Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    That's just amazing ty.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I never thought we'd beat Colonial Marines but this episode has given some fantastic moments. Some one needs to make that with actual video and music.

I love how it's still being sold at £39.99. Game ain't worth £10.99 let alone 30.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game should have been on sale in the Halloween sale as it's been such an horrific experience for all involved (except elim off)

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    3. No Man´s Sky - no reviews, no outside gameplay video, everything kept dark. But still did a $60 pre-order 6 months before launch from a developer that never had released a previous real title.
    Just because I enjoy pointing out when someone is wrong. http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/joe-danger http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...er-2-the-movie

NMS is shit though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I love how it's still being sold at £39.99. Game ain't worth £10.99 let alone 30.
    I imagine even if they did do a discount, they'd still get virtually strung up & told it's still not remotely worth the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    That's just amazing ty.
    Really hope someone does a good singing of this

lol, it's been upgraded.

https://i.imgur.com/LUssCEP.gifv

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps all of this NMS mess has finally spawned something good.

https://imgur.com/a/4EwP0

Soon, all images of the game being sold, must be screen shots.
    Last edited by mmoca2c81d9292; 2016-11-01 at 04:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It has nothing to do with NMS. Valve themselves even do it as they stated in their blog and DOTA2 artwork. All of the issues with NMS would still exist with game screenshots since Valve doesn't specify release build screenshots. And I highly doubt this was influenced at all by NMS since tons of games do it.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

lol, it's been upgraded.

That's just awesome lol.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Just because I enjoy pointing out when someone is wrong. http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/joe-danger http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...er-2-the-movie

NMS is shit though.
    note that I said ´real´ title. The games they made before were tiny games.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    note that I said ´real´ title. The games they made before were tiny games.
    Pretty sure both games I linked are real titles.

Real
    adjective
    actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed

People keep linking this to No Man's Sky, but I'm not sure why. No Man's Sky included in-game screenshots and videos for Steam only, they did not include any artwork. One can question whether they're bullshots or not, but that's on Steam to verify before allowing them to upload. Because if companies can't upload bullshots anymore, then a lot of AAA titles are about to start looking much worse on their store pages : P

Either way, this seems to have nothing to do with No Man's Sky in the slightest. Hell, the example Valve used for a "bad" game was Dota 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    There are? God damn, and here I was thinking that I would be a special snow flake >.<
    Maybe it's me (and the others?) who’s confusing the meaning of "pre-rendering"? =/

I just thought that by this:

"Regardless of the content in your game, please make sure that images uploaded to the 'screenshot' section of your store page are actually screenshots of your game,"

They would also include content like the No Man’s Sky first video, where they show people a giant creature trampling around (funny that Murray even admitted in an interview that doing something like that would be simply “misleading”) around 1 minute mark when nothing like that actually exists in the real game…
    That we know of, I mean, everything can technically exist, it just hasn't been discovered yet! : P

But seriously, there's a certain level of leeway with these screenshots as Valve is surely not going to be taking the time to manually approve them all or even manually look over flagged screenshots with human eyes each time. It's why bullshots have been so pervasive and are so rarely called out, because it's easy to touch up images, to stage them in specific ways that can likely never occur in-game but are still very much "in-game" screenshots etc.

The screenshots were absolutely not the trigger point for the outcry against NMS, nor were even individual trailers. They were elements (especially the trailers), but I'd be very surprised if this change was spurred on by NMS alone. It may have just given them another small nudge, but this has been something that's needed to happen for quite some time.

I'm still interested in the game, though at a much cheaper price. I'm trying to figure out why it's still $60. When it drops to $10, I'll probably pick it up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    They would also include content like the No Man’s Sky first video, where they show people a giant creature trampling around (funny that Murray even admitted in an interview that doing something like that would be simply “misleading”) around 1 minute mark when nothing like that actually exists in the real game…
    Not if it was recorded with the in-game engine. Besides the change specifically references screenshots and not video's because Steam putting greater emphasis on the screenshots a game offers for their store discovery system. The change is to stop artwork or concept art from being displayed in the game screenshot section. Nothing more and Nothing less. NMS might have concept art instead of in-game screenshots but plenty of games have it
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Not if it was recorded with the in-game engine.
    See, that's where it gets interesting, because I don't think Valve is explicit about it in the way that they need to be.

They say "Regardless of the content in your game, please make sure that images uploaded to the 'screenshot' section of your store page are actually screenshots of your game", which is well and good. But what about if it's an image of the game using higher settings than are actually in the retail version of the game? What if it's a heavily staged image that isn't remotely representative of actual gameplay but is still an in-game screenshot? What if it's just in-engine screenshots that allow for them to do all kinds of general bullshit (basically the two earlier examples) rather than actual gameplay shots? etc. etc.

There's all kinds of ways to still technically be an "actual screenshot" of your game while still absolutely bullshotting the shit out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Besides the change specifically references screenshots and not video's because Steam putting greater emphasis on the screenshots a game offers for their store discovery system. The change is to stop artwork or concept art from being displayed in the game screenshot section. Nothing more and Nothing less. NMS might have concept art instead of in-game screenshots but plenty of games have it
    Agreed, though last I checked NMS doesn't even have concept art, it's all in-game screenshots. Whether those screenshots are doctored/staged/etc. or not is up for debate though, and that's where we get into that very large gray area that Valve, in their usual form, left open due to their hands off approach and usual issues with clear communication.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    See, that's where it gets interesting, because I don't think Valve is explicit about it in the way that they need to be.

They say "Regardless of the content in your game, please make sure that images uploaded to the 'screenshot' section of your store page are actually screenshots of your game", which is well and good. But what about if it's an image of the game using higher settings than are actually in the retail version of the game? What if it's a heavily staged image that isn't remotely representative of actual gameplay but is still an in-game screenshot? What if it's just in-engine screenshots that allow for them to do all kinds of general bullshit (basically the two earlier examples) rather than actual gameplay shots? etc. etc.

There's all kinds of ways to still technically be an "actual screenshot" of your game while still absolutely bullshotting the shit out of it.

Agreed, though last I checked NMS doesn't even have concept art, it's all in-game screenshots. Whether those screenshots are doctored/staged/etc. or not is up for debate though, and that's where we get into that very large gray area that Valve, in their usual form, left open due to their hands off approach and usual issues with clear communication.
    Also they could state "Welp, this our game" & meanwhile, it's screenshots at 8k res with filters courtesy of Sweetfx & 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 mods (one per planet perhaps ;p) & technically it is still their game, just not realiably at what anyone would be able to play it at.

Definitely needs better phrasing.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently HG have been busy on FB deleting posts, according to Reddit.

15+ Year Old Account

I imagine even if they did do a discount, they'd still get virtually strung up & told it's still not remotely worth the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Really hope someone does a good singing of this

lol, it's been upgraded.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps all of this NMS mess has finally spawned something good.

https://imgur.com/a/4EwP0

Someone did!

10+ Year Old Account
    I played the game today, I thought it was quite interesting, definitely pay £10 for it even after all the drama.