Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Adryal View Post
    Been playing WoW since BC, I have a beautiful wife that understands that I love WoW, she never gets pissed if i play too much, just fantstic overall. But I was thinking how amazing it would be if I could somehow get her into it (she's not a big gamer). So if you have got your S/O to start playing WoW how did you do it?
    Well, my girlfriend knew that I thoroughly enjoyed WoW. I made it pretty clear when we first started "talking". After we moved in together I handed her my computer (just a little over a month ago) and suggested she make a character and mess around a bit. She made a mage and quested up to level 6 and then we had to do other things.

Her friend came over that night and they were drinking and I ended up going to bed early because I had work the next day. She texts me at work the next day to tell me that she had made her own account after I went to bed and quested to almost level 10 lol.

So, basically, what I thought was going to be a hassle turned out really simple, because she's a huge fucking nerd. And I love it.

I havent, I actually met my husband playing WoW but I have helped others do it. The BIG thing is making sure she doesnt feel lost which is so easy to do in WoW for a new player. You need to be patient and helpful without doing everything for her. Many women get burnt out because they feel lost when its their first MMO or game like this. Now all this is really the how to make her enjoy the game and stick with it... to get her to actually play as others have said.. just ask! Remember WOW can be fun for non gamers but unless you help her have fun she will get lost and stop playing FAST!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Never again in my experience

WoW is ME time, it's healthier not being in each others face 24 7
    wow.. must be the relationship. My husband and I LOVE sitting and gaming next to each when he is home.. except for him working its pretty much me and him all the time. Well until Jan when our baby comes =P

15+ Year Old Account
    My fiancé asked me 6 years ago (just before we started dating) if I wanted to be her epic mount... so... I don't really have a lot of advice on how to get them to start playing. Easiest way is to find one that already plays in my experience!

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Never again in my experience

WoW is ME time, it's healthier not being in each others face 24 7
    I met my boyfriend during ICC and we've been together going on 4 years now. We raid heroic SoO together (inb4 omg couples can't raid they all cause drama! - that's false). Sometimes we level alts together, but for the most part he does his lfrs and flexes on his own, and I do mine. You can both play the same game without being in a group 24/7
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    judging 25man raiding by LFR standards saying it requires no coordination, is like saying 5mans require cheese sandwiches because i like turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoou View Post
    I havent, I actually met my husband playing WoW but I have helped others do it. The BIG thing is making sure she doesnt feel lost which is so easy to do in WoW for a new player. You need to be patient and helpful without doing everything for her. Many women get burnt out because they feel lost when its their first MMO or game like this. Now all this is really the how to make her enjoy the game and stick with it... to get her to actually play as others have said.. just ask! Remember WOW can be fun for non gamers but unless you help her have fun she will get lost and stop playing FAST!
    This is probably some of the best advice if you DO get her to try it.

-Don't rush her.
    -Don't try to "make her a good player". As in, when she's leveling, let her level. If you start talking about min/maxing or any other shit, or tell her she's doing something wrong, you're gonna lose her quick. Let her learn, let her fuck up, let her "be bad" because we all were at some point.
    -Don't start with RAF. My girlfriend and I just retroactively added RAF because she asked for it, but getting to max level should be a decision SHE makes, not you.
    -If she wants to take 45 minutes to run around that mountain and see what's on the other side, you better damn well follow her and find out what's on the other side. Don't tell her "oh, nothing" or "it's just a building". Remember when you started playing? Shit like that felt super cool. Let her explore.
    -Basically, let her play the game at her pace, however she wants, and you follow her around and be a good boyfriend, otherwise you're gonna lose her.

The game has been funneled into a "hit max level and go into LFR or raid". That's not terrible for those of us who have played for years and have long since done all our exploring, etc.. But for a new player, it's important to just let her do whatever she damn well pleases.

Remember that magic you felt when you first started? Let her have that same feel.

Deleted
    Nah WoW is like any hobby, it's my own zone to relax from RL, I don't want RL invading that. Obviously some people like doing everything together I however enjoy my own space. In fact when in company I rarely game, instead we go out or cuddle in front of TV. Perhaps if we was in same room playing WoW I may but in past experience having a partner ingame hinders my fun due to constantly pausing for innate conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Jordaen View Post
    I met my boyfriend during ICC and we've been together going on 4 years now. We raid heroic SoO together (inb4 omg couples can't raid they all cause drama! - that's false). Sometimes we level alts together, but for the most part he does his lfrs and flexes on his own, and I do mine. You can both play the same game without being in a group 24/7
    this, sounds a lot like the hubby and I. We dont really raid anymore because of my pregnancy and not being that into it since Cata but we ran a fairly successful guild together. I was GM and raid leader, he was back up and main tank. They only drama that even remotely had to do with us as a couple was this lil 16 yr old girl that attached herself to my husband because she liked older men.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post

-Don't rush her.
    -Don't try to "make her a good player". As in, when she's leveling, let her level. If you start talking about min/maxing or any other shit, or tell her she's doing something wrong, you're gonna lose her quick. Let her learn, let her fuck up, let her "be bad" because we all were at some point.
    -Don't start with RAF. My girlfriend and I just retroactively added RAF because she asked for it, but getting to max level should be a decision SHE makes, not you.
    -If she wants to take 45 minutes to run around that mountain and see what's on the other side, you better damn well follow her and find out what's on the other side. Don't tell her "oh, nothing" or "it's just a building". Remember when you started playing? Shit like that felt super cool. Let her explore.
    -Basically, let her play the game at her pace, however she wants, and you follow her around and be a good boyfriend, otherwise you're gonna lose her.

The game has been funneled into a "hit max level and go into LFR or raid". That's not terrible for those of us who have played for years and have long since done all our exploring, etc.. But for a new player, it's important to just let her do whatever she damn well pleases.

Remember that magic you felt when you first started? Let her have that same feel.
    thank you and very nice break down of it.. may easier to understand than my sporatic info =P

@adam86shadow to each their own =D

Yes, breifly. She was very bad. Wouldn't let her on the same server as my guild let alone in it. She quit.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

I asked her, was as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Yes, breifly. She was very bad. Wouldn't let her on the same server as my guild let alone in it. She quit.
    lol Inj, you're such an asshole =P

10+ Year Old Account
    I met my fiance on WoW a a few years back. My guild pugged him as a tank for our ICC run. I was a huge noob back then and knew nothing of anything in the game. I guess he found it charming. We had a falling out however in which we didn't speak for months until we, again, met in an ICC pug run. He apologised and we got to talking again. By that time I was the main tank of our guild and knew a whole lot more of the ways of the warcraft :P

We found out we didn't live too far from each other and met up, the rest is history

I do get annoyed if he plays too much. I'm a gamer myself but have other hobbies aswell, so I can find it grating when he spends 20 hours glued to the computer the few days we actually have off work at the same time :P

If you want your wifey to start playing WoW I'd suggest let her have at it alone. Don't quest with her and stress her or show her where stuff is. Just show her where to find alright guides on the net and she'll fix the rest for herself. That first trip through Azeroth is better savoured mostly alone or with other noobs, in my experience.
    Last edited by Boxilot; 2013-11-26 at 07:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxilot View Post
    If you want your wifey to start playing WoW I'd suggest let her have at it alone. Don't quest with her and stress her or show her where stuff is. Just show her where to find alright guides on the net and she'll fix the rest for herself. That first trip through Azeroth is better savoured mostly alone or with other noobs, in my experience.
    Depends of the woman. When I started and my dude was already "pro", every time I asked him something, he told me "google it" or something. The thing with google is that it's hard to find answer to specific questions that a total new player could encounter. I was mad at him all the time for being like that, why would I waste 10+ mins to type in different searches, just to find one basic tip I need to know, if he could just explain me that in no more than a minute. And I always questioned his answers too, because I'm the type of person who must understand something in-depth to take it for truth, and if something in his words didn't make sense, I asked "why this, not that" and got him almost mad at me for "trying to argue with him about everything" apparently. While I just would've appreciated lots of support and information from him with some patience to answer all my questions that might come up.

-Don't rush her.

Yeah, this is an awesome breakdown and great advice. It's been hard for me to not min/max or "oversee" my boyfriend's play style... I explain some things, like "you want intellect and spirit on most of your gear, and never agility or strength," just really basic, but I try to let him have as free reign as possible. If he finds a quest hub or quest chain and says he thinks it sounds interesting, but I know it's not part of the "optimal" line through the zone.... I shut the hell up and we do the quest chain. If he wants to do professions and spend an hour herbing and exploring, I let him- I'm using Heirlooms to be a couple levels ahead anyway, so I can afford for him to catch up a bit by gathering. I've been new, I've had my exploration time, and it's his turn. It's my job to try and make sure he has fun and experiences some of the same "new player" magic that I enjoyed years ago.

Remember that it's a game, and for most new players, especially if they're non-gamers or casual gamers, it has to be about having fun, not being "optimal" or speeding to level cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Yeah, this is an awesome breakdown and great advice. It's been hard for me to not min/max or "oversee" my boyfriend's play style... I explain some things, like "you want intellect and spirit on most of your gear, and never agility or strength," just really basic, but I try to let him have as free reign as possible. If he finds a quest hub or quest chain and says he thinks it sounds interesting, but I know it's not part of the "optimal" line through the zone.... I shut the hell up and we do the quest chain. If he wants to do professions and spend an hour herbing and exploring, I let him- I'm using Heirlooms to be a couple levels ahead anyway, so I can afford for him to catch up a bit by gathering. I've been new, I've had my exploration time, and it's his turn. It's my job to try and make sure he has fun and experiences some of the same "new player" magic that I enjoyed years ago.

Remember that it's a game, and for most new players, especially if they're non-gamers or casual gamers, it has to be about having fun, not being "optimal" or speeding to level cap.
    Last night my gf wanted to try a healer, so we rerolled again (we're still on RAF). She actually did really well considering we were dungeon leveling and were still in mostly level 1 gear at level 30+ lol. We got up to 39 last night, and I explained the basics to her on what healing was and what she'd want to use, etc. She took to it really well and after we got done said she wants to try tanking.

The only hitch we found was one run where the baby was crying so she got up and the tank died and he started talking shit trying to boot her. She got a little offended (because she's not used to the fact that WoW is full of assbags just yet) and wanted to stop, but we did a few more and she got her confidence back.

Pretty cool to see how much she enjoys the game and how well she takes to new roles, etc. so quickly. Now just to build her a better computer and maybe we'll be raiding together in WoD haha

lol Inj, you're such an asshole =P
    That does seem to be the consensus at times right?
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Deleted
    Me: "My new pc will arive tomorrow!"
    Bf: "Nice, now you can finally play some proper games."
    Me: "Yeah, like WoW?"
    Bf: "Yeah, we could play WoW."

And so it began. I'm not sure if I actually got him playing or he me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    I met my long standing girlfriend in wotlk during a classic bwl run. From there we became really good friends for about a year before getting to know each other romantically. It's been a wonderful 5 years.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

The best I could get out of her was Candy Crush. She now plays that far more than I play any game hahaha

Deleted
    I had my ex bf playing WoW since open beta and I wanted to know more about it - so it was the interest in the first place. Then he said to me I could make a character on his account and then it wasn't long until I had my own.

10+ Year Old Account
    I met my wife in WoW. I consider myself one of those guys lucky enough to be married to a gamer girl. She plays games all day to the point where I get left alone playing games all day myself without any interruptions.