Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Best DPS raiding class?

Hello!

I'm thinking about trying to get into mythic raiding once WoD hits, but I'm unsure which class I should choose. Which is best for raiding? I would assume utility is greatly appreciated in a raid, as well as survivability, alongside actual damage.

The classes I'm considering right now are the following.

WW Monk:
    • Great movement
    • Acceptable utility (level 75 talents, zen meditation and some buffs)
    • Mediocre DPS? (according to the parses from raidbot)

Elemental Shaman:
    • Acceptable movement (ghost wolf)
    • Great utility (Astral Shift, Blood Lust, HST, Hex, Healing Rain, Ancestral Guidance)
    • Has a nice healing off spec
    • Mediocre DPS?

Arcane Mage:
    • Mediocre movement (Arcane works best when you're stationary, but you do have blink to quickly get out of stuff)
    • Mediocre utility (Time Warp, Ice Block, Greater Invisibility)
    • Great DPS

Which of these three is the best raiding class? I'm kinda leaning towards either monk or shaman, but they don't seem to provide that much damage (if anyone wants to prove otherwise, go ahead!).

Thanks in advance.

replace healing rain with healing tide totem which is a really nice raid cooldown, you just don't cast healing rain, maybe in 10's but 25's it's just a waste of a GCD, elemental claws back some of the low dps on high movement/high cleave fights.

Deleted
    Don't select a class because of its dps. It'll change very often, Arcane Mages might be good now but they could be terrible dps in WoD. Then fantastic again in 6.1 and so on.

warlocks

Movement: lvl 75 talent

Utility: HS, gates

DPS: the best.

/thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few points from my PoV. Mything being 20 man means very few melee spots if encounters follow the same pattern as they have for the last dozen tiers.

WW monk bringing little to no utility with mediocre single target dps isn't exactly an exciting pickup nor does it warrant a melee spot

Mage in heroic raiding (mythic) you cant really limit your self to one spec. On some encounters fire may very well dominate arcane and in other cases you might need additional burst aoe which means you might have to play frost. Playing as a mage means to min max you have to be fluent in all 3 specs which might be a hassle if you're new to the class all together.

Elemental shaman brings great through put healing utility as well as the strongest AoE in the game. Single target being mediocre but a solid elemental shaman is always a great pickup.

Imo I would go elemental but of course thats just me and you should play what you want to play.
    This is also ignorant to any complete class overhauls that can occur over the next 6months before WoD which could change anything and everything.
    Last edited by Felocity; 2013-11-29 at 06:13 PM.

Number 1 Enchantment shaman world 8) soon to be deathknight

10+ Year Old Account
    you have to play whatever you're best at. which is usually the class you have the most fun playing.

Since this is about is mythic raiding in WoD I would wait until about 1 month till release of it before you decide as then you will have a grasp on the new 100 talents as well as the spec buffs from levelings. Also like Arcrin raid warlock is just top atm overall but hopefully that changes with WoD.

To be 100% honest with you, it's impossible to call it before WoD comes out and classes are balanced at level 100. With that being said, history has all but proven that if you are a mage or a warlock, you're the most likely candidate for a mythic raid spot as DPS.

Deleted
    I played an elemental shaman in cataclysm and I found my dps was just screwed around so much, whereas with the 3 specs that a mage has it's very likely you'll have at least 1 that gives competitive dps - For that reason I'd choose a mage. Coincidentally I actually now play a mage as my main character .

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    replace healing rain with healing tide totem which is a really nice raid cooldown, you just don't cast healing rain, maybe in 10's but 25's it's just a waste of a GCD, elemental claws back some of the low dps on high movement/high cleave fights.
    had great uses of it on thok 10 hc.

Deleted
    Warlocks have been OP since the start, I bet they'll stay OP 'till the end of WoW.

Either that or Mage.

Yes, let me pick the class you'll play for you based on statistics and information from right now that will become outdated and obsolete for the time you actually plan to raid. That's an excellent plan.

Go Shaman.

From just those three? Elemental Shaman.

Out of all possible classes? Warlock. Amazing utility and DPS.

The correct answer is always, always, something that wears a dress. Blizzard prefers effete weakling classes, so you should go with mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukov View Post
    Hello!

I'm thinking about trying to get into mythic raiding once WoD hits, but I'm unsure which class I should choose. Which is best for raiding? I would assume utility is greatly appreciated in a raid, as well as survivability, alongside actual damage.

The classes I'm considering right now are the following.

WW Monk:
    • Great movement
    • Acceptable utility (level 75 talents, zen meditation and some buffs)
    • Mediocre DPS? (according to the parses from raidbot)

Elemental Shaman:
    • Acceptable movement (ghost wolf)
    • Great utility (Astral Shift, Blood Lust, HST, Hex, Healing Rain, Ancestral Guidance)
    • Has a nice healing off spec
    • Mediocre DPS?

Arcane Mage:
    • Mediocre movement (Arcane works best when you're stationary, but you do have blink to quickly get out of stuff)
    • Mediocre utility (Time Warp, Ice Block, Greater Invisibility)
    • Great DPS

Which of these three is the best raiding class? I'm kinda leaning towards either monk or shaman, but they don't seem to provide that much damage (if anyone wants to prove otherwise, go ahead!).

Thanks in advance.
    If yuo level it for WoD Mythic rading probably all DPS spec will be valiable and personal skill matter more then class but if you realy looking for best DPS usulay Warlock are always good and they always got atlest 1 spec in top

But overal vith each expansion dps of clases to much more in like and what matter msot is class unque stuffl like immunites, powerfull raid cd or unique utilities the healp in specific encounter

So if you not going for world first better play what you like becous good player always will find spot no mater what class he/she play

Deleted
    Ele shamans bring a lot for the raid and their cleave on 3+ targets in up there as the strongest in the game. They also bring some great raid wide buffs and have a pretty decent amount of survivablity.

I played WW monk in a top 10 25m guild and they bring zip zero zlich to the raid. I was sat for pretty much everything during ToT progress as they brought sub par dps and zero utility. We ran with 1 and that was our raid leader, they did bring great burst AOE but that was about it. I hastily quit after that tier even though I was asked to re roll to rogue which was far superior at the time.

Arcane mages are the bomb. They have always been DPS powerhouses but offer next to nothing to the raid. Also, being ranged has so many advantages.

I'm actually playing Ele myself atm casually, they are fun to play and they can do so many jobs. They bring some great utility and raid wide buffs, I expect I'll play Ele in WoD in a world class guild again. Ele is a bring 1 maybe 2 depending on the fight kinda spec. They are so reliant on gear though, mastery in particular, to pull dps on par with other classes that may not need so much gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arcrin View Post
    warlocks

Movement: lvl 75 talent

Utility: HS, gates

DPS: the best.

/thread.
    Also, this.

Id go mage, shammys are fotm and melee numbers are going to drop, alot. Mages usually always have 1 safe spec

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Regarding warlock, I do realize the advantages of being one, but I just don't really like the feel of them. It's very unfortunate that the classes are this imbalanced.

As it looks now, I might go with shaman. The utility is great, and they're capable of off healing, which is a great addition to a raid (I think). And while monk actually looks very appealing in terms of game play and animations (in other words, it looks fun to play), I don't see anything that points to them being a viable choice. But who knows, as others have said in the thread, it might change over the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Gospels View Post
    Id go mage, shammys are fotm and melee numbers are going to drop, alot. Mages usually always have 1 safe spec

How is (elemental) shaman FOTM? They provide great utility, sure, but when haven't they done that? Their DPS is mediocre, which is what often determines which class is FOTM.
    Last edited by Dukov; 2013-11-29 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukov View Post
    How is (elemental) shaman FOTM? They provide great utility, sure, but when haven't they done that? Their DPS is mediocre, which is what often determines which class is FOTM.
    They really aren't FOTM. They're actually in pretty high demand, because:

1.) One of the few classes/specs that brings 5% spell haste to a raid (only other options are shadow priest, balance druid, and a hunter with the sporebat pet).
    2.) One of the few classes/specs able to DPS on the move without suffering much of a loss. The only other ranged class that can truly do this are hunters, as any others either have to stay stationary to use their stronger spells, or can only use filler spells/dots while moving.
    3.) Very strong cleave, typically in the top 3 classes/specs.
    4.) Strong utility, in the form of auras, totems, and back-up heals (Ancestral Guidance, Healing Stream, Healing Tide, Healing Rain when necessary).

Just watch the guild recruitment forums sometimes. Ele shamans tend to get snatched up quickly.

Deleted
    Is it only ARCANE mage you wanna play ? If you're flexible with the spec, mage will be your best choice here.
    There will always be one good spec out of the 3 for current content, whereas WW and Elemental are not always...competitive.

Also mage is so much fun
    (and tbh if they take away some of the op'ness of the locks in the WoD we might shine a lot)