborn is a very good starting point.) He's marvelous at subverting and twisting fantasy cliches.
    I read the synposis and it sounds a bit too predictable. It's a cliché to be anti-cliché, so to speak. Gentlemen theives? Yeah, NEVER seen that before...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalis View Post
    For sci-fi I highly recommend The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. It's military science fiction involving large scale fleet battles. The series tries to be very realistic with physics and how ships and tactics would be designed when communication is limited by the speed of light and ships are engaging each other head on at a good portion of the speed of light. One of my favorite sci-fi series.
    Jack Campbell is a golden God as far as I'm concerned.

Since that's been suggested, the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons is my contribution. First two are great, second two are great, but in a different way; you'll see.

Other than that, The Magicians by Lev Grossman is pretty good, too, but it's not really sci-fi. Lev Grossman is just a good bro and I feel like I should shout him out.

more of a semi-historical fiction but i just finished up The Pillars of The Earth. I found it sorta slow at first but it's definitely worth a read. This coming from a major Douglas Adams fanboy lol
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I read the synposis and it sounds a bit too predictable. It's a cliché to be anti-cliché, so to speak. Gentlemen theives? Yeah, NEVER seen that before...
    Well, yeah, Mistborn: The Final Empire is a fantasy setting heist novel. Of course it has gentlemen thieves; that's like complaining that a fantasy novel has magic.

How about Elantris? It's a stand-alone book rather than a trilogy, and has an interesting premise and some very cool plot twists of its own.